Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
michaelmcd
michaelmcd began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook T-80
Calibre rescans entire SD card each time device is connected

I have a Boyue Likebook Mars with an external SD card on which I store the books that I load from Calibre. I've noticed this odd behavior from Calibre where it rescans the whole file system on the card each time I connect the device, taking anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes.

Calibre is on version 4.13 running on Ubuntu Linux, I've fiddled with the different options for metadata management and configured the device and SD card to scan only specific folders, but each connection still involves a full scan (at least, going by the "Found object <folder>" messages that show up for the fetching book list task in the jobs window).

Is there anything I can do to speed up this process?
michaelmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
DON'T remove the 2 files Calibre writes into the root of each storage medium.
Those are the scan results and matching device ID - Library link.

Those scan must complete and the resultant files written or it start all over
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Is this an MTP device?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
michaelmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
DON'T remove the 2 files Calibre writes into the root of each storage medium.
Those are the scan results and matching device ID - Library link.

Those scan must complete and the resultant files written or it start all over
I had let it run to completion initially but that didn't seem to help. For fun this afternoon, I tried removing the Calibre metadata files, connecting the device, allowing Calibre to scan to completion, manually sent metadata from the device menu, ejected through Calibre and reconnected the device and it still began a full scan of the SD card.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
michaelmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Is this an MTP device?
Yes. I restarted Calibre in debug mode and connected the device and the messages around scanning are mostly prefixed with "MTP: ".
Old 04-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you've configured it to scan only particular folders, I dont see how it would be scanning them all. Does this happen only on the SD card or the main memory as well?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #7
michaelmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you've configured it to scan only particular folders, I dont see how it would be scanning them all. Does this happen only on the SD card or the main memory as well?
It appears to only be the SD card, based on the directory names shown in the jobs window. The debugging log writes out that some of the other main directories are excluded, but the entire ebooks directory is definitely rescanned.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcd View Post
It appears to only be the SD card, based on the directory names shown in the jobs window. The debugging log writes out that some of the other main directories are excluded, but the entire ebooks directory is definitely rescanned.
probably because calibre does not have write permission for the SD card, so it cannot place the necessary 2 scan results files there ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

could be a bug I dont have an mtp devices that support sd cards to test with though.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcd View Post
I have a couple of suggestions.

First run fsck on the sd card.

see for how to do:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-connect-to-it

if that does not fix then reformat the sd card using the reader.

last try a different sd card.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 04-08-2020 at 10:41 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:33 AM   #11
MRC01
MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Kobo, Android Mantano, Linux PC, Kindle
I have the same issue. It's a glitch in the way Calibre works.
Calibre won't let you configure which directories to scan for any MTP device, unless that device is plugged in.
When you plug in the device, Calibre immediately kicks off a full scan of the device. This may take more than an hour.
While that full scan is running, you can't configure Calibre.
Catch-22!

So, the only way I can see to do this is:
1. Plug in the device
2. Calibre will detect it and kick off a full device scan job.
3. Be patient and let the job complete (minutes to hours).
4. When the job completes, leave the device plugged in.
5. Use Configure, Plugins, Device, MTP to set which directories to scan

Once you've done the above the first time, it should be fast the next time.
MRC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRC01 View Post
I
So, the only way I can see to do this is:
1. Plug in the device
2. Calibre will detect it and kick off a full device scan job.
3. Be patient and let the job complete (minutes to hours).
4. When the job completes, leave the device plugged in.
5. Use Configure, Plugins, Device, MTP to set which directories to scan

Once you've done the above the first time, it should be fast the next time.
Yes. I have a Mars and like most Android it's the horrid MTP. It's working OK with Calibre once the first scan is done and the directory is picked. Now faster than File manager. I run Linux Mint with a Mate Desktop and Caja file manager, so I have to stop gvfs-mtp-volume-monitor (not kill or it respawns) or else I ONLY see it in the Filemanager and not in Calibre. Other desktops allow MTP connection in filamanager to be disabled.

I installed KOReader using Mars Browser to Git for ARM apk and installed the APK from Mars Filemanager. KOReader uses the file Calibre creates to do its searches.

My Android Lenovo LCD tablet is also MTP and 256 G SD card rather than 32 G Byte, so first time was a lot worse than the Mars. It is fine now. I use Lithium for ePub and Xodo for PDF on it. I use the supplied ereader on the Mars for PDFs and only use KOReader for epubs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote