Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle 3 Source on Kindle DX Graphite

I have modified some of kindle 3 source code and successfully compiled on Kindle DXG. Including DirectFB Gtk+ Webkit.
you can find full source code in the github project
tjwei/WebKitGtkKindleDXG

The binary files of an earlier version of this project is also available if you want to try it without compiling 200MB of source code.
You can find the binary release by googling "WebKit for Kindle DX binary files"
to find my blog post in Traditional chinese.
(I have post a more detail description about the binary release several days ago, but unfortunately, the post is still in the moderation queue.

So there is no url link in this post to avoid moderation queue)
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Hi, thanks.
sounds interesting.

how is it different from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127969 ? WebKit only?
Are there known issues?
What is the version of the kindle 3 source you used?

Last edited by eLiNK; 09-07-2011 at 08:04 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Yifanlu's work provides a way to extract the binary files from a kindle 3 and install on earlier generations of kindle.
My project contains some open source packages (including some packages from Kindle_src_3.2.1_576290015) and a building process and . Since every thing is under open source license, you don't need to own a kindle 3. You can write your own software or making further modification based on my project.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
TJW
Enthusiast

The url of the project
https://github.com/tjwei/WebKitGtkKindleDXG
Plus,
there is also a input method for kindle DX project based on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61093 and launchpad.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
TJW
Enthusiast

The url of the project:
https://github.com/tjwei/WebKitGtkKindleDXG

Plus, a Chinese input method
https://github.com/tjwei/KindleChewing
based on
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61093 and launchpad
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
TJW
Enthusiast

The url of the project:
github.com/tjwei/WebKitGtkKindleDXG

Plus, a Chinese input method project:
github.com/tjwei/KindleChewing
based on
Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
yangwenli
yangwenli began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
The url of the project:
github.com/tjwei/WebKitGtkKindleDXG

Plus, a Chinese input method project:
github.com/tjwei/KindleChewing
based on
Hello, could you transfer 3.x's pdf reader to 2.5.8?
Amazon provides the function of adjusting pdf's contract in 3.x but not 2.x. And It would be of great help when reading textbooks in DXG.
Thanks!
yangwenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
TJW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenli View Post
Hello, could you transfer 3.x's pdf reader to 2.5.8?
Amazon provides the function of adjusting pdf's contract in 3.x but not 2.x. And It would be of great help when reading textbooks in DXG.
Thanks!
The attached file is a backport of kindle 3 einkfb kernel modules to kindle 2/DX.
It is just a very quick hack to get the kindle 3 module souce code compiled, not fully tested.

To use this module, first rmmod -f all einkfb modules. Then insmod the attached modules.

It seems like the contrast setting functionality
echo 19 3 > /proc/eink_fb/update_display
works fine.
(see also
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142848
)

so is slow flash.
but fast flash does not work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip eink.zip (160.9 KB, 353 views)
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
yangwenli
yangwenli began at the beginning.

Thanks a lot.
Does it mean that when I press Aa key I can set the contract level?
Could you make a bin install package——because I am really not familiar with the linux commands.
Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
The attached file is a backport of kindle 3 einkfb kernel modules to kindle 2/DX.
It is just a very quick hack to get the kindle 3 module souce code compiled, not fully tested.

To use this module, first rmmod -f all einkfb modules. Then insmod the attached modules.

It seems like the contrast setting functionality
echo 19 3 > /proc/eink_fb/update_display
works fine.
(see also
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142848
)

so is slow flash.
but fast flash does not work.
yangwenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
TJW
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenli View Post
Thanks a lot.
Does it mean that when I press Aa key I can set the contract level?
Could you make a bin install package——because I am really not familiar with the linux commands.
Thank you again.
The Aa key won't work.
These modules are very experimental and may brick your kindle.
I did some experiments and it seems that the contrast function in pdf reader is more than the just apply the contrast function in einkfb module, or maybe unrelated at all.
Using yifanlu's 3.x updater on my DXG, the contrast function still works. However, I think yifanlu's 3.x updater uses the kernel comes with 2.5.8 (except the recovery hack).
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
biodu
Enthusiast
biodu began at the beginning.

Hello TJW,

I am very interested in your port but as a noob Im not able to compile the source. Is there a way to put the binary on the DXG 2.5.8? If not, would it be possible to provide a precompiled image so that I could just update the Kindle?

Thanks so much
biodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
TJW
Enthusiast

For now, the main target of this project is the developers. There is no binary release for end users yet, though I am planing to build one.

For now, you can find the precompiled binary at
Code:
https://sites.google.com/site/xmktjw/Home/files/WebKitGtkKindleDXG.tar.xz?attredirects=0&d=1
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
biodu
Enthusiast
biodu began at the beginning.

Hello TJW,

thanks a lot . So I wait for your image with 2.5.8 and the WebKit.

Best wishes from Switzerland

PS: I am not a dev but I could contribute in testing
biodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
This is quite interesting, as Kindle 3 firmware provides many advantages it seems. I'm very unhappy with Amazon, because they abandoned Kindle DXG firmware updates...
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote