Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #1051
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluboy View Post
knc1
Thank you for answer!

I checked Kindle with help program Flash Drive Tester and it:
http://joxi.net/9E2pndf9YBDBrY.jpg

Fatal write error!

There are no options for resurrection?
Replace the chip.

It is a ball grid array, SMD device.
You will need access to an SMD device re-work station.

Otherwise, it is spare parts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #1052
cluboy
cluboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
knc1
And you can link to the instruction or describe please more about what is it?

Thank you!
cluboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #1053
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
knc1
And you can link to the instruction or describe please more about what is it?

Thank you!
Do you have access to a web search engine in your country?

In English, with pictures:
http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...ay-package.php

IIRC, the eMMC chip is less than 200 connections, the SoC is around 500 connections.
So it takes very special equipment and skills.
It you don't recognize the name, you probably should give up on the idea of changing it.

You now have a used display screen for sale (K4 models often crack their screens).
Be careful with the taking it apart, the K4 is the model that is glued together.
If not careful, you will break the screen trying to remove the glued on battery.

Translation: It is junk now.

Last edited by knc1; 04-27-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #1054
cluboy

knc1
Thank you very much for your response!

Only one thing, why it is necessary to change this, and not the memory itself (drive) - after all, is there a problem in it or am I wrong?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #1055
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
knc1
Thank you very much for your response!

Only one thing, why it is necessary to change this, and not the memory itself (drive) - after all, is there a problem in it or am I wrong?
That is the memory (the drive, not the RAM memory) itself.

Refer to our Master Index to find a tear down guide for your K4.
The pictures may help.
Advert
Old 04-28-2017, 03:05 AM   #1056
cluboy

knc1
Ok!
I have lat question, replacing memory, and the operating system? Or is it in another memory?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #1057
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
knc1
Ok!
I have lat question, replacing memory, and the operating system? Or is it in another memory?
No.
On devices newer than the ones that use 2.x series firmware, everything is in one device.

You really, really need to write down your model's serial number, board ID, and network address before you take the old chip out.
Those things are stored outside of the file system.

= = = =

Keep in mind that just one hour of a technician's time who knows what they are doing costs more than a brand new, Kindle Basic.
(And tech's often charge a 2 or 4 hour minimum.)

Throw it away.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #1058
cluboy

knc1
I correctly understood you, you can not replace the chip, you need to change the whole motherboard?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #1059
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
knc1
I correctly understood you, you can not replace the chip, you need to change the whole motherboard?
You really need to give up any plans of repairing this device, throw it away.

It is much easier to change the motherboard.
If you can get it apart without damaging anything. The K4 is glued together, not intended to be repairable.

Be sure to keep the device identification from the old one, you will need to update the replacement board.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #1060
mjbarbee516
mjbarbee516 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - Keyboard
So... If I cannot get my K3 (B008) into "USB downloader mode", it's permanently bricked.
Unless someone knows a tip or trick.
mjbarbee516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #1061
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbarbee516 View Post
So... If I cannot get my K3 (B008) into "USB downloader mode", it's permanently bricked.
Unless someone knows a tip or trick.
The discussion is about the K4 not about the K3.

The K3 has an externally accessible serial port (like all of the earlier than the k3 device models did).
There is a tremendous amount written here about de-bricking the K3.

Did you try reading the sticky post: "Where Do I Start"?
Not the whole thread, just the first post.

Last edited by knc1; 04-29-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #1062
mjbarbee516

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The discussion is about the K4 not about the K3.
I'm sorry, I thought I was in the thread for the Kubrick program that covered my K3 also.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:38 AM   #1063
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbarbee516 View Post
I'm sorry, I thought I was in the thread for the Kubrick program that covered my K3 also.
You did not supply any context to your question other than seeming to be referring to the most recent discussion of fixing a K4.

- - - -

Same answer:
A bricked K3 situation is not the same as a bricked K4

Unless you can give some other context for your question.
No one here can channel into your mind, you must write what you have in your mind.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #1064
mjbarbee516

About 6m ago, my K3 B006 locked up. I restarted it & it was okay for few days, but then it restarted itself to black. I restarted it again and it got stuck in a loop for hours, bring up the tree with the boy. I kept it on the charger (except when restarting it) The charging light stays on for 12-15 secs then goes out.
This went on for a week until the screen went black for a few hours and I gave up and let it sit.
Early last month, I went to sell it for parts but the screen had changed. I had the tree back. I charged up the battery and tried restarting it a few times. After a few days, got it back for a month before restart loop came back. While it was functioning, the battery charged fine.
Now it's back in restart loop. The charging light comes on for 12-15 secs. My PC does not see it. Sometimes I get the tree, sometimes I get a white or all black screen. It was half & half for a good 6 hours the other day.

I live with an electronics tech. Visual examination of the guts show no bad parts, runs, detached cables, etc. No schematic or o-scope for deeper probe.

We haven't tried a serial connection yet because I can't print the .brd file from that thread.

The battery in the K3 B006 operated a K3 B008 without issue.

Kubrick does not see it after attempting to access USB mode via CD boot and USB connection.
So... If I cannot get my K3 (B006) into "USB downloader mode", it's permanently bricked.
Unless someone knows a tip or trick to try before manufacturing a serial port cable.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #1065
knc1
Going Viral

Your first idea was a good one, sell it for parts.
Everything except the motherboard can be re-used.