Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 04:03 PM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
I did and it works using the vendor supplied Dict.app, but for the vendor supplied reader application they are not taken even remotely into account. Dictionary lookup is one of the most important features for me, as i read stuff in various languages.
Perhaps the name is hard coded and you could rename the dictionary you want to use.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #47
tangocat
tangocat began at the beginning.

Device: likebook T80S T103, Kindle paperwhite, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
@tangocat, not sure where to get Oreader, afair it's some Onyx's version of AlReader. I'll try to find the link for eink-tuned AlReader.apk and will let you know then. Many thanks for your generous offer to try it
@petrovich. No need to find these two apks for me to test, I found them myself and tested them. Again, they work, but slower than the built-in byreader.

Furthermore, I think I experienced the downside of less memory (1GB) and single core CPU recently. I have a few EPUB files that are >40-50M in size. The built-in reader app took a long time (maybe 10-20 seconds) to load them in. But once loaded, paging turning would be smooth.

So, I would say the unit works fine with small files, but you may experience issues with large files. I will try some 100MB+ PDFs soon.

One more thing, today I put T80s and T103 side by side without back light on, and T103 screen did look darker, or a bit yellowish as user orebmur reported. I heard from a Chinese forum (Chinese is my native language) that the reduced reflective capablity is due to the fact that T103 has extra layers on top of eink: touch, magnetic writing, etc....I will find out more.

Overall, I would say it's an OK eink device. I hope one day we can have a 13.3 ich with even front lighting...that would be my dream device. In 2-3 years? I can dream....
tangocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #48
Bulkind
Bulkind began at the beginning.

Device: ML67 Onix, Inkpad3
My gratitude to all the people providing reviews overhere esp to those whos comprehensive q&a pushed me to buy the subj :-)
While waiting for delivery, some curiosity appeared:

1. I noticed the interesting difference in speed in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDCd_OMOWY
It is fairly fast when turning pages by hard buttons and obviously slower in the end when turining by touch. So the qestion is - which way of turining was used for speed comparison with T80 kindly mentioned above by tangocat? Does the difference relate with a reader software or depends on the slow touchlevel hardware?

2. One of my goals is to use the device as editorship machine: I read, make lots of notes and remarks in the file, and then... what? Will I be able to save the edited file to get all the stuff later on my Windows desktop? Is it easy enough to do?

Thanks in advance for further explanation!
Bulkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #49
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Some further observations:

In spite of the seemingly slow CPU it works surprisingly fluid for my PDF reading needs. The native PDF reader is able to manage some huge PDF files with a size of up to 210MB and with over 1000, 2000 or even 12300 pages! First load of such huge files takes about a dozen seconds, but then page display works mostly without ghosting and completes at a fraction of a second at every page turn.

On the other hand, there is a freely available 102MB PDF file of rather doubtful PDF quality (but excellent reading material) with a thesis about 'The Conga Drum' by Alex Pertout that can be used to reliably crash the PDF reader software after some annoyingly slow page turns...

As already mentioned before, dictionary integration leaves to be desired, as external dictionaries are not used, but only a static built in one with English-Chinese. After inquiry with the vendor/manufacturer and explaining why this is a very important feature, they promised to fix this soon ("i hope end of this month can have new update firmware by OTA"). Time will tell if the manufacturer is able to provide timely software enhancements and firmware updates.

Being a Linux user since over 20 years i used to be very happy with the inherent simplicity of mounting external storage of other e-ink readers as normal block devices via USB. I manage my book library within a hierarchy of folders using the 'Midnight Commander' file manager instead of something like Calibre, because this is the most simple and straightforward approach for me.

Unfortunately, this is not as simple anymore with the Likebook Note where i have to resort to access the device via MTP. I have mixed results trying this in Debian Linux with kernel 4.17.8 using the jmtpfs utility. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and if it works it doesn't appear to be very reliable and transfer speed is rather slow. These are the moments making me despair about the rather backwards results of so called technical progress...
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #50
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Some further observations:
Thanks. Now, if @tangocat completes that observations with any other comparison to T80s, the analysis will be completed.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2018, 06:14 AM   #51
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
For a complete analysis we would also require to compare software capabilities with those of, e.g., the Onyx Boox Note. I am not willing nor do i want to purchase yet another reading device as this one must and already does suffice for my practical needs.

Maybe if there is an owner of the Onyx Boox Note who is also located in the Barcelona area in Spain, we could meet and compare?

The PDF reader software of the Onyx Boox Note reportedly allows opening up to four documents in a tabbed PDF reader. And if the dictionary supposedly works as "good" or hopefully better than i know from my i62HD and i86, then the point also goes to the Onyx Boox Note. These two aspects are clearly an advantage over the Likebook Note in regard to the predominant core functionality one would expect from a reading device.

Another advantage of the Onyx Boox Note is the existence of a very reliable European vendor, with all the benefits of European customer laws. I had very good multiple experience as customer of the Germany based https://ereader.store in the past. In fact, if the Boox Note would have had an SD card i certainly would have bought there, in spite of the higher price. Luckily the vendor/manufacturer of the Likebook seems to be very reliable too, but if i'd ever stumble over any issue justifying taking advantage of their warranty, it would still be a costly and time consuming experience sending the device back and forth to Taiwan.

As a side note, the Likebook vendor/manufacturer wrote in the communications i still maintain via aliexpress that "our next generation is octa core, with very fast speed. android 6.0,will available on NOV this year". Personally i'm not really much impressed by this promise and, based on the experience of the time spent waiting for the Likebook Note to actually come into existence, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this updated device. But maybe this is some good news for people in this thread who still think their reading practice requires a fast CPU in combination with a frontlight and SD card...

Last edited by orebmur; 08-08-2018 at 07:34 AM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #52
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
For a complete analysis we would also require to compare software capabilities with those of, e.g., the Onyx Boox Note. I am not willing nor do i want to purchase yet another reading device as this one must and already does suffice for my practical needs.

Maybe if there is an owner of the Onyx Boox Note who is also located in the Barcelona area in Spain, we could meet and compare?

The PDF reader software of the Onyx Boox Note reportedly allows opening up to four documents in a tabbed PDF reader. And if the dictionary supposedly works as "good" or hopefully better than i know from my i62HD and i86, then the point also goes to the Onyx Boox Note. These two aspects are clearly an advantage over the Likebook Note in regard to the predominant core functionality one would expect from a reading device.

Another adavantage of the Onyx Boox Note is the existence of a very reliable European vendor, with all advantages of European customer laws. I had very good multiple experience as customer of the Germany based https://ereader.store in the past. In fact, if the Boox Note would have had an SD card i certainly would have bought there, in spite of the higher price. Luckily the vendor/manufacturer of the Likebook seems to be very reliable too, but if i'd ever stumble over any issue justifying taking advantage of their warranty, it would still be a costly and time consuming experience sending the device back and forth to Taiwan.

As a side note, the Likebook vendor/manufacturer wrote in the communications i still maintain via aliexpress that "our next generation is octa core, with very fast speed. android 6.0,will available on NOV this year". Personally i'm not really much impressed by this promise and, based on the experience of the time spent waiting for the Likebook Note to actually come into existence, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this updated device. But maybe this is some good news for people in this thread who still think their reading practice requires a fast CPU in combination with a frontlight and SD card...
I bought Likebool Note, from aliexpress, i hope receive it in few days from now; wahoo!! a new device octa core and android 6 in november, next month!!! do i regret my purchase?
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #53
tangocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Thanks. Now, if @tangocat completes that observations with any other comparison to T80s, the analysis will be completed.
@viceant.

Sorry I haven't done any new comparison against T80s. Software-wise, I've pretty much settled on the stock reader app on T103 and T80s. I would rather enjoy more reading than get frustrated by 3rd party app performance.

As I've mentioned before, I still believe T103 feels as fast as T80s, if not faster.

BTW, I can confirm @orebmur than large PDF opens pretty fast on T103. I tested it with a ~100MB scanned PDF, and didn't experience any major problem. Paging turning may be a tab slower than a smaller file, but still responsive.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #54
tangocat

Quote:

I'm also interesting in a BOOX Note vs. Likebook Note comparison. I hope the online ereader blogs will do this soon. Although I totally expect BOOX would beat Likebook in many apsects.

My decison for getting Likebook over BOOX is pretty simple: the frontlight for bedtime reading.

As for a future "octa-core, Android 6.0 likebook note", I'm not very excited. I would reather pay for a better even frontlight.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #55
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Of course, I'm not suggesting anyone buy anything in order to compare devices for us. You have already been extremely kind with your accurate and detailed comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangocat View Post
@viceant.

Sorry I haven't done any new comparison against T80s. Software-wise, I've pretty much settled on the stock reader app on T103 and T80s. I would rather enjoy more reading than get frustrated by 3rd party app performance.

As I've mentioned before, I still believe T103 feels as fast as T80s, if not faster.

BTW, I can confirm @orebmur than large PDF opens pretty fast on T103. I tested it with a ~100MB scanned PDF, and didn't experience any major problem. Paging turning may be a tab slower than a smaller file, but still responsive.
Sorry, I didn't mean you could do any exhaustive comparison. Least installing new software. Only, test the device capabilities with its stock software, that you've almost already done.

Concerning Onyx, Sony, etc.: T103 is cheap and, if Boyue fixed the dictionary issue, the device would fulfill my needs.

Last edited by viceant; 08-04-2018 at 10:58 AM.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #56
tangocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Of course, I'm not suggesting anyone buy anything in order to compare devices for us. You have already been extremely kind with your accurate and detailed comments.

Sorry, I didn't mean you could do any exhaustive comparison. Least installing new software. Only, test the device capabilities with its stock software, that you've almost already done.

Concerning Onyx, Sony, etc.: T103 is cheap and, if Boyue fixed the dictionary issue, the device would fulfill my needs.

About the in-app dictionary function....same as orebmur, I can't get StarDict format dictionary to work when reading, it just uses some built-in English to Chinese dictionary and Chinese to English dicionary.

I found the built-in dictionaries in system/dics folder, they are of *.dic format, and I'm not familar with this format. Out of curiosity, I renamed *.dic to *.zip, and it was indeed just a zipped folder contains a bunch of *.idx, *.lix and *.dix files. Both *.lix and *.dix are raw txt files contating search words and their definition. *.idx must be a index file. Beyond these, I don't know much. Hope some linux guys can help out.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #57
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangocat View Post
@petrovich. No need to find these two apks for me to test, I found them myself and tested them. Again, they work, but slower than the built-in byreader.

Furthermore, I think I experienced the downside of less memory (1GB) and single core CPU recently. I have a few EPUB files that are >40-50M in size. The built-in reader app took a long time (maybe 10-20 seconds) to load them in. But once loaded, paging turning would be smooth.

So, I would say the unit works fine with small files, but you may experience issues with large files. I will try some 100MB+ PDFs soon.

One more thing, today I put T80s and T103 side by side without back light on, and T103 screen did look darker, or a bit yellowish as user orebmur reported. I heard from a Chinese forum (Chinese is my native language) that the reduced reflective capablity is due to the fact that T103 has extra layers on top of eink: touch, magnetic writing, etc....I will find out more.

Overall, I would say it's an OK eink device. I hope one day we can have a 13.3 ich with even front lighting...that would be my dream device. In 2-3 years? I can dream....
@tangocat many thanks!
Well, darker/yellowish screen don't bother me, but the performance issues(though not serious, I do realize it) do. I guess I'd rather wait a bit for some multiple-core creature. My current two androids are Inkbook Prime and Boyue Likebook Plus, both quad-core, and I guess I'm spoiled a bit with their really high performance
One question regarding the reading apps you tried -- besides just opening and paging, did you see any difference in navigation through the file tree? I mean, suppose you want to open a new book and it is located somewhere in the different than current subdirectory so you need to expand/scan several subfolders on the way. To me this was the most irritating part on slow readers...
TIA
petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:55 PM   #58
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Darn, octacore... Why couldn't they just put dual or quad inside their Note?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #59
petrovich
Connoisseur

BTW, Onyx Note is getting some nice FW update:https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...ook-experience
Old 08-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #60
suninmypocket
suninmypocket began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 302
Reading apps

Could someone please tell me if kobo app is fast enough for good reading experience? Using this app with T80 is really fine. But with larger screen it would be great…
suninmypocket is offline   Reply With Quote