Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instructions for patching firmware 3.19.5613

See the Firmware 3.19.5613 discussion thread for information about what has changed in this firmware version.

See the Index to the Metazoa firmware patches thread for a description of what some of these patches do.

Before starting:

1. Make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 3.19.5613 (4b76aa47bd). If not, then you need to upgrade before applying this patch.

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_3195613.zip (attached). [WARNING: If using Windows, make sure the path to the extracted files does not contain any '&' characters.]

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 3.19.5613 for your device (See this thread) and copy it into the 3.19.5613_source/ subdirectory. (Don't extract the firmware zip archive.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 3.19.5613_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows double-click 3.19.5613.bat; For Linux/Mac open a terminal, change to the patch_kobo_3195613/ subdirectory, and run ./3.19.5613.sh from the command line.

5. If there were no errors, copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz from the 3.19.5613_target/ subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 3.19.5613_source/*.patch files to disable all patches (set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_3195613.zip (477.2 KB, 1350 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-29-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Updated attachment to add new `Custom page refresh (Aura only)` patches
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes and more patches

Notes:

This firmware version fixes the page refresh bug that especially affected full-screen reading mode in 3.18.0.

There is another bug that affects KePubs only in full-screen mode, but it is not a big one: once you read past a chapter break the margins can no longer be adjusted, until the book is closed and re-opened.

The following patches are currently missing, I'm not sure yet whether/when they will be back:
* `Compact homepage layout (Glo only)`
* `Compact homepage layout (Aura only)`
* `Remove white borders from homescreen tile book covers`

The `Disable pinch-to-zoom font resizing` patch is no longer needed as the Aura's pinch bug has been fixed in this firmware version.

There is a new `Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs` patch which replaces the following three patches:
* `Fix kepub side bearing font cut-off bug`
* `KePub zero body margin/padding`
* `Disable KePub FullSceenReading block img style`

There are new `Custom page refresh options (Aura only)` patches, as the other `Custom page refresh` patches don't have any effect on the Aura.

These patches are new since the last version, see the notes in the patches themselves for info:
* `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom`
* `KePub full justification default`
* `Un-Force user font-family in KePubs`

See post #63 for a summary of how to customise the `Custom reading footer style` patch.

There is a new Kobo Patch GUI that can be used to select which patches you want to enable/disable. With the patches for this firmware version it can also check for mutually-exclusive alternatives.

More patches:

A replacement hyphenation dictionary for the Dutch language. (This dictionary works with all firmware versions, but needs to be re-installed after each firmware update.)

A Turkish language hyphenation dictionary can be found here. Although this firmware version has support for Turkish as a UI language, it doesn't come with a Turkish hyphenation dictionary, so this one will probably remain installed after a firmware update (unless Kobo add their own in a future firmware version.)

A patch for `'Changing the info panel in full size screensaver`

A patch to increase the `Dictionary frame size`

If you know of any other patches for firmware 3.19.5613 post them in this thread and I'll add them to this post.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-07-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added link to Dutch and Turkish hyphenation dictionaries
Old 12-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #3
outlandos
Connoisseur
outlandos doesn't litteroutlandos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Awesome, your the boss!

Thank you very much.
outlandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #4
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Have Kobo gone and changed the font handling again?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Have Kobo gone and changed the font handling again?
Possibly. They replaced two fonts, so there might have been some other changes around that. I haven't noticed anything, but I'm pretty boring with my fonts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard

I've updated the zip in post #1 to include the `Disable reading footer` and `Custom reading footer style` patches.

I'll post the `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch here in case anyone wants to test it. There is a problem when changing fonts in the ePub reader with this patch enabled, but it might only occur after the new Kobo Tsukushi Mincho and Kobo UD Kakugo fonts are used. If you avoid using those two fonts then it might be okay, let me know if you try it.

Firmware 3.19.5613, paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch.
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Freedom to advanced fonts control`
patch_enable = `no`
#
# This patch allows the advanced font options (weight/sharpness adjustments)
# to work with sideloaded fonts too. (KEPUB: OTF and TTF. EPUB: TTF only.)
#
# WARNING: IT IS NOT SAFE TO ENABLE THIS PATCH IF YOUR DEVICE IS SET TO A
# JAPANESE LOCALE OR JAPANESE BOOKS ARE OPENED.
#
# VolumeManager.isJapanese(a) --> False
replace_bytes = 613964, F0 F5 40 ED, 00 20 00 20
# N3FontTypeUtil.setupMonotypeDropdown(b,c)
# --> N3FontTypeUtil.setupDropdown(UNDEFINED,b,c) e2fe44 4129cc
replace_bytes = 79583E, 58 46 51 46, 59 46 52 46
replace_bytes = 795842, 66 F4 A8 EF, 7D F4 C4 E8
# N3FontTypeController.setupAdvancedOption --> NOP
replace_bytes = 8C58C4, 61 F7 76 E0, 00 46 00 46
replace_bytes = 8C6C72, 5F F7 A0 E6, 00 46 00 46
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-08-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: If you avoid using those two fonts ...
Old 12-09-2015, 12:45 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard

After further testing, I think the problem is with the new Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font, not with the patch.

Even with unpatched firmware, loading the Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font in the ePub reader is causing various problems -- the book gets stuck on the Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font and can't change to anything else, if I try to change to another font the book closes when I try to turn the page, and when I re-open it it is still set to the Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font. I have to power off and reboot, then open the book and change the font to something else.

The KePub reader seems to have no problem with it though.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:45 AM   #8
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thank you very much, GeoffR. The patcher works fine on my »Kobo Aura H2O«.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I made a patch 'Changing the info panel in full size screensaver' for firmware 3.19.5613 that I post here.
It's for device with res 1440x1080 and 1024x768 (glo, aura, aura hd\h2o) i don't know if it work on glo hd.
the info panel is in the top corner, if you want it to be in the bottom corner, change the number.
If your charging in sleeping mode, the text "sleeping" be cut.

libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch
Spoiler:

Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Changing the info panel in full size screensaver`
patch_enable = `yes`
# version patch: 3.19.5613
#
#Warning if you charge in sleep mode the text "sleeping" is cut
#
#background-color transparent
replace_string = C05A3B, `background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 234);`, `background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 120);`
replace_string = C05A8E, `background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 234);`, `background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 120);`
#
#
#<<<Kobo glo+Kobo Aura>>>
#QWidget-height from the top
#To move the info pannel to the botten corner change 000px to 904px 
replace_string = C059AF, `min-height: 680px;`, `min-height: 000px;`
replace_string = C059C3, `max-height: 680px;`, `max-height: 000px;`
# infoWidget-box width height  
replace_string = C05B4B, `min-width: 380px;`, `min-width: 260px;`
replace_string = C05B5E, `min-height: 230px;`, `min-height: 120px;`
replace_string = C05B72, `max-height: 230px;`, `max-height: 120px;`
# infoFrame-Margin
replace_string = C05EF7, `qproperty-leftMargin: 40;`, `qproperty-leftMargin: 02;`
replace_string = C05F12, `qproperty-topMargin: 20;`, `qproperty-topMargin: 02;`
replace_string = C05F2C, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 20;`, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 02;`
#
#
#<<<Kobo Aura HD\H2O>>>
#To move the info pannel to the botten corner change 0000px to 1290px 
replace_string = C0595B, `min-height: 1000px;`, `min-height: 0000px;`
replace_string = C05970, `max-height: 1000px;`, `max-height: 0000px;`
# infoWidget-box width height 
replace_string = C05AE2, `min-width: 470px;`, `min-width: 350px;`
replace_string = C05AF5, `min-height: 260px;`, `min-height: 150px;`
replace_string = C05B09, `max-height: 260px;`, `max-height: 150px;`
# infoFrame-Margin
replace_string = C05E78, `qproperty-leftMargin: 60;`, `qproperty-leftMargin: 02;`
replace_string = C05E93, `qproperty-topMargin: 25;`, `qproperty-topMargin: 02;`
replace_string = C05EAD, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 25;`, `qproperty-bottomMargin: 02;`
</Patch>

EDIT:Multi-version 3.13.1-3.19.5613,+Mini here.

Last edited by oren64; 12-12-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Multi-version 3.13.1-3.19.5613,+Mini here.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
After further testing, I think the problem is with the new Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font, not with the patch.

Even with unpatched firmware, loading the Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font in the ePub reader is causing various problems -- the book gets stuck on the Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font and can't change to anything else, if I try to change to another font the book closes when I try to turn the page, and when I re-open it it is still set to the Kobo Tsukushi Mincho font. I have to power off and reboot, then open the book and change the font to something else.

The KePub reader seems to have no problem with it though.
Is it possible to make a patch that remove this 2 fonts ?? (or make them disappear from the font drop down list ??) So you can't choose them by accident ??
typical Kobo.. fixes bugs and introducing new ones..this font one is dangerous because many people just get it in their device, unknowing that this can happen.. maybe it would be better if Kobo would "take back" this firmware..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can we please get the patch to fix the bottom padding bug in ePub? Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #12
rudgas
rudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy bluerudgas can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo mini/Glo HD
Thanks for the work you put into this! Really appreciated :-)

One question though, in the libnickel.patch file, there are often different replacement strings for different readers. To me it's not completely clear if it's safe to leave those strings uncommented (thinking that if it's not my reader the string the patch is looking for isn't even there) or if I should comment all lines of code for the other readers.

Thanks a lot!
rudgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Tested and working on Aura HD & Mini.

Thanks for your hard work, Geoff!

Last edited by booklover6; 12-09-2015 at 07:49 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-09-2015 at 08:49 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I made a patch 'Changing the info panel in full size screensaver' for firmware 3.19.5613 that I post here.
It's for device with res 1440x1080 and 1024x768 (glo, aura, aura hd\h2o) i don't know if it work on glo hd.
I think there is a problem with the patch: you are replacing substrings within a larger string, but your replacements are shorter than the originals. This means that the larger string will be truncated after the first substring.

For example in this section:
Code:
#<<<Kobo glo+Kobo Aura>>>
#To move the info pannel to the botten corner change 00px to 904px 
replace_string = C059AF, `min-height: 680px;`, `min-height: 00px;`
replace_string = C059C3, `max-height: 680px;`, `max-height: 00px;`
the string will now end after the `min-height: 00px;`

To safely replace substrings within a larger string you need to make sure the replecements are the exact same length as the originals, e.g.
Code:
#To move the info pannel to the botten corner change 000px to 904px 
replace_string = C059AF, `min-height: 680px;`, `min-height: 000px;`
replace_string = C059C3, `max-height: 680px;`, `max-height: 000px;`