Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #241
gatesofbabylon
gatesofbabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (Waterstones)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Cross-posting is considered bad form here.
The USBnetworking you installed, see other answer.
OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll keep my questions in this one.

Thought it would be easier than this but I'm part way there, I don't want to give up on this now. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with SSH but game to give it a go. Downloaded a SSH client called RBrowser for Mac OSX.

I've tried investigating file directories in the Kindle within the SSH client but I don't see anything I can't already see within Finder app.

Would you mind giving me further instructions to this? Really appreciate your help here, if you can give it.
gatesofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #242
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your on Mac OSx then?
(I couldn't very well tell from your post that you are on Mac OSx - hence the extra work for us both.)

What you downloaded is a graphical client that might come in useful later - for more advanced things that what is needed at the moment.

If your on Mac OSx (a BSD based OS) you should already have, as part of the standard system install, the ssh client of OpenSSH (a BSD based program).

Just open a terminal window and give it a try.
Expect something like this:
Code:
core2quad ~ $ ssh
usage: ssh [-1246AaCfgKkMNnqsTtVvXxYy] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec]
           [-D [bind_address:]port] [-e escape_char] [-F configfile]
           [-I pkcs11] [-i identity_file]
           [-L [bind_address:]port:host:hostport]
           [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-O ctl_cmd] [-o option] [-p port]
           [-R [bind_address:]port:host:hostport] [-S ctl_path]
           [-W host:port] [-w local_tun[:remote_tun]]
           [user@]hostname [command]
Note: "mac_spec" refers to the MAC address of the nic, not something about your machine.

I think that Mac OSx (like every other full *nix in the world) has the man(ual) documents installed.
Now try:
man ssh

Last edited by knc1; 12-29-2012 at 01:24 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #243
gatesofbabylon
gatesofbabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (Waterstones)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your on Mac OSx then?

What you downloaded is a graphical client that might come in useful later - for more advanced things that what is needed at the moment.

If your on Mac OSx (a BSD based OS) you should already have, as part of the standard system install, the ssh client of OpenSSH (a BSD based program).

Just open a terminal window and give it a try.
Expect something like this:
Code:
core2quad ~ $ ssh
usage: ssh [-1246AaCfgKkMNnqsTtVvXxYy] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec]
           [-D [bind_address:]port] [-e escape_char] [-F configfile]
           [-I pkcs11] [-i identity_file]
           [-L [bind_address:]port:host:hostport]
           [-R [bind_address:]port:host:hostport] [-S ctl_path]
           [-W host:port] [-w local_tun[:remote_tun]]
           [user@]hostname [command]
Note: "mac_spec" refers to the MAC address of the nic, not something about your machine.

I think that Mac OSx (like every other full *nix in the world) has the man(ual) documents installed.
Now try:
man ssh
Hi knc1

Thanks very much for this. I just hit man ssh and got the same or similar result to you:

SSH(1) BSD General Commands Manual SSH(1)

NAME
ssh -- OpenSSH SSH client (remote login program)

SYNOPSIS
ssh [-1246AaCfgKkMNnqsTtVvXxYy] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec]
[-D [bind_address:]port] [-e escape_char] [-F configfile] [-I pkcs11]
[-i identity_file] [-L [bind_address:]port:host:hostport]
[-R [bind_address:]port:host:hostport] [-S ctl_path] [-W hostort]
[-w local_tun[:remote_tun]] [user@]hostname [command]

DESCRIPTION
ssh (SSH client) is a program for logging into a remote machine and for
executing commands on a remote machine. It is intended to replace rlogin
and rsh, and provide secure encrypted communications between two
untrusted hosts over an insecure network. X11 connections and arbitrary
TCP ports can also be forwarded over the secure channel.

ssh connects and logs into the specified hostname (with optional user
name). The user must prove his/her identity to the remote machine using
:

What do I do next?
gatesofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #244
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now read the directions on the USBnetworking package.
Top post of the thread and any included README file.

What you will need to do is assign an IP address to each end of the USB cable.
The readme will tell you about the Kindle end of the cable -
Whatever Mac OSx uses to setup networking addresses will tell you what to do at that end.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #245
knc1
Going Viral

Join us on the MR chat system, twobob and I can probably walk you through what you have to do:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/IRC

Also check your other thread for twobob's Mac OSx info.
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #246
balric
balric began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 and kindle 5
I have tried numerous things to get current book cover as a screensaver, but just cant get it too work. Before I spend anymore time trying, can this be done for multiple books or do I have to send a cover from Calibre every time I read a new book. I have a few hundred on my device.

Kindle Paperwhite.
balric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #247
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by balric View Post
I have tried numerous things to get current book cover as a screensaver, but just cant get it too work. Before I spend anymore time trying, can this be done for multiple books or do I have to send a cover from Calibre every time I read a new book. I have a few hundred on my device.

Kindle Paperwhite.
No this screensaver hack is what you want. In the first post of this thread: Read the spoiler under installation on how to use this to show the cover of last opened book as screensaver. Remember that you need a Paperwhite that has no special offers. No jailbreak or hack you find here is ever going to circumvent Amazon's ads. The one and only way is to pay Amazon to get it removed.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #248
Paxo57
Paxo57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, first time I've done this, have installed the screensaver hack, but can not find the original wallpapers, are they not visible now? is there any way to get at them? do they come back if I reset ?
Thanks

Paperwhite
Paxo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #249
Paxo57

Follow up to my previous post, I have copied across 11 images which come up fine as wallpaper, but when they have been viewed, all I get is the last screen that I have viewd, how do I make just the new images cycle?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #250
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxo57 View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, first time I've done this, have installed the screensaver hack, but can not find the original wallpapers, are they not visible now? is there any way to get at them? do they come back if I reset ?
Thanks

Paperwhite
The original screensaver images are not visible. At least not in the part of the filesystem that is in the usb-diskdrive part. The correct way to uninstall the screensaver hack is by running the update_*_uninstall.bin update. That should restore the device back to what it was before. Try it out, and see if you are curious. After you can just install it again.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #251
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxo57 View Post
Follow up to my previous post, I have copied across 11 images which come up fine as wallpaper, but when they have been viewed, all I get is the last screen that I have viewd, how do I make just the new images cycle?
You created a file "last" in the linkss folder so instead of a picture you see the last screen viewed? If you did, you need to delete that file so it displays your images again. Otherwise I don't understand what you mean by last screen you viewed.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #252
balric
balric began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 and kindle 5
Thank you for your swift response "DuckieTigger" I already had the python and the linkss bins installed and had axx to the linkss folder, Ive just read all 17 pages of this thread :S.
And Ive just uninstalled, deleted linkss folder and reinstalled. Checked the hacked ss loaded on sleep. restarted kindle loaded a book and navigated a few pages in. waited a minute. put to sleep and default screensavers . Forgot to mention I created a file Called covers in linkss folder, after the checked hacked ss part.

I see a change time option in settings but how do I change date ?
balric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #253
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by balric View Post
Thank you for your swift response "DuckieTigger" I already had the python and the linkss bins installed and had axx to the linkss folder, Ive just read all 17 pages of this thread :S.
And Ive just uninstalled, deleted linkss folder and reinstalled. Checked the hacked ss loaded on sleep. restarted kindle loaded a book and navigated a few pages in. waited a minute. put to sleep and default screensavers . Forgot to mention I created a file Called covers in linkss folder, after the checked hacked ss part.

I see a change time option in settings but how do I change date ?
The blank file you need to create is cover without the s in the end. Then unfortunately you need to restart again for it to work. As for the date, you don't set the date. It gets the date from some magic when you turn wifi on. (I don't know how, but it works). So all you need to set is the time.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #254
knc1
Going Viral

It calls home, and takes the date from the headers of a special reply html page.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #255
Paxo57

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't create a file called last, I meant it is now showing the last page I was reading before it went into sleep mode

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch