Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #46
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by initx View Post
I own a Hanlin V3 e-reader now for 3 years. It is quite a solid product. The family uses it daily, we haver read dozens of books on it, and we did not have any problems at all. The build quality is excellent. I also tried an Onyx device in a shop, and it also has an excellent quality.

Btw. I have never ever seen any e-reader (I mean a REAL e-reader with e-ink screen) with an Android OS. I am afraid you must not have any personal experiences with e-readers at all.
Experience with e-readers - more than most users.
I like your definition of REAL.
A couple of color E-Readers(TFT) are marketed as EReaders.
Already the Nook classic had Android(1.4).
Most of the others can be modified.
Ectaco/Hanvon uses Windows.
And there seems to be a trend towards Android.
But I don't want to distrub your dream ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #47
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Where?

Apart from the Nook, only Sony PRS-T1 does Android. Entourage Edge and Alex E-reader are both(!) EOLed.

So where is that trend?
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #48
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
Where?

Apart from the Nook, only Sony PRS-T1 does Android. Entourage Edge and Alex E-reader are both(!) EOLed.

So where is that trend?
I do not support his affirmation that there is a trend toward Android although I wish it would be.
Yo u have to admit that Sony and Nook are two of the best alive (I own Nook and I have played with Sony) . Entourage is also very good ...(I have own a Pocket too) ...the fact that they went out of the business shouldn't be relevant here, in my opinion Entourage was one of the best when came out on the market. The only problem was that it wanted to achieve too much from the beginning....
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #49
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Already the Nook classic had Android(1.4).
Most of the others can be modified.
You are right. M92 can be modified to run Android. So, what is the problem?

At present, there are 2 or 3 e-ink e-readers with Android and let say 100 different ones with other OS. I woudn't call it trend, but OK. I agree, it might be better to have Android on M92, but some kind of Linux is just OK.

Again. If having Android on your e-reader is your need, then port Android to hardware of your choice. Or buy what's on market or wait.

You do not trust M92 hardware because it was designed in China (And are you sure, the design was not outsourced to somewhere else?). It is your right and than I do not understand, why you are wasting your time in M92 threads. ;-)

After 3 weeks of daily use for several hours a day, I see no hardware problems, so far. No a single freezing. The make seems very solid and I also like the look of device and small size (comparing to other 9.7" e-ink readers).

So, I see firwarewise quite a big space for improvements, but for my needs it is just fine as it is now out of the box.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #50
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I do not understand why are you blowing the problem up? Do not make a mountain out of a molehill!
First of all - just to find a "dead" pixel (one of 990.000) you have to use special checks. By normal using it is really quite impossible to find it.
Currently I have to replace only 1 of 100 sold devices (because of this "problem").
It is indeed absolutely the same High Contrast E Ink Pearl Screen that Amazon uses by Kindle DX - there is no selection like good screens for amazons, bad screens for others. I guess there was no one who decided to test his DX for "dead" pixels. Most people are just reading on their ereaders and not investigating аt what to carp.
Secondly - if someone is really worried about this problem, you can write a short message by ordering (in the registration form) and I will check the screen for such a problem before sending the device
Thanks Booxtor,
I'll definitely ask you to check the screen when I order my BLACK one
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #51
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
I would like to say Thank You to Booxtor and ereader-store.de!

The Contact is very friendly, cooperative and helfpul!

Today I received my new Boox M92 and it's wonderful!

medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #52
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
I would like to say Thank You to Booxtor and ereader-store.de!

The Contact is very friendly, cooperative and helfpul!

Today I received my new Boox M92 and it's wonderful!

Could you please post a bit more info on your experience?
Let's say in this thread - Onyx Boox M92 sample has arrived. First imression - I love it!

For me the most important thing is notes, scribbles, highlighting...

Thank you, medvedev
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #53
dkef
Enthusiast
dkef began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I have tested my M92 and I do not see any bad pixels.
How is this test done? On LCD monitors I usually use solid white, black, red, green and blue screens, which are easy to produce on a computer. How does one test the screen of a Boox M92?
dkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #54
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkef View Post
How is this test done? On LCD monitors I usually use solid white, black, red, green and blue screens, which are easy to produce on a computer. How does one test the screen of a Boox M92?
The best pattern seems to be a 1-pixel checker. Somebody created two files of the right size some time ago.

Note that an isolated bad pixel or two are hardly noticeable and virtually impossible to spot in normal use, while on an LCD I usually notice at the first look.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote