Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #46
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Actually I feel sorry for those poor misguided souls that have no interest in reading. They are more to be pitied than to be scorned I think, though I do wonder if it is necessary to take up a collection for them or not. How can such things be in the early 21st Century? Poor guy doesn't know what he's missing by not being a reader.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
She makes up for it with as much enthusiasm for edged weapons and devices that go bang as I have.
Bangity bang bang
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Actually I feel sorry for those poor misguided souls that have no interest in reading. They are more to be pitied than to be scorned I think, though I do wonder if it is necessary to take up a collection for them or not. How can such things be in the early 21st Century? Poor guy doesn't know what he's missing by not being a reader.
Different people have different interests. Many of my friends spend all their free time watching TV. Am I to be "pitied" because I prefer to read instead? It's simply a different interest. I think there's a little "intellectual snobbery" in the view that reading is somehow a "superior" hobby to other forms of entertainment. If you enjoy doing something, that's what matters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #49
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Unfortunately, in American politics, there is the reverse of this - disdain for the "intellectual elites." I could make some very un PC guesses about what they do in their free time.

I think soon we will have two types of people in the world. Those who watch reality TV, and those who would rather die.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #50
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I read and like cats. In fact, I'm like a cat. Majority of the time, I like to be left alone. I'll rub up against you when I feel affectionate, but if you get too frisky, I'll run away.

I'm also tall, dark, and umm, that's it.
Just as long as you don't need someone to change your dirtbox.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #51
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
My husband doesn't read. I think he read his first "for fun" book after we'd been married a few years, and I teased him when he started bringing home his own books. (He discovered the first in a series one day when he was out without me and only bought the five that were in that series. As far as I know, he hasn't read or purchased any other books since, although I suspect he occasionally reads on the Kindle app on his phone.)

I've never known anyone that reads as much as I do, so I'm used to it being a solitary hobby for me. I find it more important that he accepts that I read and buy books rather than whether or not he reads. We have other interests and activities that we share; reading is just not one of them.

Likewise, I don't judge people because they read or don't read. I have other first impression prejudices.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Different people have different interests. Many of my friends spend all their free time watching TV. Am I to be "pitied" because I prefer to read instead? It's simply a different interest. I think there's a little "intellectual snobbery" in the view that reading is somehow a "superior" hobby to other forms of entertainment. If you enjoy doing something, that's what matters.
True, and I didn't mean it to be taken literally. I was just having a little joke based on the subject.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I wouldn't date someone who didn't read. I find it creepy to be in a house without books. I don't consider reading to be a mere hobby, I consider literacy to be a core value, that a potential mate would have to share. Others are free to set different standards. There are, of course, intelligent people who do not read, but in general, I find non-readers difficult to communicate with. I'd no sooner date someone who didn't read than I would date someone who spent all their time on the couch.

Reading isn't fine wine, expensive sports cars or exotic vacations. Reading is available to anyone, at little or no cost, thus, I don't see my position as elitist. In any case, I get to select my own standards. I'm not going to harrass people for not reading, but that doesn't mean I need to be their buddies. There is plenty of sneering at readers, consider how the media represents the "bookworm". I've had people who, when they see me reading a book, think it is appropriate to inform me that "real men don't read."
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #54
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My girlfriend at the time and I were living together. We did have a lot in common. Reading was not one of them.
We were sitting in the living room and she turned on the TV. I pulled out my book and started reading. She got mad because she expected me to sit and stare at the boob tube with her. We did not stay together long after that.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #55
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't require that my partner share all the same hobbies as me, but I have always looked for someone who loves books.

To me, books open the mind so I don't think I could fall for someone who had no use for books.

For me, I knew it was love when my date knew the "Three Laws of Robotics>"

Books are one of the levels of compatibility I look for.

On the other hand, I could never date a smoker. At times I have had long, flirting conversations with a woman who then lights up a cigarette. I am usually gone for good in less than a minute.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #56
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
When looking at potential marriage material, yes a lack of books would be a big problem. (and I have mentioned this before, but my now-husband actually tricked me in this way! When I first went to his apartment, he had TONS of books, literary and otherwise. It turns out, he has finished hardly any of them. Ha ha.)

HOWEVER, it doesn't sound like you were looking for marriage-material in your rendezvous. I can't say that a lack of books would bother me, in that case? Maybe you have higher standards than me.

eP
Agreed. A romp would have been acceptabe.

Dated a fellow long-term, and one of the things that most impressed me was all of the book cases stuffed to the nuts. I should have made that quick exit, when months later he admitted they belonged to his room mate.

Sydney's Mom: Death. Everytime. No contest.

Last edited by Wald07; 09-06-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Sydney's Mom
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #57
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Unfortunately, in American politics, there is the reverse of this - disdain for the "intellectual elites." I could make some very un PC guesses about what they do in their free time.

I think soon we will have two types of people in the world. Those who watch reality TV, and those who would rather die.
i heard that MTV is canceling Jersey Shore, so maybe there's hope yet
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #58
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I could never date, much less marry, someone who didn't read. When my husband and I were courting, I made an obscure Alice in Wonderland reference; the next time we were together he'd not only read the book again, he came back with the next line. We joke that we didn't so much get married as we merged libraries.

I don't watch tv or movies much, don't like sports (do like cats) and I don't know what I'd talk about to someone who didn't read.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #59
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Have any of you guys ever dated readers who were simply too full of themselves? i mean, that because they were readers they considered themselves as intellectuals and better than everyone else...?
Yes. Such an incredible turn off. I constantly felt like he was competing with me - he would try to "one-up" anything I said with regards to books or education. Needless to day, we did not date for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I think the real turn-off would be someone who scorns reading for pleasure.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My girlfriend at the time and I were living together. We did have a lot in common. Reading was not one of them.
We were sitting in the living room and she turned on the TV. I pulled out my book and started reading. She got mad because she expected me to sit and stare at the boob tube with her. We did not stay together long after that.
Apache
My husband was not a reader when we first started dating. The fact that he would not bother me while I was reading and he was watching TV (someone watching TV in the same room as me while I'm reading doesn't bother me all that much. I find music much more distracting for some reason) was VERY endearing - if he had expected me to sit and stare at the TV with him our relationship would not endured!

Seeing how much I enjoyed reading got him interested in reading, and he is actually now an avid reader. We often read the same books and discuss them later. I have even managed to turn him on to ebooks, and he is even more devoted to them than I am! He complains loudly when I recommend a book to him that is not available as an ebook. If I were to date now it would take a lot for me to overlook the fact that the person I was dating was not into reading. Perhaps I sensed all along that my husband had a reader hiding inside him! (Or maybe he really was/is just THAT good looking! )
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #60
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
There is plenty of sneering at readers, consider how the media represents the "bookworm". I've had people who, when they see me reading a book, think it is appropriate to inform me that "real men don't read."
yup, we're supposed to put the books down and sit rocking back&forth and drooling over sports and boobs while our women remind us to breathe, just like the half-wit dummies the media loves portraying us as.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote