Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Stu109
Enthusiast
Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.

Device: Apple
IOS 11 and iTunes update

The new version of iTunes 12.7.0.166 released 13th September 2017 no longer includes i Books. As a result my preferred method of connecting from Windows 10 to my iPad in order to sync eBooks between Calibre and i Books on my iPad no longer exists.

My iPad is running IOS 11.0 (gold beta) and I have tried Calibre Companion which does create a connection and appears to transfer books into CC on the iPad those books do not appear in the i Books app.

The option of selecting and setting the default reading application detailed in the help does not seem to exist in my installation

I have tried the "copied to i Books" option and again books are not actually copied over into i Books itself.

Any ideas ??
Stu109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Nothing to suggest really. I just tried CC on my phone as well (iOS 11) and see that it doesn't do anything when telling it to copy a book to iBooks. I've never noticed if this is new since I don't use iBooks as my reader. Maybe Steve will see this thread and can take a look and fix that? Transferring a file from DropBox to iBooks seems to work fine.

EDIT: Note that I just tried to send a book from CC to MapleRead, Marvin and Hyphen and the books aren't sent to any of them on my phone either. Still works fine on my iPad (where I actually do my reading), but that's still on iOS 10.

iPhone 6 running iOS 11 beta 10 (15A5372a). Edit again: Just loaded the Gold Master build, same results.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-13-2017 at 11:03 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yes, the new iTunes was a pretty big change. It broke some of the tools that I use to format shift my various digital purchases as well. Hopefully the various tool vendors will update to fix the issue. The vendor I use to format shift my video already has a fix in. Hopefully, the audiobook tool fix from the same vendor will come out soon.

The issue with copying from calibre companion to iBook/Marvin/whatever is a change in how ios interacts between programs. That will require a update for calibre companion. Download via the safari web browser and opening in iBooks works.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, I'm not sure how often the IOS CC developer checks the forums. I sent him a private message, but have no idea how to get in touch with him outside the forum. Perhaps the android developer has contact info and will ping him.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Stu109
Enthusiast
Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.

I have also emailed the CC Developer via the website but no response yet. What is working for me is Marvin communicating with Calibre via OPDS and everything came from the pc to the iPad and into Marvin. If you recopy Marvin does not allow duplicates to be imported so that’s good.

Negatives are that Marvin doesn’t handle PDFs and there doesn’t seem to be any way to synchronise Marvin and the PC. Any ideas ?
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

The developer of the marvin plugin for calibre and marvin never got together, so that piece of the puzzle was never rewritten. That was a big reason that I went with CC as the middle wear.

My understanding is that the IOS version of CC was written by a couple of developers who did the work in their spare time. One developer dropped out completely and the other now has a full time job. I suspect that once IOS 11 actually is pushed out to the general public on Tuesday, he will become aware of he issue and fix it. So my suggestion is to be patient. Maybe try sending a private message to the android developer to see if he will ping the IOS developer. Hopefully we will hear something withing a week or so.

Past that, if we don't hear anything soon, I plan to download all my books back into marvin, and go back to my old way of using the recently openned list and reading list to manage what I'm reading.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:08 AM   #7
Stu109
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your input. As you say hopefully the developer will take some action soon as IOS 11.0 will be officially released next week and if this product is not updated I guess it will be removed from the app store.

Any ideas on a reader that will handle E pub and PDF files. Also is it possible to get apple store e books out of I Books and read by something else.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
Kybook 2 is a very good app and supports lots of formats, epub, pdf, mobi, fb2..., works with cloud storages and OPDS.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu109 View Post
Thank you all for your input. As you say hopefully the developer will take some action soon as IOS 11.0 will be officially released next week and if this product is not updated I guess it will be removed from the app store.

Any ideas on a reader that will handle E pub and PDF files. Also is it possible to get apple store e books out of I Books and read by something else.
It is possible to remove the DRM from ebooks, or at least it was. I haven't tried it recently since I mostly buy from Amazon.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Hello everyone, thanks for the messages about iOS 11 breaking CC. I'm now looking into this and will post some more info later today once I know more.

(Edit: I need to update my devices to iOS 11, download the new version of Xcode, etc, and so far that's taking a while!)

Last edited by Steve_Haley; 09-17-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
I hate to say this, but it seems like the problem with the iOS 11 beta...

iOS now has two ways of moving files between apps: the new 'Files' app, and the previous "Document Interaction Controller". Some apps have been updated to work with the new way, but not all. And unfortunately, as far as I've been able to test, the old way seems to be half broken. I tested this with Google Drive, Dropbox and iBooks, as you can see in this screenshot: The upper row of icons, "Copy to Drive", "Copy to Dropbox" and "Copy to iBooks" don't work. The lower row, "Save to Dropbox" and "Save to Files" do work.

Weirdly, this means that one method of saving a file to Dropbox works, and another doesn't - this lends weight to the idea that it's a problem with the new beta. Also, as far as CC is told, the copy operation is successful. I was able to see similar half-broken behaviour elsewhere. For example, Dropbox could "Copy to Google Drive" successfully, but Google Drive didn't seem to be able to send files back.

There are also a smattering of questions on programming forums about this: here, here and here for example. (Remember that the old way was called "UI Document Interaction Controller").

So, meanwhile, I don't have a solution to suggest. I'm going to wait until later this week to see if the 'proper' iOS 11 version is the same. If the bug is still there, I'll try to think of something else.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for looking at this for us, Steve.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
Stu109
Enthusiast

Many thanks for all the feedback and quick investigation. Let’s hope the problem goes away soon with the official release
Old 09-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for looking at it.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

ok, I've got a work around for this.

In calibre companion, select a book. choose read. Instead of copy to Marvin, choose save to Files. Select a folder under On My IPad (I use the Numbers folder). Select Add.

In Marvin, Select menu, Get Book From, Cloud Picker. Select Browse. Choose the folder that you saved the ebook to (it will remember the folder). Select the ebook. and voila.

It's a bit more of a kludge than simply selecting Marvin, but it works and doesn't require that you be connected to your main Calibre database.

After you have saved the ebook to files from Calibre Companion, you can also put up the Files app, go to the folder and do a long select on the ebook in question (i.e. select and hold your finger down). This will pop up a menu. One of the options is share. After you share, you will be given a list of apps to share with, including iBooks and Marvin. Just select the app and the ebook is copied there, just like it use to be with CC.

I've tried both methods and it seems to work.