Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Question about 'Embed metadata' tool

I have a question about the "Embed Metadata" new feature in Release 1.41:

"New tool to set metadata in the actual book files in the calibre library from the updated metadata in the calibre database. To use it go to Preferences->Toolbars and add the 'Embed metadata' tool to the main toolbar."

Doesn't "Modify ePub" also set the actual book metadata to the metadata in the calibre database? (Modify ePub -> Metadata -> Update metadata)
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
I have a question about the "Embed Metadata" new feature in Release 1.41:

"New tool to set metadata in the actual book files in the calibre library from the updated metadata in the calibre database. To use it go to Preferences->Toolbars and add the 'Embed metadata' tool to the main toolbar."

Doesn't "Modify ePub" also set the actual book metadata to the metadata in the calibre database? (Modify ePub -> Metadata -> Update metadata)
the PI you mention is a User generated PI (and it is good), but the user must Install it.

If I understand correctly, Metadata can appear in more than one place:
1 The one we see the most: The NCX
2) The Jacket (if added), though technically this is no longer direct metadata, but just a page built from Metadata.
3) Each (X)HTML file in the book also has some (and questionably current) metadata in the header block

The Modify PI only deals with 1 and 2. I believe that Polish also does 1 and 2 (Both do other things as well)

Calibre used to add/update a set of 'Modified by Calibre' type meta tags (Sigil did the same) if it touched that file contents.

If I understand your question, does the new tool touch the Infile data?
Good question... Maybe the Master will set us right.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks,

Thanks for the response.

When I first started using calibre, my Nook ST was a very "finicky eater". I had to do many 'ePub to ePub' conversions to keep it happy ... the sledgehammer approach.

When I switched to my iPad Mini and Marvin, I started using the far gentler 'Modify ePub'.

I like the "least invasive" way to get something accomplished. Yes, I was wondering if 'Embed Metadata' was even "gentler" than 'Modify ePub'.

Regards,
Marty
Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
embed metadata works for many more ebook formats than modify epub (which works only for epub). Embed metadata and modify epub both use calibre routines to set metadata and as such do the same thing in epub files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
MartyTX
Dedicated

Kovid,

Thanks for the clear and concise answer.

Marty
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can Embed Metadata embed to custom fields within a PDF - or just the standard INFORMATION fields?
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All calibre metadata can be written to and read from PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks (for all your work). What a great program you have created and developed. Better than most commercial products out there (in any area). You should be truly proud of both this accomplishment and that this is a contribution to the betterment of humanity and the world (and I say that - without reservation as to the extreme aspect of this - but "knowledge is (indeed) power" - and the power of reading for the power of knowledge is indispensable. So making organizing of your readings more and more "integrated" and "functional" has immense power and almost unlimited potential.

I am going to try out the new UNIX plug-in for full-text searching - as soon as I can get one of my machines back up and working and dedicated as an Ubuntu machine.

If that works well - it will have turned this program into a "dream" I had about two decades ago (and silly me - said - let's try and write a program to do that! Right! I spend too much time reading NON-computer programming works (to which I apply this program) than to be able to tackle such an immense task. I played with the idea for a few months (to try and "create" it) off and on - then eventually gave up (knowing I would not be able to the very readings and writing that I would be using the program for). So you have provided me with a MAJOR portion of that project - in a package far better than I could have envisioned.

That plug-in - if it works (and particularly if it can be universalized for other OSes) - will have provided the entire "dream/vision" I had - with all the other "extra" elements you and the community have come up with.

Forever grateful, Charlie
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:28 AM   #9
fermin
Enthusiast
fermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with others

Device: iOS
I only just discovered this feature - great, solves one problem I kept having in Calibre and MapleRead CE: No series metadata made it to the app. (epub file format)

Can "Embed Metadata" be triggered automatically, for example when downloading metadata after having imported new books?
fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermin View Post
Can "Embed Metadata" be triggered automatically, for example when downloading metadata after having imported new books?
Have a look at the Action Chains plugin ==>> Index of plugins

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 03:44 AM   #11
fermin
Enthusiast
fermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with othersfermin plays well with others

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have a look at the Action Chains plugin ==>> Index of plugins

BR
Thanks, I'll do that!
fermin is offline   Reply With Quote