Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
The Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden

What you you think of this series? I love historical novels, such as those by Edward Rutherfurd, and have always been curious about Genghis Khan. Is the series worth buying (basically one book free), or should I just try the first book, and tread cautiously? On Amazon, the consensus seems to be that it is a great read, but is filled with inaccuracies. I am curious if opinions here differ.

Andrew

Last edited by Avwriter; 08-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I really enjoyed the first book of the Conqueror series, but haven't got around to the rest yet. As far as inaccuracies go, it is historical fiction after all. He's making some stuff up and taking a few liberties here and there. I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise. Over all... I thought Iggulden did a fine job of letting me smell the meat cooking inside the smoky yurt.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I've also read only the first volume, on the strength of which I bought all the others.

Inaccuracies? Like DD says it's historical fiction, not a learned work submitted for peer review, so who cares. If you buy it in order to be entertained I'm sure the series will deliver, but I wouldn't enter a debate on the life and times of Genghis Khan on the strength of having read it.

Anyway, I enjoy Iggulden's writing a lot. I thought the Emperor series was excellent and I think this one will prove just as good when I get started on it again.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Very decent buy for a long read - like in the airport bookshop, say, ahead of a long haul ....

A good "ripping yarn".
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You all made me look at the series. In the United States the first book is titled Genghis: Birth of an Empire. A bit over halfway through the first book and already purchased the second in the series Genghis: Lords of the Bow. As carpetmojo says, a ripping yarn.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
AncientGardener
AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AncientGardener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've read a lot of Iggulden's books and enjoyed the epic action. Eventually I lost interest; they start of really well but seem to 'thin out' towards the end. The characters become two-dimensional and lacking in emotion. I've still got them on the book shelf though.
AncientGardener is offline   Reply With Quote