Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
halfyada
halfyada began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Looking for new model, Kindle 3/DXG vs Nook

I just want to start by saying I had tried the old model Sony Pocket Reader, and while the device was okay I found the 5" screen a bit too small and price a bit high and returned and bought the Kobo eReader. I live in Canada, so it was the easiest option. I wasn't interested in touch screen, I prefer a less reflective surface and a manual page forward/back buttons.

I am pretty much fed up with my Kobo and I am considering getting a new device mainly because of speed and ease of use. The Kobo is basic and what it does, it does well. However, the power on time + load book time is horrible. At least before the firmware update I use to keep the device in the book all the time so I didn't have to worry, but now it has auto-sleep mode and then auto-power off. Also, while it is charging, I cannot read which is something the Sony Pocket Reader could do.

I am not interested in the new Sony readers because I don't care for the touch interface and I want WIFI. I also divide my reading between my device and my iPhone 3GS. If I am in the middle of a chapter (One chapter in the book I just finished, Inside Delta Force, was over half of the book) I would still like to be able to sync the phone and eReader.

So, it comes down to the two biggest contenders because they are the better devices out there and I am just tired of waiting for things to improve on Kobo.

I am a tech savvy person and know my way around devices and software so I do not care about the ePUB war many people like to get on with. I know how to use converters if need be so that point is moot. I for one would think MOBI would be the standard since Kindle has such a huge market share.

What is the battery life like in comparison between Nook, Kindle 3, and Kindle DXG?

What is the average time it takes from off/standby to actually be reading a book?

What is the page turn times like on Nook/Kindle 3/DXG (<1s, <500ms, >1s)?

Do they offer sync or are they planning on producing sync option between reading devices?

Do they offer in-text search? I know Kindles do but not sure if Nook does. It would be much easier to sync if I could use text based searching and no other sync option is available.

What is novel sorting/grouping like in comparison? I would like to group titles manually, impossible on Kobo (by Author, by Title, or by Currently Reading only).

Is there an on-device favorites or currently reading group? Can you add or remove titles from favorites?

I would like to get a Kindle DXG, but I also want WIFI (No 3G coverage for sync in my area as it uses Rogers and only 3G here is Bell/Telus). Should I wait for Amazon to release a Kindle DX 3 with WIFI (Probably release April 2011)?
halfyada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Unless you're into library books, get a Kindle 3 WiFi. It's a 3rd generation ereader, while the Nook is still a 2nd gen device. This newer technology brings a sharper display, faster page turns, increased battery life (2-3x longer), increased storage (4GB vs 2GB), black body, and a cheaper price tag ($139 vs $149).

Since I'm into library books, I'm waiting for Nook 2.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Information about the Nook:

What is the battery life like in comparison between Nook, Kindle 3, and Kindle DXG?
Not as good as other readers because of the touchscreen. Most people need to charge after 4 or 5 days. It will depend on your needs if this is a problem for you.

What is the average time it takes from off/standby to actually be reading a book?
Only turn the Nook off if you will not use it for a long time. Otherwise just let it go to sleep. In sleep mode it takes 5 seconds to display the page you were reading.

2 seconds.

Do they offer sync or are they planning on producing sync option between reading devices?
There is already syncing between the Nook applications. Syncing with the Nook device will hopefully be one of the features of the next firmware version (supposed to be released in the next few months).

Do they offer in-text search? I know Kindles do but not sure if Nook does. It would be much easier to sync if I could use text based searching and no other sync option is available.
The Nook offers in-text-search (except for PDF files).

What is novel sorting/grouping like in comparison? I would like to group titles manually, impossible on Kobo (by Author, by Title, or by Currently Reading only).
Ways to organize your books is the most requested feature for the next firmware version. We will have to wait and see.
At the moment you can only sort like the Kobo.

B&N sells only a small number of books to Canada. Most books are USA-only.
If you register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address you have access to all the books. You can use any valid US address, just google something.

Last edited by geertm; 09-23-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Workaround for geo-restrictions B&N added
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Unless you're into library books, get a Kindle 3 WiFi. It's a 3rd generation ereader, while the Nook is still a 2nd gen device. This newer technology brings a sharper display, faster page turns, increased battery life (2-3x longer), increased storage (4GB vs 2GB), black body, and a cheaper price tag ($139 vs $149).

Since I'm into library books, I'm waiting for Nook 2.
Just a couple of flip points...

1. Yep, Kindle Battery lasts much longer. But the battery is not user replaceable. So, in theory, you could keep a spare for your Nook... and more importantly, when the battery wears out, you can easily replace it in the Nook.

2. On device storage on the Kindle is larger... but the Kindle can't take SD cards... so I would say this is mostly a wash, especially when one considers that each reader can holds thousands of books.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my DXG. I prefer to read hardback books which are closer in size to the DX.

DXG has a 2-3 week battery life without whispernet. I have gone three weeks in between charges no problem.

No idea but it is fast. (grins)

Fast, K3 is suppose to be faster.

The DXG allows you to sync between different Kindles and Kindle Apps for all books purchased through Amazon.

Yes the DXG does

You can create your own collections on the Kindle. You choose your own catagories and assign books to whatever catagory you want.

Is there an on-device favorites or currently reading group? Can you add or remove titles from favorites?

I don't know what you mean by this.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I can speak for the Nook

anywhere from 4-8days depending on how much you use the touchscreen and in airplane mode (3G and wifi off)
from a powered off to ready to read your book 1min and 15 secs. from sleep to book 4.5secs. Yeah I stopped watched mine. LOL
[B]What is the page turn times like on Nook/Kindle 3/DXG (<1s, <500ms, >1s)?
slightly less than 2 secs. also the Nook offeres page turning via the finger swiping method over a "dark" lcd screen. It's very enjoyable and renders a much more natural feel to page turning as opposed to the buttons. [/B]
it's in the works, I have the Nook app on my Droid X and it has a "sync" option in the settings. And reports have said this will be a future upgrad.
Yes

for the Nook as of right now it's bare bones, sorting is by title, author and most recent as express up above it's the most requested upgrade for the Nook and would be surprised if Folders, etc are not part of the next firmware upgrade. Barnes and Noble has been great about upgrades They do seem to listen to their customers. and it's been out since Nov. of '09 and there have alread been 4 upgrades

the Nook does have a Reading Now icon option, also if put it to sleep while on a page it wakes up to that same page. As of right now there is no "Favorites" settings. We'll see if something similiar will added with a new sorting upgrade

Good luck and I hope this helps
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I'll speak as someone who owns both.

K3 is amazing on battery life. I went almost the full month stated without charging mine, Wi-Fi off 99% of the time, of course. With the nook I am down to around 60% already after only a few hours of usage, and that's in airplane mode. K3 wins here easily.

I haven't timed them, but I would say the K3 is slightly faster in both areas.

With the nook it is a few seconds or less, as others have said. Haven't timed the K3, but I would venture to say under 1s is correct. It is fast.

K3 wins here again, can sync between different Kindle models and my Droid. Nothing for nook as of yet.

Both do.

K3 winner again. Collections aren't folders, but they are better than what the nook has, which is pretty much nothing.

Nothing on the nook, apart from the currently reading icon that was mentioned. On the K3 you can make a currently reading or favorites collection. What I do is put books in either "To Be Read" or "Finished" collections, but I leave the one I am currently reading out on the main K3 screen. Works very well for me.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Just a couple of flip points...

1. Yep, Kindle Battery lasts much longer. But the battery is not user replaceable. So, in theory, you could keep a spare for your Nook... and more importantly, when the battery wears out, you can easily replace it in the Nook.

2. On device storage on the Kindle is larger... but the Kindle can't take SD cards... so I would say this is mostly a wash, especially when one considers that each reader can holds thousands of books.

--
Bill
1- True, I could carry a spare battery; but that costs an extra $30, raising the price of the Nook to $179. Plus, there's the hassle of carrying a spare battery. I'm not concerned with replacing a dead battery. Chances are, the battery will still be going strong when I upgrade.

2- True again; but to achieve the minimum 4GB I require (audiobooks and music), means I have to spend additional money to buy a card. The same thing with the color. In order to get a matte black finish similar to the Kindle, I'd have to spend $20 on a skin.

Adding it all up, means the Nook would cost me $204 compared to the Kindle's $139. That's why I'm hoping N2 matches K3. As it stands now, the Nook is too expensive just to get library books.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
And there is the hassel of charging the spare battery before you go someplace when you might need it.

I have the K1 and bought a spare battery for my trip to Austalia and New Zealand. I was concerned that the battery would not last long enough on the long, long, really long plane flights and lay overs. I removed the first battery, replaced it with the new battery, and charged the new battery. So I had two charged batteries with me. I ended up not needing the second battery, which was nice.

So to be prepared because the K1 battery life is close to 14 hours total (2 hours a day times 7 days in a week is my guess), I bought a second battery ($20), took the time to charge the first and then the second, and carried the second charged battery with me for 2 weeks. It did not take up a ton of space and was not too expensive but had I had the K2 or K3, I wouldn't have even worried about it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
1- True, I could carry a spare battery; but that costs an extra $30, raising the price of the Nook to $179. Plus, there's the hassle of carrying a spare battery. I'm not concerned with replacing a dead battery. Chances are, the battery will still be going strong when I upgrade.

2- True again; but to achieve the minimum 4GB I require (audiobooks and music), means I have to spend additional money to buy a card. The same thing with the color. In order to get a matte black finish similar to the Kindle, I'd have to spend $20 on a skin.

Adding it all up, means the Nook would cost me $204 compared to the Kindle's $139. That's why I'm hoping N2 matches K3. As it stands now, the Nook is too expensive just to get library books.
I am not trying to argue that the Nook is a better buy, just point out that there are other factors to consider when you look at the storage and battery questions.

Regarding 4 GB.... if you are planning on storing much in the way of music and audio books, you might find yourself getting a little cramped in the long run. I am not personally a big fan of using eBook Readers for music or audiobooks... an ipod or other small mp3 player probably is a better solution. If I was going to use my ebook reader for music though, I think I probably would want at least 8, and more likely 16 GB of storage.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
The bigger, the better. Thats what I found for myself. I stared with 5'' and ended up with 9.7' DXG. For just reading books the cheaper one with better screen is good enough. Other factors, like page turning speed, battery life are not that important. All of em can hold tons of books. Touch screens will drain the battery faster for sure. Also dont expect any miracles from an 6-incher. Its only good for reading simple books. For PDFs and complex literature bigger screen is a must. DXG is good, but its the only one so far. I like it but would like PDF handling to be better. Once other brands come out with bigger screen devices and pearl screens it would be a nice game to be part of. But for now DXG is winning the battle for me.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I am not trying to argue that the Nook is a better buy, just point out that there are other factors to consider when you look at the storage and battery questions.

Regarding 4 GB.... if you are planning on storing much in the way of music and audio books, you might find yourself getting a little cramped in the long run. I am not personally a big fan of using eBook Readers for music or audiobooks... an ipod or other small mp3 player probably is a better solution. If I was going to use my ebook reader for music though, I think I probably would want at least 8, and more likely 16 GB of storage.

--
Bill
I know and I've already weighed out all of my options; and for now, I'll wait for Nook 2.

As to storage, I only plan on loading three to four audiobooks and just a bit of classical music. With each audiobook taking up 1/4GB to 1/2GB and more, I'll definitely need more than the 1.3GB available on the Nook; which I want reserved for ebooks. The additional 2GB will be enough for a few audiobooks and some music.

I agree that it's a poor choice for audiobooks and music; and I wouldn't dream of using it as my primary listening device. It's too big and fragile. I just want some loaded for times that I might be without my MP3 player.

For audiobooks, my primary device is a Sansa Clip+. With it, I can do music, audiobooks, podcasts, and FM radio. It'll support MP3 and WMA audiobooks from the library; and audiobooks from Audible. Plus it's very small, very inexpensive, and has a mSD card slot. It's the perfect player.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
The bigger, the better. Thats what I found for myself. I stared with 5'' and ended up with 9.7' DXG.
5 inches to 9.7 feet certainly is quite a size increase, as you say!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I know and I've already weighed out all of my options; and for now, I'll wait for Nook 2.

As to storage, I only plan on loading three to four audiobooks and just a bit of classical music. With each audiobook taking up 1/4GB to 1/2GB and more, I'll definitely need more than the 1.3GB available on the Nook; which I want reserved for ebooks. The additional 2GB will be enough for a few audiobooks and some music.

I agree that it's a poor choice for audiobooks and music; and I wouldn't dream of using it as my primary listening device. It's too big and fragile. I just want some loaded for times that I might be without my MP3 player.

For audiobooks, my primary device is a Sansa Clip+. With it, I can do music, audiobooks, podcasts, and FM radio. It'll support MP3 and WMA audiobooks from the library; and audiobooks from Audible. Plus it's very small, very inexpensive, and has a mSD card slot. It's the perfect player.

totally off topic but the Sansa Clip+ is nice, very nice one of the best sounding DMP/MP3 players on the market, much nicer sound than my Nano.

ok sorry
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compare, iphone, kindle, nook, versus