Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
33⅓ percent

I have this ⅓ symbol in an epub & it looks fine in sigil, but not in ADE. the ⅓ becomes ?

is there a workaround ? I consulted my list of special characters & saw only ½ and ¼
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
And this concerns Sigil because ...

It's a limitation on the fonts ADE renders with, that's all ... the natural way to go along is to embed a font where that symbol is present, I think.

Anyway, I think this thread belongs to the epub forum/section ...
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I have this ⅓ symbol in an epub & it looks fine in sigil, but not in ADE. the ⅓ becomes ?

is there a workaround ? I consulted my list of special characters & saw only ½ and ¼
The "?" indicates that the character that's been requested is not present in the font being used by the reading application.

As the previous poster suggested, one solution is to embed a suitable font into your book; another would be to rewrite it as "33 1/3".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
And this concerns Sigil because ...

because sigil is my tool of choice for editing epubs that I wish to fix. I hoped someone here might know a work-around

but in this case , seems that it can't be done.

The text will have to read 33 1/3 if it is to work in ADE / on Sony reader, which is much uglier

I take there is no simple way for a future version of sigil to be able to display an "ADE-book view". to to be able to highlight any characters that are not supported in ADE.- maybe as part of the epub validation ?

ADE is the most common renderer for epub devices, so it would be good see how things are going to look , while still in sigil.
hoping for WYSIWYG ->WYSIWYWGOYR ( what you see is what you will get - on your reader )

Last edited by cybmole; 10-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
ADE is the most common renderer for epub devices, so it would be good see how things are going to look , while still in sigil.
hoping for WYSIWYG ->WYSIWYWGOYR ( what you see is what you will get - on your reader )
Most common doesn't mean only. Sigil is not an ADE editor it's an EPUB editor. It's bad enough having to put in hacks to work around limitations of certain renderers but trying to mimic the rendering of a specific reader is asinine.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

PS - embedding a font for just 1 instance of 1 special character seems a lot of work, but say for sake of argument ath I want to do that.

how would I
1) find a font that will work, both in sigil & in ADE
2) create the relevant html code to cause that character to display within the font ?

that symbol is not in the epub special characters help file & I cannot see how to generate it, in word, notepad or whatever via keyboard.... yet it is visible here in google & its visible in sigil book view when I open epub for editing....
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
trying to mimic the rendering of a specific reader is asinine.
well technically, I am suggesting an option to mimic the market leading software - ADE, which happens to be used on the majority of dedicated epub readers.

"asinine" seems a little harsh, given that sigil is billed as a WSYWYG editor ?

I take it that the underlying epub spec allows any font /special character combo, so long as there's a method of specifying it in HTML source?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
PS - embedding a font for just 1 instance of 1 special character seems a lot of work, but say for sake of argument ath I want to do that.

how would I
1) find a font that will work, both in sigil & in ADE
2) create the relevant html code to cause that character to display within the font ?

that symbol is not in the epub special characters help file & I cannot see how to generate it, in word, notepad or whatever via keyboard.... yet it is visible here in google & its visible in sigil book view when I open epub for editing....
There's a nice tutorial about font embedding here. It's very easy to do.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

yes I understand the mechanism of font embedding ( in theory - have not actually done one ) I'm stuck on the 2 specific questions I posed above
how would I
1) choose a font that will work, both in sigil & in ADE (i.e. which has the character that I need)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
1) You're on your own for finding an appropriate font. Sigil creates and ADE reads Utf-8 encoded text. Any font you properly add should display in ADE. The only 100% way to be sure is to test in each.

2) If it is currently displaying in Sigil then you are using the correct character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole
"asinine" seems a little harsh, given that sigil is billed as a WSYWYG editor ?
You're not having a problem with Sigil as you see the character correctly. The issue is with ADE not including the character you want to use.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

yes - I get that, but how do I get sigil or something to show me the code info I need so that I can choose a font+ a code which will work in ADE. (given that I can't see how to type it directly from keyboard ).

do I need an ALTnnnn sequence , or some other special HTML trick ?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The correct character is in the HTML file. To see if it's in a particular font, copy and paste that piece of text from Sigil into "Notepad", select the desired font in Notepad, and see if the character is displayed correctly.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The correct character is in the HTML file. To see if it's in a particular font, copy and paste that piece of text from Sigil into "Notepad", select the desired font in Notepad, and see if the character is displayed correctly.
so simple - thanks. ( have used notepad for years without ever noticing the font select option! ). that character is in lots of fonts I see. but not in the sony reader default font - that has symbols for 1/2 1/4 1/8 3/8 5/8 7/8 but not ⅓.

but say I was creating a new book in sigil & wanted the ⅓ symbol, yet did not have a document to copy it from. is there somewhere a guide to creating such characters from scratch via the keyboard
Old 10-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The UTF-8 code for ⅓ is & #8531;

A simple google search told me that...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

You can do a pretty good fraction using a superscript for the numerator, a proper fraction separator (⁄), and a smaller font size for the numerator.

I can't remember off-hand if it's possible to do baseline shifts easily in ePub, but that and a smaller font size would be an alternative to a superscript code, and would probably be more reliable.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote