Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
rvialet
rvialet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
New Books not displaying up on Kindle Paperwhite

I've been using Calibre on OSX for about a year without any big issues.

Until this morning, when I tried to add a couple of converting mobi books to my Kindle Paperwhite. Calibre lists them as on the device and when I look at the documents folder, the mobi files and their subsequent folders are there. But when I look for them on the kindle, they aren't displayed. I've been sending books from calibre to the kindle for a while now with no issues until today. What could it be and what are ways to troubleshoot this? Calibre is updated as well.

Last edited by rvialet; 11-23-2014 at 12:48 PM.
rvialet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sometimes, the Kindle cannot handle a book, which causes its indexer to crash and stop discovering new books. You can try doing a mobi to mobi conversion before sending the file, that often fixes it. Or convert to AZW3 and then send, you will need to experiment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
rvialet

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I've been having difficulty adding any book from Calibre now. I experimented by adding a free book directly from amazon and it worked that way. I did a mobi to .azw3 conversion on 4 books and one book successfully showed up on the display. Then the others didn't. Should I just keep reconverting? Can you convert too much? And should I completely delete the problem books from the documents folder before I attempt a re-transfer from Calibre?

It's frustrating that there isn't a straight solution to repairing the index.

I've thought about hard resetting the kindle but I've been worried that the problem would be the same and I wouldn't be able to add any of the converted books from Calibre.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should definitely delete problem books from the documents folder before sending new books. You can use calibre to delete the books if you want.

There is no benefit in doing the conversion more than once. Either a conversion fixes the problem or it does not.

And note that the indexer basically scans the files on the kindle in some fixed order so any new files that are after the problem book in that order, will not show up because the indexer stops before getting to them. If a new file is before the problem book it will show up.

The key is to identify the problem book and try reconverting it and sending it.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
rvialet

There's a very recent book that has an accidental duplicate (I changed a book's author listing because I wanted it organized a certain way) that refuses to be deleted through the Kindle and keeps losing its cover. It's a book that is probably the most recent book I added before the issues started happening. Do you think that could be the problem book? I'll try to work on deleting that one. It seems like it doesn't want to be deleted.

This is more of a Kindle than a Calibre question, but what do you think about the hard reset? I would only do that if it was a very good chance that it would fix the index problem.
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

A hard reset will fix the index problem as long as you dont send the problem book back. Or simply delete the problem book (assuming you have correctly identified it).