Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
aleritty
aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
To update or not to update: This is the question

Hello, I have a Kindle PW2 with the 5.4.2.1 firmware (rooted).
I'm using the BackDoorLock hack, but for a long time i just didn't connect my kindle to wifi.

Now, I tried to understand if the many updates are worth or not, are they harmful or good? Here on the forum I read some conflicting opinions, maybe someone can help.

After I resolve this I'll ask for my oldoer ones (still actively using them...).
aleritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Some more information about how you use the device would be helpful for giving useful advice.

How many books do you keep on it?
Are they delivered direct from Amazon or do you sideload?
Is the experience of looking through your collection on the device important to you?
Would better typography when reading books be of interest?
Is social media (Goodreads) of interest?
Etc.

Last edited by jhowell; 05-25-2016 at 11:27 AM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Developers Corner would be the best place to ask this question....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Katie,

Nah, this isn't about hacking or firmware. The OP just wants to know if it is worth getting a standard Amazon-supplied firmware update.

aleritty,

I would leave it alone, unless there is a feature in a newer firmware release that you want.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
And, what jhowell said.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Isamilis
Connoisseur
Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2015, Oasis, Paperwhite 2016
I think that depends on what tweak or features that you got from jailbroken firmware? Also, balance that with what new features do you like in the new firmware? In my case, I still at 5.6.5 and jailed.
Isamilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@aleritty: If I were you I would prepare my Kindle for firmware downgrade via diagnostics by installing and testing (setup SSH access on you PC) Rescue Pack & Coward's rescue pack , before doing any firmware updates. So you can go back to any older firmware you like best in case you don't like new UI or have battery drain issues. Better to have all that ready and not use it, if you decide you like the new UI of fw 5.7.x.

In any case you should definitely be aware of new thing before doing the update. Things like removal of those dots indicating length of books, smaller & thinner fonts on Home screen view of new UI...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I prefer the 5.7.x firmware myself. In particular, I think the way that search results are presented is a lot better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
For me, the legibility issue alone is enough to make me not recommend the update. The disappearing dots just pounds that nail in the coffin.

However, shamanNS's advice seems soundest, to make sure you can go back to a previous version. You really have to test out the update for yourself to decide if it's worth it.

The other thing you could do is go to a Best Buy or Staples and pick up the latest Kindle and look at the new UI.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
aleritty
aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
Sorry for the delay, I've had my laptop in for repair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell
How many books do you keep on it? Do this matter in any way? Around 100... less than 200MB for sure

Are they delivered direct from Amazon or do you sideload? I'll do my sideload mainly, but every now and then I buy from amazon or send a document via whispersync

Is the experience of looking through your collection on the device important to you? what do you mean? I'm not using collections now, mainly because collections aren't so comfortable to use.

Would better typography when reading books be of interest? Of course
Is social media (Goodreads) of interest? Actually not... I discovered Goodreads today
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz
I would leave it alone, unless there is a feature in a newer firmware release that you want.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Yep, I applied this reason 'till now, but now I lost the list of advantages/disadvantages so I'm asking what's going on about decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS
installing and testing (setup SSH access on you PC) Rescue Pack & Coward's rescue pack , before doing any firmware updates. So you can go back to any older firmware you like best in case you don't like new UI or have battery drain issues. Better to have all that ready and not use it, if you decide you like the new UI of fw 5.7.x.
Yep, I'm with you about this, this is because I locked the upgrades in the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS
In any case you should definitely be aware of new thing before doing the update. Things like removal of those dots indicating length of books, smaller & thinner fonts on Home screen view of new UI...
Ok, now this is getting intresting... The lenght of book indicator is really useful! And I don't know about the new UI, I was asking about what changes (and what disadvantages) brought the new firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD
The other thing you could do is go to a Best Buy or Staples and pick up the latest Kindle and look at the new UI.
I'm not from USA... we don't have Kindle reseller in Italy (or maybe not in my city) so I cannot see it with my eyes!

Thank you everyone!
aleritty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw2, upgrade