Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
PRs-300 Background Question

So, being the picky person that I am, I have a rather intriguing question for those of you who own a PRS-300.

Warning: Those of you who are the type of person that doesn't notice a problem until it's pointed out, I recommend you stop reading here! haha.

This isn't necessarily a problem though. My eyes are kind of dumb, and today I seemed to notice that my background didn't seem was white as it did yesterday, using the same book. So, what I did was, I started to angle the PRS-300 in different ways, and I noticed that if you hold the book completely flat right in front of your eyes, so that you're actually looking into the USB port, (so the reader is facing up, not forward) and then you tilt the book slightly so that you can see it, the background of the reader is this pristine white upon which the black words look absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

If you look at the reader directly, like a book, you'll notice that the background kinda fades to a tanner looking background and the words are a tad bit less clear because they kinda mold in with the background. If I've lost you so far, thats ok, because like I said...I'm a freak.

I also noticed that the screen looks much better, as far as the background goes, when it's turned off, if that helps anyone compare. I was wondering if there was anyway to lighten the background of the reader while its displaying characters. Changing my font might help as well, but I figured there was no harm in asking. Right now I'm using Fontin, but just yesterday I thought it looked fantastic.

Has anyone else noticed/experienced any of this? Haha

Much appreciated.
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
The background on my PRS-300 is grey not white. It has been since I bought it just over a week ago. Not sure if you can make any changes to the device except to fonts and formats?
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The apparent "colour" of the background of an eInk display varies dramatically with the lighting conditions. Basically, the better the light, the "whiter" it will appear.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I've actually noticed this myself with my 300. By tilting it at a certain (but practically unreadable) angle, the background becomes a lot whiter and the text noticeably sharper. Taking HarryT's explanation into consideration though, it probably is because by tilting the Reader away, it becomes more exposed to light.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes this is a "feature" of eInk display's.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
With my limited experience with ereaders, I would say the 300 background is better than most. Like Kennyc said, everything you describe is just a "feature" of eInk display's.....the more light, the whiter it looks.... but really light effects the perception of color of just about everything.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
The display looks much better for me under the LED light in the Sony cover. However much other lights are on in the room though it looks noticeably greyer.

The room lights are yellow'ish though, and the Sony LED light is white.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Ok, this is great news to me. As long as I'm not the only one who is experiencing something like this, and there seems to be a completely valid explanation, I'm a happy man. What most likely happened was that two days ago, when I was using it, the lighting in my room was different than the day before, thus I'm experiencing something different at different times. As long as this is not a problem with the reader, I'm happy. Thanks guys ;p
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Not to alarm you, but in the interest of full disclosure. It is my understanding that there is an individual bias adjustment on every eInk screen that is adjusted and set as part of manufacturing that more or less determines the "white level." Due to this the greyness of the background can vary from screen to screen and I would think it could even change if the value of the component(s) which determine it change with time.

There is also the infamous "fading in sunlight" issue which I've personally never seen.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote