Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Work around for Calibre

Reading some postings in another thread states that Calibre doesn't recognize the Vox as an external USB drive. So I got to thinking. I uploaded some EPUB files using Calibre into an SD Micro card loaded into my Kobo Touch.

Once the Kobo Touch finished the processing I popped the SD card into the Vox, got into the library and found an import button. Which happily imported the books.

(Side note, I'd like to sort my books by author but haven't figured that out. Not a big deal as if it's not there now I'm sure it will be soon.)

I also recall reading that you can, somehow, copy your Epub files onto a micro SD card directly from a PC and then the Kobo will recognize those. But I don't recall the details if they had to be in a folder or the root of the micro SD card was good enough.

Anyhow this opens up some relatively easy methods of importing books. Not quite as simple as the Touch but not onerous either.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Calibre has an option to "save to disk" an ebook to any location. Since you can mount the Vox as a mass storage device you should be able to "save to disk".

You just have to tell it the correct location/folder to save the books too. A "bit" more work than pressing "Device" send button, but not by much.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I'm transferring wirelessly by setting up Calibre as a catalogue in Aldiko and using the Calibre server. Name the catalogue whatever you want (I always use Calibre) and then enter the catalogue url.
Use this format: http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:80xx/stanza
xxx.xxx.x.xxx is your IP address (I got a little app through SlideMe appstore called "IP Book" that tells me what my current IP in use is)
80xx is for the port Calibre uses (usually 8080), you can check that in the Calibre preferences in the Sharing over the Net menu.
My last 3 digits of the IP change regularly so each time I set up a new "catalogue" I am leaving the old one there to re-use later.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-02-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
PS: using Calibre wirelessly in Aldiko gives you a number of ways to choose your books including Newest, by Author, by Title, by Publisher, by Rating, series or tags...It also allows you to see the book's metadata before you decide to download with cover art and product description. It also allows you to find and read your books from any source not just Kobo. Yes, I could find the book on my SD card once I've copied to it from the computer but the beauty of the Calibre server is that everything is organized and browseable! From anywhere you have wireless! Love it!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-02-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
some1else
Enthusiast
some1else began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPhone 4, Kindle 3G
I wasn't so lucky. My new Vox won't import books off the micro SD card, keep getting "something went wrong" message. I can't drag and drop books from Adobe Digital Editions or Calibre because my computer does not recognize the ereader (but the Vox recognizes being connected to the computer) I emailed Kobo Help and it has been greater than 48 hours and no reply.
some1else is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
I've used the micro SD card without a problem but here's what's really worked well for me. I have a Netgear WNDR3400 router with a USB port. I use calibre to access any book I wish to read and "Save To Disk" on a 4Gb USB drive plugged into the router. Then I use the Vox to access this drive and import the books. The whole process takes about 2 minutes and I avoid having to fool with that damn micro SD.

By the way, has anyone found a video player (that actually works) for the Vox? Gallery is pretty feeble.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote