Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #121
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
So you must be using kTerm, otherwise you would have seen the motd that reminds users that the file system is normally read-only.

Sorry, I just assumed you knew that, so:

mntroot rw
change permissions
mntroot ro

= = = = =

*nix systems (all types of them) support symbolic links.
Something DOS based systems do not.

In the case of libraries, they are used to link from a 'common name' (always the same) to the particular name-version named file.
It is the permission of the target of the link(s) that you need to change and then execute that one.

Last edited by knc1; 04-24-2017 at 10:54 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #122
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
*nix systems (all types of them) support symbolic links.
Something DOS based systems do not.
True, unless that feature has been deliberately removed, as I found when I attempted to create a symbolic link on my rooted android JellyBean phone.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #123
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
True, unless that feature has been deliberately removed, as I found when I attempted to create a symbolic link on my rooted android JellyBean phone.

Dave
Android is just another, specialized, Linux distribution.

The Linux kernel used is modified to support several system calls not in the mainstream kernel, but they are relatively minor.

The most major change in the distribution is the system library, which Google re-implemented to avoid the virus licensing of the GPL, but that is in user space.
And that was to conform to their own rule of: "No open source in user space".

To remove symbolic linking would be an extremely deep and invasive change.
Plus it would break the standardized file system layout used by *nix systems.
So I don't think they would (or could) remove it from the system libc.

The reason you experienced a failure in creating them was not due to their having been removed from the system.
It was for some other reason.

Most likely, you where trying to do it on a section of the file system tree that was backed by storage that did not support 'write' operations. (cramfs, squashfs, romfs, others)
The kindle system has anywhere from 4 to 7 (or more) such backing stores.

If you still have access to that version of Android, it should be fairly easy to discover the cause.

Last edited by knc1; 04-25-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #124
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given your post I decided to try it again. I am trying to create this link:

ln -s /data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books /storage/sdcard0/Download/Books

When I issue this command I get:

link failed Function not implemented

I know that /storage/sdcard0/Download is r/w as this is where I download things.

Dave
Old 04-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #125
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Given your post I decided to try it again. I am trying to create this link:

ln -s /data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books /storage/sdcard0/Download/Books

When I issue this command I get:

link failed Function not implemented

I know that /storage/sdcard0/Download is r/w as this is where I download things.

Dave
Try these:
Code:
pwd
ls -1
stat Downloads/Books /storage/sdcard0/Download/Books
stat /data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N
mount
Cut and paste the results.

Is there really suppose to be a space in the pathname after Books , before /storage ? (I just c&p what you posted).
If there is, then you need to escape it in the command.

Last edited by knc1; 04-25-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Advert
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #126
dhdurgee
Guru

Yes, there is a space in that directory name and it was escaped as was the & in the name. I didn't name it, B&N did with their Nook app. I will have to see about the other commands, but I already did a mount:

Quote:
root@android:/storage/sdcard0/Download # mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p26 /system ext4 ro,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p20 /drm ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p30 /mpt ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /persist ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,nodelalloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p27 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /mm ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 /tombstones ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /firmware vfat ro,relatime,fmask=0003,dmask=0003,allow_utime=0020 ,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=lower,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 /system/etc/firmware/misc_mdm vfat ro,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0027,dmask=002 7,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=lower,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p29 /mnt_user ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/sdcard0 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=102 3,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
/dev/block/dm-0 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,resuid=100 0,data=ordered 0 0
root@android:/storage/sdcard0/Download #
As you can see I am running as root for this, the /data tree requires root access.

Dave
Old 04-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #127
dhdurgee
Guru

Other requested data

Quote:
root@android:/ # stat /storage/sdcard0/Download/
File: /storage/sdcard0/Download/
Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory
Device: 11h/17d Inode: 1080885712 Links: 2
Access: (0775/drwxrwxr-x) Uid: ( 0/ UNKNOWN) Gid: ( 1015/ UNKNOWN)
Access: 1970-01-02 06:01:40.000000000
Modify: 2017-04-01 10:40:13.000000000
Change: 2017-04-01 10:40:13.000000000

root@android:/ # stat /data/data/bn.ereader/files/B\&N\ Downloads/Books/
File: /data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books/
Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory
Device: fe00h/65024d Inode: 540129 Links: 2
Access: (0700/drwx------) Uid: (10100/ UNKNOWN) Gid: (10100/ UNKNOWN)
Access: 2017-02-15 20:06:54.000000000
Modify: 2017-02-23 18:29:35.000000000
Change: 2017-02-23 18:29:35.000000000

root@android:/ # stat /storage/sdcard0/Download/Books
stat: can't stat '/storage/sdcard0/Download/Books': No such file or directory
Dave
Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #128
knc1
Going Viral

That is one strange setup B&N came up with.

The target location of the sym-link command is:
Code:
/storage/sdcard0/Download/Books
Going up that fragment of the tree and we reach this mount point:
Code:
/dev/fuse /storage/sdcard0 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=102  3,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
Although it is mounted rw, and you do read and write to it . . . .
It is a fuse filesystem -
Which may well mean "invented at B&N" and there is no requirement that a fuse system must support symbolic links.

From the message you get, this one evidently does not.
So no sym-links in the tree fragment below that mount point (all of which seems (by name) to be storage on the sd card).

Also, no sym-links below /firmware (because it is fat).

But they should still work everywhere else that you don't want to put one.

I don't see for certain what is the "other side" of the fuse filesystem, it might be that device mapper layer (dm-0).

An
Code:
ls -l  /dev/mapper
should yield a little more information, but only if curious because I think it is the fuse system itself that is returning "not implemented" (which is the correct return value for fuse in this case).

= = = = =

You might be able to work around the sym-link lack with some variation on:
mount -bind ... ...
That '-bind' option has various options its self - probably depends on the kernel version and just how complete google's re-implementation of libc (bionic) is.

Last edited by knc1; 04-25-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #129
dhdurgee
Guru

The fuse system is google's as part of android JellyBean, not B&N who only developed the Nook app for android. Since B&N pulled the Nook for PC program I had to add the app to my phone to deal with Nook books from them. This is the only place I can get access to the Nook books themselves, and I only have that access because the phone is rooted. I was looking to add the symbolic link to simplify backing them up to my Calibre library.

I will look into the mount -bind alternative approach. Thanks for your pointers.

Dave
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #130
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The fuse system is google's as part of android JellyBean, not B&N who only developed the Nook app for android. Since B&N pulled the Nook for PC program I had to add the app to my phone to deal with Nook books from them. This is the only place I can get access to the Nook books themselves, and I only have that access because the phone is rooted. I was looking to add the symbolic link to simplify backing them up to my Calibre library.

I will look into the mount -bind alternative approach. Thanks for your pointers.

Dave
OK, then it can be found in the android repository.
Hmmm.....
At one time I had a mirror of that, which got updated every six hours.
It isn't running now, but it certainly was during the lifetime of Jellybean.

So I have the place to look, but as always, it is a matter of finding time to do the looking.

- - - -

Look into the various mount options (such as the bind-mount thing), there is a lot of functionality in that feature.

I would give more specific suggestions, but the mind is just sucking air this evening.

Last edited by knc1; 04-25-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 AM   #131
Manny_Belano
Manny_Belano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (B011; K5)
Thanks again, knc1, for the help. And yes, I'm using kterm.

I think it worked this time.

/lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library (EGLIBC) stable release version 2.12.1, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright © 2010 Free Sofware Foundation, Inc.
This is free sofware; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTAILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiles by GNU CC version 4.5.4 20110505 (prerelease).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.35 system on 2015-01-29
Available extensions:
crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc core.
BIND-8.2.3-T5B
libc ABIs: UNIQUE
For bug reporting instructions, pleas see:
<http://www.eglibc.org/issues/>
Manny_Belano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #132
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_Belano View Post
Thanks again, knc1, for the help. And yes, I'm using kterm.

I think it worked this time.

/lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library (EGLIBC) stable release version 2.12.1, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright © 2010 Free Sofware Foundation, Inc.
This is free sofware; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTAILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiles by GNU CC version 4.5.4 20110505 (prerelease).
Compiled on a Linux 2.6.35 system on 2015-01-29
Available extensions:
crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc core.
BIND-8.2.3-T5B
libc ABIs: UNIQUE
For bug reporting instructions, pleas see:
<http://www.eglibc.org/issues/>
It did.
Your Kindle is running a 2.12.1 version of the system library and the application requires 2.17 minimum.

- - - - -

Gargoyle or the libraries added to support it needs to be re-built against the older library version.

The 'just pull from new Kindle' did not work because those libraries are built against 2.17
The 'grab from Debian' would work if you went back to a release old enough to be built against 2.12, luckily they are still all on-line.

Last edited by knc1; 04-26-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #133
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am on it (building a version that runs on Touch and later). However building a working crosstool-ng & buildroot toolchain with this ancient glibc provides some hoops to jump through. It may take a little while (as in 1 day to 1 month).
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #134
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Test build for Touch and Paperwhite 1:

Here is the current build tested with PW1 and firmware 5.6.1.1. Incorporated features & patches:

Changes to upstream gargoyle (https://github.com/garglk/garglk):
Kindle Port based on patches from: http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-gargoyle/
Kindle Port incorporates TADS 3.1.3 branch from: https://github.com/cspiegel/garglk/t...3-tads-upgrade
Kindle Port incorporates modified "double click/double tap on word to insert" patch from: https://github.com/RedHatter/granite
Kindle Port maps swipe up / down on touchscreen to page up / page down in the text window.

Github:
https://github.com/poker335/garglk
Old 05-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #135
pete330
Connoisseur

@Manny_Belano: Can you give me some feedback, please: Did you try the K5/PW1 build & did it work?