Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #2026
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Yes, it has to be set to UK English. For me it is not a big thing, but I know some would mind. Regarding the hack itself, it is quite useful if you don't want to use Calibre. I was just mentioning it because I am not sure everyone knows it exists (and works on PW2) at all.
And you have to jailbrake it first? At least that's what it says in Readme?
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #2027
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
And you have to jailbrake it first? At least that's what it says in Readme?
Yes, mine was jailbroken so I just installed the hack and it works. I tried the different size brackets and settled down for 16-30, which works well for me. I installed the margin .jar in the same go and this is very nice too, much more text on the page.

Those two hacks (fonts size+ margin and fonts hack) work well for me because I am a Trebuchet fan so as long as I have that font installed, I am a happy camper and do not need much more.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #2028
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you want to convert every book? How many books do you encounter in which the default font size is unreadable for you? Of the 106 books that I've read so far this year, I've felt the need to change the font size in only 1 of them. The overwhelming majority of books are absolutely fine, to my (not very good) eyes.
Answer: I would need to convert every single one for the pw2, because of the goldilocks problem (one size is a little too small, the next way too large).

You obviously find one or more of those sizes hit the sweet spot or acceptable range for you, which is great -- for you. I don't.

Btw, there should be no "default font size" in a reflowable format like ePub/Mobi. That should be set by the user agent, ie the ebook reader. If publisher A decides 8pt is a good size and publisher B decides 10pt (or heaven forbids, 12px) is a good size, whenever you switch books you will be looking at a different font size, just like with pbooks. But I like ebooks partly because I no longer have to subject myself to majority tastes and needs.

Finally, it's not trivial to set the font size in calibre, just because there is a base font size option. For one, you have to do trial and error to get the size to come out the way you want. Second, for it to work consistently the books have to be well formatted to begin with. That means no absolute sizes, and no changing font size of the main text. I've seen books that use 0.85em for main text because I guess the printed version has tiny fonts so let's do the same with the ebook. Third, if you use multiple kindle models you may need to maintain different versions. Oy.

That's why I use a hack.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #2029
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Answer: I would need to convert every single one for the pw2, because of the goldilocks problem (one size is a little too small, the next way too large).

You obviously find one or more of those sizes hit the sweet spot or acceptable range for you, which is great -- for you. I don't.
That's what I discovered, the goldilocks problem! There is no "one size fits all" solution. Hardly conducive to loading 300 books on a PW2, for a trip, for example.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #2030
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Yes, mine was jailbroken so I just installed the hack and it works. I tried the different size brackets and settled down for 16-30, which works well for me. I installed the margin .jar in the same go and this is very nice too, much more text on the page.

Those two hacks (fonts size+ margin and fonts hack) work well for me because I am a Trebuchet fan so as long as I have that font installed, I am a happy camper and do not need much more.
As soon as a user friendly hack is ready, I'll install it. Right now it seems a bit too tricky.
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #2031
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I don't understand all the problems with fonts on the Paperwhite 2013. I use Size 6 Helvetica and they look fine to me without any glasses and I have Macular Degeneration in BOTH eyes and a large cataract in one eye.

If I can read them fine, I don't see why anyone else needs jail breaks, custom fonts or any other labor intensive solutions.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #2032
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I don't understand all the problems with fonts on the Paperwhite 2013. I use Size 6 Helvetica and they look fine to me without any glasses and I have Macular Degeneration in BOTH eyes and a large cataract in one eye.
I'm not surprised you can read Helvetica 6 despite problems like that. If the book uses the default 1em base font size (which many, if not most do), I could probably read Helvetica size 6 if I was actually blind.

Quote:
If I can read them fine, I don't see why anyone else needs jail breaks, custom fonts or any other labor intensive solutions.
Because there ARE people who don't need any font above 5? For them it would be nice if the entire scale would range from 1 to 5, but then using 10 steps instead of 5. That is what hacks like these often do. Maybe it's something to consider? There's an enormous size jump between size 4 and 5, and there are a lot of people who'd actually want something like size 4.5. Also, not all fonts on the Kindle are the same size. Baskerville 4 is smaller than Palatino 4. However, Baskerville 5 is larger than Palatino 4. If you want to read using Baskerville at the same size Palatino 4 has, then you can't. A hack solves that too.

Edit: I've attached two images. The first is Caecilia Condensed 4, which I'm using now, and the second is Helvetica 6. I hope you can understand that not everybody wants or needs a font as huge as Helvetica 6. To be honest, I personally deem font sizes 7 and 8 to be useless. If you need THAT, I think it may be better to start looking into audiobooks....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCS4.png
Views:	298
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	116115   Click image for larger version

Name:	HS6.png
Views:	275
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	116116  

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-02-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #2033
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

My Prime book of the month, I have to read on Helvetica 6, because I can't change the font. It is tolerable. But once you have become used to a particular font, nothing else is as good. Just because a font is tolerable, doesn't make it acceptable, when one has options.

I would like several sizes between 6 & 7 to choose from. Better yet, replace 7 and 8. But Amazon has shown they aren't going to do that.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #2034
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
My Prime book of the month, I have to read on Helvetica 6, because I can't change the font. It is tolerable. But once you have become used to a particular font, nothing else is as good. Just because a font is tolerable, doesn't make it acceptable, when one has options.
I guess it's just that, after a lifetime of reading paper books, I don't expect books to all have the same typeface or font size, so it doesn't bother me, except in the rare cases where it's ludicrously large or small, has excessively large margins, or something of the sort. I realise, of course, that everyone has different views on these matters.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #2035
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

Seriously? Because everyone is just like you and hence we can all read on the same device, with the same font, and eat the same food, and be happy, happy happy.

One of these years you are going to realize that not everyone is you and that some people see things differently and want to do things differently then you.

There is nothing wrong with asking for choice and options. For some folks, the standard model doesn't work well it is as simple as that. Really, you would be better off if you stop thinking that this works for me so why is everyone else belly aching.

It is old and tiresome and annoying and really disrespectful of people who have different needs.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #2036
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
The ignore list is your friend... and mine.
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #2037
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The comments still pop up in quote boxes and I just get tired of dealing with the same thread. I don't get why people cannot accept that what works for them might not work for other people and just let it be. It makes no freaking sense to me. Just uggghhhhh
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #2038
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I just ordered a paperwhite 2 only to come read here and read some dissatisfaction about it! Just tell me, is the light on the screen/ screen layer thickness/color better or worse than my current situation-

Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #2039
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
I just ordered a paperwhite 2 only to come read here and read some dissatisfaction about it! Just tell me, is the light on the screen/ screen layer thickness/color better or worse than my current situation-

Better. By quite a bit.

Honestly, I love mine in spite of the Collections nuisance (which I think Amazon will eventually work out). My screen isn't a problem, neither yellow, crooked, nor with distracting pinholes, and the lighting is far and away better than any booklight/Kindle combo has ever been. But it's a very personal thing, and I'd encourage anyone to pick one up and try it for themselves.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2040
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Better, by about 1286.31%. Uh... Aproximately

If you're coming from any reader using an external reading light, *any* lighted reader will be heaven.

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote