Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #1891
Hawf
Hawf began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
@saluli:

Me neither. If you run Calibre in debug mode (under Calibre's Preferences drop down) and post the log I might be able to help more.
Here is the log file under Debug mode.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpgidyob.txt (298.5 KB, 144 views)
Hawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #1892
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawf View Post
Here is the log file under Debug mode.
The log shows that the code went into an infinite loop because it couldn't find what it was looking for on the author's pages.

This is due to a 'skin' issue. Many sites have more than one skin or theme. Sometimes, the changes are enough to prevent FanFicFare from working. FanFicFare only supports the default theme in such cases. (With 140+ sites supported it's just not practical to also support multiple versions of each site.)

@Hawf, change your theme in your account settings on storiesonline.net back to 'Classic' and it should work again.

@davidfor, would you mind taking a look at the loop that starts at adapter_storiesonlinenet.py:196 while you're looking at the metadata code? There has to be a safer way to do that. I'll look into it after you're done if you'd rather not.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #1893
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
@davidfor, would you mind taking a look at the loop that starts at adapter_storiesonlinenet.py:196 while you're looking at the metadata code? There has to be a safer way to do that. I'll look into it after you're done if you'd rather not.
Over the years, I've looked at code in the different applications I have worked on and asked myself, "Who was the idiot who wrote that?" A lot of time I've looked through the version bank to see why it was done like that, I discovered that the idiot was me. Looking at that code, I'm really hoping that it wasn't me, but it probably was.

Yes, I'll fix it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #1894
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, I'll fix it.
I think all coders have had that experience.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #1895
edeniz
Zealot
edeniz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Tolino Shine, Samsung Galaxy S3
A quick metadata question:

Spoiler:
Code:
 genre=>(.*)=>\1\,Alternate Universe - Time Travel\,Time Travel&&description=>(timetravel fic)
 genre=>(.*)=>\1\,Alternate Universe - Time Travel\,Time Travel&&description=>(.*)\b[Tt]ime-? ?[Tt]ravel\b(.*)
 genre=>(.*)=>\1\,Alternate Universe - Time Travel\,Time Travel&&description=>\b\[AU/Time Travel\]\b
 genre=>(.*)=>\1\,Alternate Universe - Time Travel\,Time Travel&&description=>([Tt]ime-? ?[Tt]ravel ?\(AU\)?)
 genre=>(.*)=>\1\,Alternate Universe - Time Travel\,Time Travel&&description=>([Tt]ime ?-?[Tt]ravell?s?e?d?r?i?n?g?s?)
 genre=>(.*)=>\1\,Alternate Universe - Time Travel\,Time Travel&&description=>([Tt]ime ?-?[Tt]ravell?s?e?d?r?i?n?g?s?)

None of these seem to be effective for this link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10973514/1/[1]

Even though the very same works perfectly well for other stories, for example: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11587351/1/[1] or https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11519317/1/[1]

What exactly am I overlooking? I mean, I've even stripped the ini from everything else, and online regex testers tell me there is nothing wrong with these regexes, excessive though they may be. Any one of these should work but doesn't.

I've attached debug log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpPCZLVn.txt (40.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: txt stripped ini.txt (4.5 KB, 124 views)
edeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #1896
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Would it be possible to collect the likes from the stories from dark-solace.org

Here's an example: http://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=2473
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #1897
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edeniz View Post
A quick metadata question:

Spoiler:
Code:
 genre=>(.*)=>\1\,Alternate Universe - Time Travel\,Time Travel&&description=>(timetravel fic)

None of these seem to be effective for this link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10973514/1/[1]
"Unto The Breach" doesn't have any genre on ffnet. Therefore, there's nothing to trigger the genre replacement lines.

You can explicitly add those genre to that story like this:
Code:
[https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10973514/1/]
extragenres:Alternate Universe - Time Travel,Time Travel
But at that point, it's easier to just add them manually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
Would it be possible to collect the likes from the stories from dark-solace.org

Here's an example: http://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=2473
Not really. adapter_darksolaceorg uses the base_efiction code which gets all its data from the print pages. And dark-solace.org doesn't include 'likes' in the print pages.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #1898
edeniz
Zealot
edeniz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Tolino Shine, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
"Unto The Breach" doesn't have any genre on ffnet. Therefore, there's nothing to trigger the genre replacement lines.

You can explicitly add those genre to that story like this:
Code:
[https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10973514/1/]
extragenres:Alternate Universe - Time Travel,Time Travel
But at that point, it's easier to just add them manually...
I knew it had to be something obvious! Why did I ever think it could be otherwise? *sigh* Guess I'm not used to a fanfiction.net story having no genre.

You're completely right, at that point manual adding is easier, no contest, and it's what I prefer. I simply wanted to make sure there wasn't something fundamental I'd somehow screwed up, and if I hadn't asked the question would have nagged at me, because of course I can't see the forest for the trees.

Anyway. Thank you kindly, Jim!
edeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #1899
baggins41
Enthusiast
baggins41 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.)
Breaking change on fimfiction.net

Jimm-

fimfiction.net is now enforcing https for all urls, breaking the current adapter. I tried a simple find/replace on the adapter file (see attached), but stories seem to be taking a much longer amount of time to download than they used to. Much more so than I would have expected from any TLS overhead.

For instance this:
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/325814/
took over 5 minutes to download, where before I would have expected it to take a minute or two.

Is that something to be expected with a change like this, or could something else be broken as a result of the site change?
Attached Files
File Type: py adapter_fimfictionnet.py (17.8 KB, 118 views)
baggins41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #1900
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New test version posted

2017-03-22
- Change http to https for FimF - thanks baggins41
- Update translations.
- Remove defunct sites portkey.org and psychfic.com
- Bump test version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggins41 View Post
fimfiction.net is now enforcing https for all urls, breaking the current adapter.
Thanks for the heads up and the code change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggins41 View Post
I tried a simple find/replace on the adapter file (see attached), but stories seem to be taking a much longer amount of time to download than they used to. Much more so than I would have expected from any TLS overhead.
It could be TLS overhead, or it could be the site imposing a deliberate slow down. Or maybe they made other changes at the same time that are using more cycles.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 AM   #1901
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by version365 View Post
I have another request..

storiesonline.net 's stories have some prelude or introductory text on the chapter index page of a story.
Currently, this is not downloaded..
Can you please include this to be downloaded? maybe on the title page?

Please note, this is not the same as "notice" that gets downloaded as metadata.. because what I am asking for is in <p class="c"></p> ; not class="notice".

On another note, I have noticed that if there is more than one "notice" class in the first page, only the first notice text gets downloaded..
OK, I have a solution for this. Basically, all the extra text on the index page will be put into the "notice" tag. It probably should be called something else, but this reduces the changes in the configuration. But, I do recommend it is put either first or last on the page. And changing the label for the notice to nothing works even better.

The only problem I have the cover image. I don't like including it and have to add some code to process it properly. The cover image will already be retrieved if you have that option turned on, but it isn't being displayed anywhere in the book.

The other thing I noticed while doing this is that a lot of the styles don't show as the default used by FFF doesn't include them. I have grabbed the stylesheet from the site and cut out all the styles that don't make it to the epub. I'm not sure whether to include this as the default styles for the site in the plugin. If you want to try and see if it does improve the downloaded books, here it is. Just add all of into the personal.ini.

Spoiler:

Code:
[storiesonline.net:epub]
output_css: 
 *{box-sizing:border-box}
 h1,h2,h3{text-align:center;line-height:120%%}
 h1{font-size:2em}
 h2{font-size:1.6em}
 h3{font-size:1.4em}
 h4{font-size:1.15em}
 h5{font-size:1.1em}
 h6{font-size:1.05em}
 small{font-size:0.93em}
 big{font-size:1.07em}
 td{text-align:left;vertical-align:top;padding:2px}
 th{text-align:center;vertical-align:top;padding:2px}
 .cen{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto}
 .thick{height:0;border-top:#666 6px solid}
 blockquote{margin-left:3em;margin-right:3em;border-left:2px #ddd solid;padding-left:8pt}
 blockquote p{font-family:Courier, monospace}
 .right,.r{text-align:right}
 .just,.j{text-align:justify;text-indent:2em}
 .in{text-indent:2em}
 .center,.c{text-align:center}
 .red{color:red}
 .blue{color:navy}
 .lblue{color:blue}
 .green{color:green}
 .i{font-style:italic}
 .b{font-weight:bold}
 .bi{font-weight:bold;font-style:italic}
 .lb{background-color:#9DF}
 .lg{background-color:#9FB}
 .imgsp{border:1px maroon solid;margin:10px}
 .notice,.end-note{background-color:#FFE;padding:5px;border:1px dotted silver;margin-bottom:5px;color:navy}
 .notice p,.end-note p{font-family:Helvetica,sans-serif;color:navy}
 .notice p{font-size:90%%}
 .invis{display:none}
 .ind-e{margin-top:10px;margin-bottom:5px;font-family:sans-serif;font-weight:bold}
 .pic-left{float:left;margin:5px}
 .pic-right{float:right;margin:5px}
 .pic-center{margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;clear:both;display:block}
 .ind-note{font-size:0.85em;font-family:sans-serif;margin:0 40pt 6pt 35pt;font-style:italic}
 .str{text-decoration:line-through}
 .tt{font-family:Courier, Monaco, monospaced}
 hr{width:30%%}
 .fr{float:right}
 small{font-family:Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt}
 td{text-align:left}
 blockquote{margin-left:3em;margin-right:3em;font-family:Courier, monospace}
 .right,.r{text-align:right}
 .just,.j{text-align:justify;text-indent:2em}
 .center,.c{text-align:center}.in{text-indent:2em}.red{color:red}.blue{color:navy}.lblue{color:blue}.green{color:green}A:link{color:maroon}A:visited{color:red}
 p{text-align:left;font-family:Georgia,serif;color:#000;word-break:break-word}
 .i{font-style:italic}.b{font-weight:bold}
 .bi{font-weight:bold;font-style:italic}
 .fr{float:right}#story{padding:2em}}
 img{max-width:100%%;height:auto}
Old 03-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #1902
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
The other thing I noticed while doing this is that a lot of the styles don't show as the default used by FFF doesn't include them. I have grabbed the stylesheet from the site and cut out all the styles that don't make it to the epub. I'm not sure whether to include this as the default styles for the site in the plugin. If you want to try and see if it does improve the downloaded books, here it is. Just add all of into the personal.ini.
So far, I've avoided adding site-specific output_css settings to defaults.ini. There are trade-offs regarding sizes and colors between honoring the sites and providing uniform output for often gray scale reader devices.

I generally lean towards uniformity of output more. (To the point I DeDRM my boughten books so I can edit them to match FFF output.)

However, since I don't read storiesonline.net, I don't have a feel for how important these styles may be. Opinions welcome.

davidfor: Be aware of replace_tags_with_spans. That's the mechanism that deals with <u> etc tags that epub doesn't include.

Also, I'd be more inclined to use add_to_output_css, so existing more general customizations are still applied.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #1903
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So far, I've avoided adding site-specific output_css settings to defaults.ini. There are trade-offs regarding sizes and colors between honoring the sites and providing uniform output for often gray scale reader devices.

I generally lean towards uniformity of output more. (To the point I DeDRM my boughten books so I can edit them to match FFF output.)
I can understand that and tend towards it myself. But, I also like a little variety. For purchased books, if I have to edit them, I try to respect the style used. But, if it's a complete mess, I just do whatever is needed.

I do have a plugin I have written to do some common processing on stories downloaded using FFF and some other sources for epubs. Among other things, it replaces the stylesheet with my standard one. That's why I haven't really noticed the lack in the standard one in FFF. I still end up editing most and do a spelling check on them while I am at it (and I really wish authors would learn the difference between "discrete" and "discreet").
Quote:
However, since I don't read storiesonline.net, I don't have a feel for how important these styles may be. Opinions welcome.
Most of them probably aren't important. I noticed that ".notice" was missing because I was working on it. There are probably only a few more that are important. And, like you, I'm hoping some of the other readers put in an opinion. And anyone who uses FineStories should chime in as well. The two sites are the same except for exactly which stories are available.
Quote:
davidfor: Be aware of replace_tags_with_spans. That's the mechanism that deals with <u> etc tags that epub doesn't include.
I hadn't noticed that. But, I remember needing to add ".u" style to my stylesheet.
Quote:
Also, I'd be more inclined to use add_to_output_css, so existing more general customizations are still applied.
Yes, that's probably a better option. Use the defaults and add the needed site specific styles with this.

There are two things I have thought about because of the stylesheets, but don't see. One is an "include" function to read an externally stored stylesheet. The main reason for this is to keep the personal.ini size down. But, editing the stylsheet another editor such as Notepad++ is easier. And if you want to use the same stylesheet for two sites, you don't need to have separate copies in the personal.ini.

The other is a "user site stylesheet" option. The storiesonline stylesheet would work in an FFF created epub. There would be a lot of extra styles, but, nothing getting in the way of the book.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #1904
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
There are two things I have thought about because of the stylesheets, but don't see. One is an "include" function to read an externally stored stylesheet. The main reason for this is to keep the personal.ini size down. But, editing the stylsheet another editor such as Notepad++ is easier. And if you want to use the same stylesheet for two sites, you don't need to have separate copies in the personal.ini.

The other is a "user site stylesheet" option. The storiesonline stylesheet would work in an FFF created epub. There would be a lot of extra styles, but, nothing getting in the way of the book.
Interesting ideas.

Including from a file raises issues with different OS file names and FFF versions (plugin vs CLI), but no worse than default_cover_image and it would be straightforward. I could also see this being used with http for sharing stylesheets.

Pulling stylesheets from the sites seems prohibitively complex. A page can include many stylesheets (including common ones like jquery-ui) as well as on-page styles. And each site can use some different combination. And then there's different site themes/skins which already causes problems sometimes.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #1905
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I have URL columns for Author and Story (not the same column), it's comments-columns.

Is it possible to make the URL's clickable instead of just plain-text?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Att.png
Views:	114
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	155842  
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction