Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

Device: Kobo Touch
Bootstrapping debian wheezy (problems)

I tried to bootstrap debian wheezy armhf onto my kobo touch N905B and it is sort of working.
The init scripts run but that's about it.
I say sort of because the udevd #175 which comes with wheezy doesn't like kobo's 2.6.35 kernel, so I had to deactivate it.
And without udev a lot of stuff (serial port for console, usb network, even mmcblk* is misisng) just doesn't work because /dev is not fully populated.
So now my question is:
How to solve this dilemma the easiest way?
Which kernel version is needed for udev #175 to work?
Or which udev version will run on the 2.6.35 kernel?
How hard is it to patch a newer kernel to use for kobo?

Regards
Aydan
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Maybe kobo kernel lacks support of devtmpfs (needed for udev). In my experience is easier to add support to devtmpfs to kobo kernel than to get a mainline kernel to work with kobo hardware.

First, I would check if the kernel support devtmpfs or this option can be enabled via menuconfig. If devtmpfs is not supported you have two options:

- use mdev + tmpfs to populate /dev
- backport devtmpfs to kobo kernel

If you want to backport devtmpfs here is an example that WarheadsSE did for OXNAS kernel in order to be able to run udev ->> https://github.com/WarheadsSE/OX820-2.6-linux
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

The thing is that the touch IS running udev in version 142. That's what's throwing me.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, old versions of udev didn't rely on devtmpfs.

See this >> http://pikachu.3ti.be/pipermail/rear...ry/001892.html
and this >> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/618

You can try with debian squeeze, I think udev may work if is below 175
Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Aydan
Connoisseur

So compiling udev 174 should get me running again.
Thanks for the pointers.
Advert
Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Aydan
Connoisseur

I tried with udev 174:
It compiles but it's missing files.
This is what I get on startup:
Code:
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
starting udev
custom logging function 0x28008 registered
selinux=0
runtime dir '/run/udev'
calling: info
/etc/init.d/udev: 290: /etc/init.d/udev: /lib/udev/create_static_nodes: not found
[ ok ] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd.
/etc/init.d/udev: 301: /etc/init.d/udev: /lib/udev/write_dev_root_rule: not found
[ ok ] Activating swap...done.
[....] Cleaning up temporary files... /tmp/etc/init.d/checkroot-bootclean.sh: 215: /etc/init.d/checkroot-bootclean.sh: cannot create /dev/null: File exists
/etc/init.d/checkroot-bootclean.sh: 215: /etc/init.d/checkroot-bootclean.sh: cannot create /dev/null: File exists
I couldn't find any information on where to get those files from. I also couldn't find any info on where to get the source for libudev0 from.
So now I'm stuck again.

Regards
Aydan
Old 06-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro

You should try mdev, is enough for kobos hardware. Just deactivate udev and install busybox for armhf

I didn't find any guide for debian, but here is pretty good information: http://www.snafu.priv.at/interests/debian/mdev.html
Old 06-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Aydan
Connoisseur

I tried mdev and it works.
I get a serial console where I can login, but as soon as I plug in the usb the kernel oopses.
see kernel-oops-2014-06-17.txt.
I'm using the original kobo kernel from my other KT SD-card as well as the uboot and whatever from the unpartitioned area.

I am now out of ideas, again. I'm not really firm in the ways of the linux kernel.

Regards
Aydan
Old 06-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro

Please check that you start mdev AFTER moun /proc and /sys and enable dynamic device updates with echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

oops seems related to hotplug
I hope it works
Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Aydan
Connoisseur

Thanks for all the pointers you're giving me. I really do feel like a NOOB here

mdev -s runs after the filesystems are mounted and
"cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug" gives me "/bin/mdev", which is where mdev resides.

this is my /etc/init.d/mdev:
Code:
#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mdev
# Required-Start:    mountdevsubfs
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     S
# Default-Stop:      0 6
# Short-Description: register mdev hotplug handler
# Description:
### END INIT INFO
# /etc/init.d/mdev
#
echo mount:
mount

# Carry out specific functions when asked to by the system
case "$1" in
  start)
    echo "Starting mdev"
    echo /bin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
    /bin/mdev -s
    ls /dev
    ;;
  stop)
    echo "Stopping mdev"
    ;;
  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/blah {start|stop}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

exit 0
There's still some debug stuff in there.

EDIT: Hotplug seems to work. I plugged in an SD-card and the correct /dev/ entries showed up. Loading the wifi module also produced a /dev/eth0 node.

Regards
Aydan

Last edited by Aydan; 06-18-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro

Sorry Aydan, but I'm out of ideas too. I used mdev in a bunch of embedded devices ( an iomega iconnect, an insignia infocast and a parrot df3120 photo frame ) and everything went smooth..

Could you paste here your mdev.conf (under /etc) ?

Are you using modules? Are installed in default path ( /lib/modules/`uname -r`/)? Can you run depmod -a in your kobo?. You can try if loading arco_*.ko and g_ether.ko modules before plugin usb cable makes any diference.

You can also build busybox yourself (cross-compile with kobo armhf toolchain) and disable features in mdev ( just enabling mdev itself )
Old 06-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
Aydan
Connoisseur

Thanks for the help anyway.
I'm running without modules except for the ones in the /drivers folder. The directory for the modules doesn't even exist. The one on the original kobo only contains an empty file named modules.dep.bb
i did copy the folder form the original sdcard and ran "depmod -a" which gave me the following:
Code:
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.35.3-850-gbc67621+/modules.order: No such file or directory
WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.35.3-850-gbc67621+/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
I won't even have to crosscompile because I have an arm7 board (cubox) to compile on.

Regards
Aydan
Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
Aydan
Connoisseur

I suspect the kernel tries to call something that isn't there in my installation although it's the original kernel. Do you have any idea how I could find out what's going on? I'm a total noob kernel wise.

Regards
Aydan