Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Problem with forum fonts

Am I the only with this problem?

Although everything was fine yesterday, today the forum's font look like crap - and I doubt it comes from my browser (firefox) as every other opened website is fine.

I haven't found any setting for the fonts in the forum's control so I assume I didn't do anything stupid on my end.

Last edited by Trenien; 10-16-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
It looks the same to me. Did any extensions update that might be causing it? You might try forcing a reload of the style sheet (hold shift while clicking refresh).
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I also use Firefox and the fonts here look fine. They default to a sans-serif. I had a problem like that once but I forget what I did to get rid of it other than a reboot.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All OK here too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Well, after a reboot, still the same problem.

It's really weird, nowhere else do I have this issue. As a matter of fact, I have about ten other tabs opened right now, and only the mobileread forum looks bad.

Advert
Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Also using firefox with multiple tabs and all looks good this end.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
Well, after a reboot, still the same problem.

It's really weird, nowhere else do I have this issue. As a matter of fact, I have about ten other tabs opened right now, and only the mobileread forum looks bad.

Trenien, could you post a screenshot?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
Trenien
Groupie

Sure, here you go.

As you can see, no anti-aliasing at all (although it doesn't hurt the eyes so much on non bold characters)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MobileCapture.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	6385  
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Is it possible that you have a wonky font file? The CSS calls for:
Quote:
verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
I don't know what platform you're on or what fonts you have installed, but that could be a place to start.

Have you tried increasing/decreasing the font size (ctrl-+/ctrl--) to see if it makes any difference? (Not a fix, but maybe a clue)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried say MSIE (if you run Windows) or another browser on the same computer?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #11
Trenien
Groupie

I haven't tried MSIE, I'm under linux.

Trying the site with either epipany (another gecko based browser) or konqueror (completely different engine) I get the exact same result: the problem only appears with the mobileread forum.

Has anything changed with the forum (or its server) within the last couple of days?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
I haven't tried MSIE, I'm under linux.

Trying the site with either epipany (another gecko based browser) or konqueror (completely different engine) I get the exact same result: the problem only appears with the mobileread forum.

Has anything changed with the forum (or its server) within the last couple of days?
Nothing has been changed except for a kernel upgrade in at least the past 30 days.

Unfortunately, I removed Xorg recently because I need my Linux machines only for server services. So I cannot try it out myself. But I'd figure if it was a general problem with Linux browsers, we'd have heard a lot of more complaints.

Jason had a very good suggestion. Did you check your installed fonts? Perhaps the other sites you checked ask for different fonts in the CSS and that those are OK on your system.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
Trenien
Groupie

Ok, that make sense. I did upgrade my system a few days ago (although I could swear I came to mobileread forum with no problem a few times since that).

I'll check it. What is(are) the font(s) the site needs, or alternatively where can I check it up.

Even better, is there any way for me to set my account with other fonts to use here?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
jasonkchapman
Guru

Is it Ubuntu by any chance? If so, there's something else to check. There was a bug with the Ubuntu package of Firefox at one point (working from a vague memory, here, because I don't use Ubuntu). Something in the FF installation affected KDE's settings for font smoothing or something.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Trenien
Groupie

Ah, no. I use Mandriva (hence the recent update)