Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
WadsUpDoc
WadsUpDoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by modified View Post
Another resident of the little red dot here as well.

@WadsUpDoc
I asked that same question a few weeks ago before my PW arrived.

Personally, I have the screensavers hack (if you have the non-SO version) and the Collections Manager installed.

I'm not sure if jb helps with debricking, this is better asked in the Kindle Developer's Corner forum.

I am generally quite happy with my PW (502). I would be hard-pressed to call the screen terrible even though I do see some very slight pink blotches at max brightness. I have the PW for almost 2 weeks now, and have never found the need to read at the brightest setting (it's kinda uncomfortable to be honest). I set it at level 5 on the very first day, and had no need to tinker with it since.

And yes, I have seen people using the Kindle here in Singapore. I saw someone with the DX about a week ago, but the K3 and K5/PW are more common. I rely on public transport for my commute, so the odds are better for me.
Icic. Guess I'll probably use my PW for awhile before deciding whether to jailbreak or not. Btw, did you register your Kindle with a Singapore address? Heard of some possible complications with Amazon for Singapore users
WadsUpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
My Amazon account has 2 addresses (SG + US) with the US one as the one-click default.

I purchase ebooks using the gift card + VPN method (see Jeff Yen's definitive guide for how to do so http://jeffyen.blogspot.sg/2012/09/a...singapore.html). Haven't had a problem for the last 2+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadsUpDoc View Post
Icic. Guess I'll probably use my PW for awhile before deciding whether to jailbreak or not. Btw, did you register your Kindle with a Singapore address? Heard of some possible complications with Amazon for Singapore users
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My Amazon account has 2 addresses (SG + US) with the US one as the one-click default.

I purchase ebooks using the gift card + VPN method (see Jeff Yen's definitive guide for how to do so http://jeffyen.blogspot.sg/2012/09/a...singapore.html). Haven't had a problem for the last 2+ years.
Isn't by-passing the geo-restrictions with an illegal vpn a reason for Amazon to bann someone? Be careful.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
WadsUpDoc

Quote:

Thanks! It seems that we have to pay for the VPN? And he also mentioned that we have to buy a gift card into the account? Is this really necessary?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Yes and yes. You risk getting your account flagged by Amazon without them.

Quote:
Thanks! It seems that we have to pay for the VPN? And he also mentioned that we have to buy a gift card into the account? Is this really necessary?
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #21
WadsUpDoc

Quote:
Yes and yes. You risk getting your account flagged by Amazon without them.
Wah, that sucks.. What happens when your account gets flagged? You'd still be able to use the PW right?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #22
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wah, that sucks.. What happens when your account gets flagged? You'd still be able to use the PW right?
If you get flagged, you get banned. Your account will be closed. You can't acces the books you bought any more and can't buy new ones. And you're not able to create a new account any more, ever. so again, be careful.

And PS, any account linked to yours (F.I. same address - roommates/family) will also be banned

Last edited by Joy736; 01-16-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Adding ps
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #23
WadsUpDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
If you get flagged, you get banned. Your account will be closed. You can't acces the books you bought any more and can't buy new ones. And you're not able to create a new account any more, ever. so again, be careful.

And PS, any account linked to yours (F.I. same address - roommates/family) will also be banned
Alright, noted. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Device Info

It's under serial number. XXXX X503 XXXX XXMV, where 503 is your batch number.

Anyway, anyone knows how to see metadata info on the PW? For example, the summary of the book and the name of the series which I went through great troubles to fill out on calibre haha.
So does that mean 5th model (of Kindle) 3rd batch when the number is 503?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
Treece
Treece began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papierflieger View Post
Looks like we got ours on the same day! Too bad about your screen issues, though. Huh, mine is actually from the same batch (503?) as yours, but the screen is almost perfect on mine.. There's a small pink area on the upper part near the edge of the screen, but I didn't even notice it at first. I only noticed it last night when I turned the light down a bit to read in bed. I was actually wondering if it is was the screen or just my eyes.
I just received mine and it is also 503. There's a small blue spot I think but it's so faint that I might be imagining it and I probably would not have paid it any attention if I didn't read about the screen issues. My screen is pretty good so I'm sorry to hear about the OPs issue.
Treece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Got a 1603-PW today and it's pretty much perfect. There are absolutely no color clouds or any other discolorations.

I guess they figured out what the problem was, because none of the other 7 (!) Kindle Paperwhite I had in my hands (not all my own ), were that good and all were 1501, 1502 and 1503 batch models. And yes, ALL of them had color clouds of some sort (red, green, blue ...) and I saw them even though their owners didn't. So i'd say I'm sensitive to it.

It's still not 100% perfect as the light is not evenly distributed among the screen as advertised, but it's pretty much the same as with the Kobo Glo (compared both devices side by side).
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
My original 1501 (and hubby's) are perfectly white/gray. Had a problem with mine last week and now have two replacements from same batch that have yellowish tone to entire screen, with green/pink blotches. Ugh.

Need to call them, yet again. They must recycle the returns around and around, in hopes someone will accept them.

I could live with the colors, but the yellowish tinge to the screen makes the contrast considerably less than on an actual 'white' screen. So, books with non-standard and thin fonts become much harder to read.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote