Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Antongarou
Antongarou began at the beginning.

Device: none
Advice on buying a first ereader

Hi all, new to this forum- I and a group of friends want to buy an ebook reader as a birthday gift and wanted to ask your advice. What it really needs to have:

1)a 6" screen

2)supports lit, pdf and html formats

3)250$ or bellow

4)a company that will ship to Israel or it is on Amazon(I have a friend in the US who will forward it)

5)easy to operate for non tech savvy person(ie normal user)

I'm currently debating between Sony PRS600, Bebook One and Kobo, but since I'm new most of the technical details in the reviews tell me very little- so various opinions about all 3 would be welcome.
Antongarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
don't think any of those do .lit they all do epub.

I have a Sony PRS600 and I would recommend to stay away from it, the screen is so hard to read. The rest of it is high class ..but you want to read books right ..well it's a real pain to read on...

I have seen and played with a Kobo ..more basic ..more plastic but appears to be a nice reader ..screen is nice and easy to read.

I have not seen a Bebook
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The BeBook One, aka Hanlin V3, aka lots of other things, does support LIT, but very badly. You're a lot better off converting LIT files to ePub with a program like Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Antongarou
Antongarou began at the beginning.

Device: none
HM, just checked and the Kobo is pretty much sold out everywhere that's relevant to me since said birthday is on July 1st. So unless someone recommends another ereader the next few days the Bebook One it is.

Thanks both of you for your input- especially about the LIT and PRS 600
Antongarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
If you are giving a gift, take a look to the Nook. It comes with a 50$ gift card.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Agreed..I like the nook. Got one for my girlfriend and she loves it.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote