Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
CellWriter as an alternative to VisionObjects recognition?

Hi!

This is just to bring attection to this program:

http://risujin.org/cellwriter/

It's a lot less powerful tha the integrated visionobjects handwriting recognition (it's cell-based), but it can be a reasonable substitute for when we substitute the OS and have to get an alternative working .
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
It looks like very sweet. This very feature caught my eyes: "can be trained to generate any Unicode character". I will have a try surely. Thanx for the info.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I tried to port it over a while ago but had no luck (the window didn't want to show up in scratchbox...). It also needs the context menu for some actions (correcting letters etc.), so that would have to be hacked out.

It also has an on-screen keyboard, so this thing could be a complete replacement for the current one
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Ithe window didn't want to show up
Screen refresh is quite a problem. I fialed to port a multi-lang IME for iLiad for the same reason.
Unless xepdmgr can take over the whole screen refreshing tesks, I think it's not possible to port CellWriter for iLiad.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I already had that problem inside the scratchbox environment on my PC, not yet on the device itself. But I figured it out now: Just had to add a parameter to open the main window:
Code:
cellwriter --show-window
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru

Then I can sit back to my couch and wait for your test result.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Watching with interest....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
This is just to bring attection to this program:
http://risujin.org/cellwriter/
Looks cool!

But this requires newer gtk+ than available on the Iliad. Also a newer pango. Also a decent cairo...

Has anybody done some serious work on upgrades for those libraries? I have build some of them but a full set will be quite big...
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
ericshliao
Guru

Ah, I didn't notice that CellWriter requires newer version GTK+ and Pango. It seems that I must test it on my own.
I am using GTK+2.10 on my iLiad. The fundamental X libs, pango, cairo, glib... are all upgraded, too. I have also compiled GTL+2.12 and 2.14 for iLiad but never used them actually, because 2.10 seems working ok.
Yes, the whole set is rather big. So I put all the newer lib in MMC/SD (still lack the courage to replace original libs). I am thinking to put them it /mnt/free, but putting them in MMC/SD makes the maintanence more convenient.
As to that serious work, I don't know if they are serious enough, some app packages (fbreader, stardict, ebview, midori, sylpheed, 好讀, imanga, djview4) that I released are compiled to work on GTK+2.10.

Last edited by ericshliao; 02-27-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
ericshliao
Guru

Before I actually try CellWriter, I would like to hear some advice on the issue of screen refreshment. I have thought this problem for some time.
Suppose CellWriter is called when I use ipdf, how can it get screen refreshed? I don't think it's possible.
Suppose CellWriter is called when I use some app running on xepdmgr, will xepdmgr also refresh screen for CellWriter?

Last edited by ericshliao; 02-27-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Before I actually try CellWriter, I would like to hear some advice on the issue of screen refreshment. I have thought this problem for some time.
Suppose CellWriter is called when I use ipdf, how can it get screen refreshed? I don't think it's possible.
Suppose CellWriter is called when I use some app running on xepdmgr, will xepdmgr also refresh screen for CellWriter?
Short answer: with xepdmgr running the cellwriter window will be correctly updated.

Long answer:

Of course, if you use ipdf, it will not get refreshed un less you put the appropiate liberdm calls in it.

But if you are using it with some app running on xepdmgr, xepdmgr will refresh it correctly, as for the time being, it doesn't have any exclude regions (I want to incorporate Hansel's code to detect the presence of the readerim window and exclude it, but I haven't had time to hack it; anyway, it would only exclude the readerim window, cellwriter's would be updated).

For the ipdf problem, the solution is to have xepdmgr running as a substitude for displayMgr, but I have not had time to look at the issues you found in that scenario.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 AM   #12
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

As is, Xepdmgr will refresh the whole display. It would happen once in a while (say every second), not streaming as for the current keyboard. I think that Cellwriter may work, but in a less less comfortable way than the current thing.
Xepdmgr mus be configured in such way that it does not cause to many redraws: a high cpu load would disturb the drawing...
EDIT: Nice to see everyone online and typing

Last edited by hansel; 02-27-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
ericshliao
Guru

Here is CellWriter for iLiad. I have tested that its GUI is working. The others are left for you people who want to test. I think I have to play with CellWriter on my desktop to learn how to use it.

Note:
1. The attached image is the screen shots I captured via VNC server on iLiad for proof. I only got this far for now. Furthermore test will be done later.
2. There are two attached rar archives. I think only "cellwriter.rar" is needed. Unrar the package and put it in dir "programs" in your SD/MMC (55MB free required), and there will be a dir "cellwriter". Execute cellwriter from conteltlister. I think "lib.rar" should not be needed.
3. Although xepdmgr is included in the package, I does not use it because I added an option "--show-window" suggested by Thomas. Please try if it will work with xepdmgr. Screen refreshment can be obtained by tapping on Page icon on the lower bottom.
To people who want to use cellwriter with xepdmgr, please insert the line in "run.sh":
Code:
./xepdmgr :0 ./bin/cellwriter --show-window
4. None of the source code is modified. I just do "./configure --without-gnome --with-x --prefix=/media/card/programs/cellwriter", "make", and "make install".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-02-27_193454.png
Views:	409
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	24531   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-02-27_195145.png
Views:	379
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	24532   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-02-27_195211.png
Views:	389
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	24533  
Attached Files
File Type: rar cellwriter.rar (14.73 MB, 321 views)
File Type: rar lib.rar (11.20 MB, 326 views)

Last edited by ericshliao; 02-27-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #14
hansel
JSR FFD2

Hi ericshliao,

COOL! nice exploit!

a bit of topic, but...
can you give some tips about crosscompiling the gtk+ libraries? I've got some of them compiled (glib, cairo, pango), but cannot build gtk+ itself...
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
ericshliao
Guru

I am glad to share it. I guess why I can port newer GTK+ is because I built whole X from scratch. I also have a GCC3.4.4 built by crosstool. So, everything I have in my ScratchBox environment is different from the common vmware image.
Since you have compiled atk, pango, cairo..., you should be near the goal. I don't know if the above words work for you. I didn't add any fancy config when I compiled GTK+. I just do "./configure", "make", and "make install".

Last edited by ericshliao; 02-27-2009 at 07:49 AM.