Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad
Question Getting InDesign to export pagelists to ePub3 (reflowable)

This may be a bit on the esoteric side, but I can't find anyone who can answer this for me and I was pointed in this direction....

I'd like to export from InDesign (CC) to a reflowable ePub3 file. Since I'm using the ID file to generate the print book as well, I'd like to include a page list, so that (on those apps and tablets that can handle it) the reader can see where they are relative to the print edition.

I know that there's a way to get ID to export the tagged page numbers identifying each real-world-book page as a span. I can do that to a fixed-format ebook. But not reflowable. Help!

Last edited by David Kudler; 03-18-2016 at 12:03 AM.
David Kudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
From what I could tell from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/usi...t-epub-cc.html

Quote:
NAV page-list (Fixed Layout format). InDesign generates a page-list by mapping the page number strings to the XHTML files that are generated from that page.
InDesign CC only generates a page-list for Fixed Layout EPUB3.

I suspect the only way to get it in the reflowable EPUB3 is to create the page-list by hand the old nitty gritty way... directly in the code... along these lines:

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2015...st-to-an-epub/

In the article above (August 2015), they did mention this though:

Quote:
Of course, you could also try exporting the page numbers from InDesign. While InDesign does not do this on its own yet, some ebook developers have hacked together some methods that make it possible Laura Brady explained one method during her workshop at PePcon this year.
Maybe you could contact her and see if she can give some more insight (maybe an InDesign plugin or something to automatically insert a span at the end of each page).

Also, talking about Page Numbering in EPUBs, the MobileRead Wiki covers some examples of the pageList:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/NCX#PageList

and here is the IDPF's EPUB3 page on page-list:

http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/gu...v/pagelist.php

and the ADE-only method is called a page-map:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Adob...tions#Page-map

I have no idea if the page-map is still valid in EPUB3?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-15-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Yeah, I was afraid of that. No fun with a 230-page book. :-p

Still, thanks so much for the answer(s)!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2015...tion-in-epub3/ help?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There we go! That was probably the "hackish" InDesign method that was mentioned in the article I linked to. :P
Advert
Old 03-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard

I also came across this article:

http://epubsecrets.com/page-list-all...e-doing-it.php

Seems like they are selling two tools for $50/$75 to also help automate a lot of this EPUB3 pageList generation in InDesign.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #7
David Kudler
Enthusiast

Thanks, all.

There's also this on StackOverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...esign-document

(Though I keep getting an "undefined is not an object" error. )

Tags
epub3, indesign cc, pagelist