Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 12:08 AM   #16
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
Thanks. Are there types of PDFs which are not page scanned?
One easy way to tell is if Adobe Reader (or other similar program) allows you to select text the same as you could in a word processor. A non-scanned PDF will let you highlight text this way. If you used the PDF export option in MS Word for example it will create the PDF this way. Or if you scanned it with OCR (optical character recognition) would create a PDF of that type. A so called "scanned" PDF will select the whole page as if it's one big picture (which is basically is). Most of the time when people scan something into a PDF it's going to create this "picture" version of the document. This oversimplifies it a bit, but hopefully gives you the general idea.

The other big difference is a non-scanned PDF can have the text directly edited with an appropriate program. It can also be reflowed for display (again with appropriate program), whereas the scanned version can't be edited or reflowed (since it's a picture).

Last edited by robko; 04-15-2017 at 12:13 AM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:32 AM   #17
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So a non-page scanned PDF is just any PDF that was originally a document in a different file type that got converted? I guess that makes sense.

Related to this: If I wanted to scan an academic book I owned that has text graphics and photos, and I wanted to preserve the page formatting and numbering, should I output it in a PDF file, or could I possibly do it as an epub file? It would be nice to have academic books that can reflow in epub. Also, is epub the only file type that reflows?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So a non-page scanned PDF is just any PDF that was originally a document in a different file type that got converted? I guess that makes sense.
Again, that oversimplifies it a bit, but that is broadly correct.

Quote:
Related to this: If I wanted to scan an academic book I owned that has text graphics and photos, and I wanted to preserve the page formatting and numbering, should I output it in a PDF file, or could I possibly do it as an epub file? It would be nice to have academic books that can reflow in epub. Also, is epub the only file type that reflows?
An OCR'd or converted PDF is in theory reflowable. Once you start adding graphics and photos that makes reflow problematic (since they can't easily be reflowed). Epub is designed for reflow so obviously it would be the preferred format, but realistically turning an academic book into epub will be challenging (and it won't be possible to keep the page formatting and page numbering). PDF is designed to keep formatting etc the way it was originally designed which makes it less than ideal for reflow.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Again, that oversimplifies it a bit, but that is broadly correct.

An OCR'd or converted PDF is in theory reflowable. Once you start adding graphics and photos that makes reflow problematic (since they can't easily be reflowed). Epub is designed for reflow so obviously it would be the preferred format, but realistically turning an academic book into epub will be challenging (and it won't be possible to keep the page formatting and page numbering). PDF is designed to keep formatting etc the way it was originally designed which makes it less than ideal for reflow.
Couldn't page numbers be kept using a page-map for the epub (not impossible, but probably tedious)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #20
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Couldn't page numbers be kept using a page-map for the epub (not impossible, but probably tedious)?
That's possible. I really haven't delved into detailed epub creation so I have no idea.
Advert
Old 04-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some things really are just better left as PDFs. I read fiction on my Kindle Voyage, but my reference library is PDFs on my iPad. I've even bought reference books in Kindle format and converted them to PDF - it just works better for this type of book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some things really are just better left as PDFs. I read fiction on my Kindle Voyage, but my reference library is PDFs on my iPad. I've even bought reference books in Kindle format and converted them to PDF - it just works better for this type of book.
I'd agree with that. When I buy reference books from O'Reilly, I download both PDF and EPUB versions, but it's the PDF versions that I read. The EPUB aren't bad, but reflow can mess up stuff like sample code and tables. In technical books, layout can be important.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #23
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for this. Most of my library is nonfiction academic books and periodicals. So, it looks like I should get a large size tablet or e-reader then. That narrows it down for me.

Thanks again.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #24
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'd agree with that. When I buy reference books from O'Reilly, I download both PDF and EPUB versions, but it's the PDF versions that I read. The EPUB aren't bad, but reflow can mess up stuff like sample code and tables. In technical books, layout can be important.
I buy from O'Reilly too. I use both format. I like the EPUB format because I can change the font's size.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for this. Most of my library is nonfiction academic books and periodicals. So, it looks like I should get a large size tablet or e-reader then. That narrows it down for me.

Thanks again.
I'd definitely suggest a tablet or large-screen reader. I find my 9.7" iPad good for this task, and my 12.9" iPad Pro outstanding.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote