Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
alansingfield
alansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enough

Device: Boox Note
Wink Knote custom templates (noteTemplate)

I thought I would share some of my experiences with creating custom noteTemplate .png files - it's tricker than I first thought.

I'm after two main styles:
  • Graph paper with 2cm outer grid, 1cm inner grid, 2mm tiny grid.
  • Lined writing paper with margin (like you had in school).

First attempt was to find an online PNG graph generator, generate a graph and copy it to noteTemplates. I set the output size to exactly 1404px wide by 1872px high.

The result was awful! About every 5th or 6th line was missing or narrower than it should be. However, pressing the full-screen button made it look perfect.

So - I can conclude from this that it does a destructive scaling of the image in the view with the toolbar / menubar, then shows at native resolution when you do full screen.

Next challenge was to find out WHICH pixel rows and columns get missed out. Time to get out the software development tools

I created a PNG a little bit like those ones that inkjet printers do to find a blocked nozzle, and loaded that into noteTemplates.

After a lot of counting and fiddling around with Excel, I found that about every 16th/17th pixel gets missed out.

So then I could create a graph drawing program that will look at each line it is going to draw, compare to the list of "dead" pixels - if it is a dead one then shift back or forwards by 1px.

Loaded up into noteTemplate and we have a nice set of clean backgrounds that look good in normal edit or full screen!
alansingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
alansingfield
alansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enoughalansingfield will become famous soon enough

Here are the templates

Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feint.png
Views:	1478
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	165534   Click image for larger version

Name:	FeintWithMargin.png
Views:	1026
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	165535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medium.png
Views:	987
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	165536   Click image for larger version

Name:	MediumWithMargin.png
Views:	1177
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	165537   Click image for larger version

Name:	GraphPaper.png
Views:	1715
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	165538  
Old 08-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
alansingfield

Source code at https://github.com/alansingfield/Boo...PaperGenerator
Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
scoot.at
FlapJack
scoot.at began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Onyx Boox Note
Hey alansingfield. Thanks for the useful info. I was also wondering how to create a new template. Such a question arise, how can I put the templates my Note? Is there any specific folder which I can load the template? Thank you.
scoot.at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
alansingfield

Yes, it's really easy - they go into the noteTemplate folder. This was only introduced in the recent 1.9.0 update so if you can't find the folder you need to upgrade!
Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
scoot.at
FlapJack
scoot.at began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Onyx Boox Note
alansingfield Thank you so much for your help! I am trying right now.
scoot.at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansingfield View Post
Hi alansingfield,

how complicated is describing how to make a template with your sourcecode? I am no newbie, but no expert programmer and have never dealt with csproj /MSbuild. If it requires too many explanations, just let it be and I would fully understand.
I am interested in creating several templates for musical scores...

Anyhow, thanks for the templates you provided (and the source code)...

/Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
alansingfield

CSPROJ etc.

Jayjee,

you could get hold of Visual Studio Community Edition perhaps?

Probably the most useful part of the code is the list of "dud" X and Y positions, you could scrap the rest if you're coding in another language.

Good luck!

Alan.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
any way to do those for the max 2 resolution?
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
alansingfield

Max2 resolution

I don't own one of them myself, so I'd be unable to tell if it works properly or not. It was quite a bit of trial-and-error to find the "missing" lines so not easily done without the device in front of me.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansingfield View Post
I don't own one of them myself, so I'd be unable to tell if it works properly or not. It was quite a bit of trial-and-error to find the "missing" lines so not easily done without the device in front of me.
thanks, i'll do that then, trial and error until I find it.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
M.I.H
M.I.H began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox note
Uploaded some .png Note Templates for Onyx Boox Max 2 / Note devices for anyone that might want them. Black page for writing drawing with white ink, and a series of lined pages with varying line widths both black lines on white and white lines on black.

I used a few websites to create the .png files. First created .pdf lined pages here: https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/lined/ and then converted them to .png here: https://pdf2png.com/ then edited the .png files here: https://www298.lunapic.com/editor/ (using negative filter to create white lines on black). The black page I just saved a blank document in MS Word as a .pdf and then converted it to .png and edited the .png using negative filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Page.png
Views:	346
Size:	427 Bytes
ID:	169823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 1 neg.png
Views:	309
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	169824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 1.png
Views:	509
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	169825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 1_5 neg.png
Views:	374
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	169826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 1_5.png
Views:	416
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	169827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 2 neg.png
Views:	320
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	169828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 2.png
Views:	833
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	169829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 2_5 neg.png
Views:	388
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	169830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lined Page 2_5.png
Views:	499
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	169831  
M.I.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
JonasKofod
JonasKofod began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
The templates works, simple and easy. Thanks.

Is there any way to add templates to the pages for the side note functionality in Neoreader?
JonasKofod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #14
M.I.H
M.I.H began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox note
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasKofod View Post
The templates works, simple and easy. Thanks.

Is there any way to add templates to the pages for the side note functionality in Neoreader?
Hi, not that I know of.
M.I.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #15
souldsad
souldsad began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Hi ,
Can i add this templates on Notes inside a Onyx Note Pro?
Thank You
souldsad is offline   Reply With Quote