Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Amazon reveals new Kindle app for iPad and other tablets

"In particular, the Kindle application from Amazon was demonstrated to a Times reporter. It features the ability to slowly turn pages with fingers, much like Apple's own iBooks software."

We all knew this was coming but here is a bit more information on reading software for the iPad. It appears they are building it to rival the iBooks app that Apple will include on every iPad.

Is this good news... certainly for Kindle owners that also want to tote an iPad from the sofa to the pool side lounge chair (assuming you can use the iPad in the sun).

via: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...pple_ipad.html

You can also learn more about it here straight from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000490441

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-22-2010 at 09:41 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's certainly good news for people outside the US, given that the "iBooks" application will (initially, at least) be US only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's certainly good news for people outside the US, given that the "iBooks" application will (initially, at least) be US only.
Is it the iBooks app or just the bookstore that will be US only? I've heard that the iBooks app will work with DRM-free epubs - will non-US iPads not be able to do that?

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
I noted that the article did not say Apple APPROVED the app. or even that they had submitted it to Apple. Here's betting that Apple will say it has "duplicate functionality" and ban it. I would REALLY like to be wrong!
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Is it the iBooks app or just the bookstore that will be US only? I've heard that the iBooks app will work with DRM-free epubs - will non-US iPads not be able to do that?

/JB
I think that's one of those things we're just going to have to wait to find out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
The ability to turn pages slowly is a funny feature to brag about - the sort of thing that you might use in a demo but would never want when actually reading. It's like having mp3 albums that make you get up and turn the record over.

I bet Apple don't ban it - why would they? Lots of people have bought Kindles, and it allows Apple to say that a Kindle is like a black and white ipad that runs only one application with a crippled interface.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
I noted that the article did not say Apple APPROVED the app. or even that they had submitted it to Apple. Here's betting that Apple will say it has "duplicate functionality" and ban it. I would REALLY like to be wrong!
There already is a Kindle app in the app store that Apple approved. But, you never knew what maniacal Steve Jobs will do.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
The ability to turn pages slowly is a funny feature to brag about - the sort of thing that you might use in a demo but would never want when actually reading. It's like having mp3 albums that make you get up and turn the record over.
well ...
It's more like having ridiculously wide margins displayed on page the user you can not change to squeeze more text on page^H^H^H^Hscreen, (you can not change the margin size on a paper book, so why should you have an opportunity to do so on an e-book reader?)
it's like having a picture of physical book displayed on the right side of screen that you can not switch off,
it's like preventing the user from installing and changing the font, or changing the justification.

The ultimate feature would be the ability to add lead weights to the back of the device depending on number of pages the original paper book had. When you are reading Atlas shrugged, you should add at least a kilogram of lead shot to give you the most authentic book feeling. Seriously. And the book should close automatically when you do not hold it in both hands.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
I bet Apple don't ban it - why would they?
Er, because that is what Apple do.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I think Amazon is doing a great job expanding the eco-system for the Kindle. Rather than think of it as a device (the Sony approach), they think of their hardware as simply one (so far the largest) path to market. If you can get Kindle for everything, Amazon realizes, then the DRM arguments don't hold as much water. I REALLY want to see competition prevail in this market (who thinks Amazon would have offered to drop to 30% without competition?) but Amazon is going to be hard to beat.

What I also want to know is how to get some of my books on that Kindle tree.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Apple does ban apps that duplicate CORE functionality such as Phone dialing. Basically any Built in App. The iBook app will be a free download. Not exactly core. I am pretty sure Apple won't ban other ebook apps, but... don't quote me on that.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
With the release of Kindle on the Mac and Kindle on the iPhone, I would think that Apple will allow the app. There has also been the news that B&N will be creating an app for the Ipad. From the standpoint of Apple they are becoming the device that you can now buy and read ebooks from their device.

I see this as a step in the right direction.
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Here's betting that Apple will say it has "duplicate functionality" and ban it...
Woah dude, is your cup ever half empty or what?? Here's betting that they won't - why would they? - and no, 'because that's what Apple do' doesn't count as an answer

Seriously, books aren't music; I don't think Apple really wants to be in the eBook business at all (probably nowhere big enough, financially) hence iBooks is an App you have to download (if you want it) and not part of the iPad's core functionality.

And as HarryT said, Kindle for iPad is great news for those of us outside of the US...

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
Apple does ban apps that duplicate CORE functionality such as Phone dialing. Basically any Built in App. The iBook app will be a free download. Not exactly core. I am pretty sure Apple won't ban other ebook apps, but... don't quote me on that.
I agree.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with extending the physical book metaphor to digital, even to the point of having animated page turning and subtle sound effects (smells? now that would be wrong...). A more sensually engaging, immersive experience should be conducive to better retention and just be more enjoyable in general. Our sensory apparatus is still analog and that's not likely to change any time soon.

OTOH, I'd like to see an RSVP (Rapid Serial Visual Presentation) e-reader the size of my iPod nano...

Last edited by tomsem; 03-22-2010 at 01:52 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote