Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
How much text can we cram onto the screen of an e-reader?

Hi and thanks for reading my post,
I am in the process of getting ready for my first e-reader and this (see Title) is an issue I find quite important yet very difficult to actually figure out. It appears to me that e-readers usually display text in quite big letters and therefore only very little text is actually displayed. I compared some on-line photos with pages of a regular books and the book page would always contain much, much more text. Especially with smaller devices like 5" or 6" ones. I find it strange because even at the lowest resolution (I think) available - 800x600 pixels one can display a lot of text on the Windows screen (w/o antialiasing or so called ClearType that is). Is my suspicion correct, pls? Is there something on-line that I could check perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any kind help!

Best regards,

PH
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Well, one advance of an e-reader over a paper book is that you can increase or decrease font size. If I select the smallest font size on my 6" reader, there is much more text on one screen than on the page of an average paper book. But I cannot imagine anyone would find this comfortable to read...
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
At present I have an average of 60 chars per line, and 31 lines per page. So about 1,860 chars per page, which I think is acceptable. This is slightly greater than the only printed book I have handy, which has 58 chars per line and 28 lines of text per page (1,596 chars).
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Just for the heck of it, I reduced my font on my 5" screen to the smallest it would go. Other than the fact that I can't read it without having my nose pressed on the screen, I get 54 lines. But, it IS readable. Maybe if I had a microscope I'd keep it there ...

When I put it back to where I like the font size, I have 18 lines on the screen. Just means I have to turn more pages.

I agree with Zetmolm, in that probably the reason you don't hear about how many lines you can get on a device is that it is purely arbitrary. I have terrible eyesight (and also have to wear bifocals). So, I make my font bigger. Someone else may have great eyesight and can make their font smaller (and so it'd be more like a paper book ... or smaller).

The best part of any ereader is the ability to make the fonts so it's more comfortable for the reader. Again, IMHO, that's why you don't hear about how many lines a particular reader can/will display.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
On my 5", I have 24 lines, and between 50 and 60 letters in a line, on the screen in a font-size I find comfortable. This is for a custom made PDF file, which also has a header and a footer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDF_-_Aangepast.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	53326  
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
I would like to thank everyone very much for replying
This was something really confusing for me and quite troublesome too and you all made it much more clear to me

Best regards

PH
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote