Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 04-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #31
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Spoken like a writer, who knows how to edit, and has tried marketing.

I imagine an editor, who knows how to market, and has tried writing, might list them in a different order.....
You got me....

Though I do think that the fact that marketing is about enticing others to do things instead of doing them yourself makes it very different from both writing and edting.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
You got me....

Though I do think that the fact that marketing is about enticing others to do things instead of doing them yourself makes it very different from both writing and edting.
I don't know. A good part of marketing is writing compelling and persuasive copy, reports and/or proposals. I suspect a good number of marketing types consider "writing" a critical skill.

An editor needs to attract and/or deal with clients or employers, so there is an element of marketing there.

Only a "writer" of the most artsy-fartsy strata can truly ignore all elements of editing and marketing and leave that to "the little people," so I'd say "writer" is the odd man out....and that's only a small fraction of writers....most of us have to do some editing and marketing, too.

Last edited by ApK; 04-25-2017 at 02:58 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #33
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
My two cents.

I have rarely bought an ebook for more than $12 -- very few, by authors I knew, and titles I really wanted. Even so, over all the years I've been buying ebooks, it would still probably be less than ten books.

I buy (and enjoy) quite a few "Indies" (self published authors), but I don't think I've ever paid more than $2.99 for one. I might have bought a few that listed for more than that, but only if I could get them at Kobo (Smashwords will get you there) and had a high-value coupon (that I could get to work).

Finally -- and this might be just me -- book length matters. A 600 plus page ebook represents a huge commitment of my time. For a first-time Indie author, I think long and hard before downloading anything more than 200 pages.

All that aside, the ebook audience is pretty large and very diverse. Good luck!

Last edited by cromag; 04-25-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: I type faster than I think. Had to correct an item.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:48 AM   #34
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+
As far as hiring an editor, bills make it so I am barely living within my means. Not starving, but not able to afford the services of a professional editor. Lemurion’s suggestion has really struck a cord in me. I’ve been told before that the best editors are people with fresh eyes to my work, but I never thought of changing my work to make it fresh for my eyes. It’s freaking brilliant, if that counts for anything.

As far as people asking me why I haven’t posted an ad on Writer’s Corner yet: 1. Need to figure out what I can offer as a trade for editing. This forum has proven that I’m way behind the learning-curve here tech-wise, since I’ve tried to read through other forums and have to google every other term I come across. So I’m having a hard time thinking of something to offer in return. I know in an earlier post I offered formatting, but now I’m taking that back. 2. I want to develop the skills necessary to edit my own work as much as I can first, so all an editor is doing is making suggestions, basically, not wasting their time with typos. I can’t figure out what I need to learn if I don’t know what is it I need to learn (anyone remember where that’s from in the Creative Writing curriculum?) So first I need to see how bad of a self-editor I am, then I can fill in the gaps with workshops (when I can afford them) and not be wasting my time (and money) relearning things I already know.

Also, thank you for the errors you pointed out. While you picked them out randomly, it’s still a good start.
E.M.DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:37 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please carry further conversations on this in the Writer's Forum.

Additional posts - those not of a promotional nature - will be located in the Writers' Forum.

Thank you

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e. m. dubois, part i, smashwords, the apocalypse chronicles, the savior libra