Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
My local library only loans epub books so not compatable with my K3. Not that bothered as their collection is rather limited at the moment, but I suppose I'd be able to use my Sony if I found a book I wanted to read.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Everything's relative. I find it quite easy.
This is true. Amazon markets the Kindle for the computer-disinclined, but that doesn't mean all Kindle owners are computer-averse.

Frankly, once the correct software is installed and the script process is set up and you get in the swing of things, it is simple. It's getting the key part that was non-trivial for me (on a Mac). I can't speak to the Windows setup, and I suspect it varies slightly depending on what version you are running.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
You'd have to go through a very large number of library book loans to warrant buying a second eBook reader just for that. If library books are important to you then you either buy a device like the Sony that supports it or use the workarounds available for the Kindle.
Well I had the Sony first. It now functions as a back up reader and I guess I can also use it for library books if I wanted to borrow them.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
This is true. Amazon markets the Kindle for the computer-disinclined, but that doesn't mean all Kindle owners are computer-averse.

Frankly, once the correct software is installed and the script process is set up and you get in the swing of things, it is simple. It's getting the key part that was non-trivial for me (on a Mac). I can't speak to the Windows setup, and I suspect it varies slightly depending on what version you are running.
I had to install python then install the stripping program. Now it's three clicks to strip an ePub and then I just convert it with Calibre. We're talking less than a minute of work and they convert beautifully. Mobis are even easier.

If you're comfortable with the legality, the technical issues shouldn't be a barrier. Seriously, I've had more difficulties with iTunes and you don't see people advising computer-averse people not to get an iPod because the software is poorly designed. I think more people are intimidated because it sounds like it would be really technical.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
xmiyux
Enthusiast
xmiyux doesn't litterxmiyux doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I had to install python then install the stripping program.

I think more people are intimidated because it sounds like it would be really technical.
I think people are intimidated because pythons are scary.
xmiyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
I think people are intimidated because pythons are scary.

They should think of Monty Python instead...that's where the language name came from.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #22
Laurathereader
Laurathereader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thank you everyone for all of the great information! I appreciate it.

My local library has an ok selection of books but they are all Epub and PDF, no mobifiles. My local big city library does have an ok selection of mobifiles.

I tried using those "scary" scripts and I agree they are scary, to me at least. I could not figure it out for the life of me. I found the scripts but I could not find directions for a basic computer user, I know nothing of programing or dos or anything except how to use what is already developed for me.

I did find out how to convert the mobifiles and that is simple, but it is limiting I would love to figure out the other formats as well.

Thanks again!
Laura
Laurathereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #23
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I find getting Library books onto my Kindle easy .... now. Actually getting all the Python installed and working correctly and then figuring out where to obtain and utilize the scripts wasn't exactly a cakewalk.

I'm one of those people who own a Sony Pocket for library books. I admit it though, I like reading on my Kindle so much better that I get naughty and strip, load, read and delete. So you know, actually owning the Sony Pocket is kind of irrelevant because I could do all that with just the ADE on my computer. Besides which, my son's girlfriend keeps taking my Sony Pocket home with her. I hope somebody buys that girl her own Kindle for Christmas.

Somebody lock me up and throw away the key I guess.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote