Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #46
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
1 - it seems to be a hardware defect. lots of units have it and i wonder if they all do and some people just aren't able to tell.

2 - you'd have to root it first to be able to modify system apps - check xda for tutorials

3 - tegra 2 is limited to main profile for 720p and above and with an mp4 container. it seems it can't handle the mkv well. with 3.1 there's better support for high profile hd files. you just need to convert and re-encode the audio to aac (most mkv's i've seen are ac3). also tutorials on xda or you can just search the web for general instructions on converting. converting from mkv to mp4 only takes a few minutes rather than hours if you re-encode since you're only re-encoding the audio.

i'm going for tf #3. i'm hoping this one will be a keeper. it'll be here next tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsys View Post
1. It does seem the right speaker is louder than left, as aforementioned. For awhile I was worried it was a mono-output device. Not a huge deal, but I wonder what the cause is.
2. I'd like to "decrapify" it and disable the Asus preinstalled widgets in favor of my own, but I've not found a tutorial as to how to do so safely and completely.
3. The biggest issue I've found to date - Video Playback. I've tried a handful of video players and nearly all of them are choppy on a typical 720p HDTV mkv format rip. Now, this thing plays Vendetta Online and Dungeon Defenders, some higher end 3d graphical offerings, without any trouble. The thing is advertised to play 1080p video (via HDMI out), so I figured simple 720p on the screen wouldn't be an issue. If I can't find a solution, its going back.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #47
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
just saw this review, these are the former "meat and potatoes" of Engadget until they all left.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/12/a...-tf101-review/

She did a pretty nice job with this review.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #48
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Add me to the list of very happy customers with the Transformer plus dock and no problems.

The video problems (720p imbedded mentioned above) were a HoneyComb issue that Xoom also had before its 3.1 update. That update hit yesterday for the Transformer, so it should be much better now. Not perfect yet, but much better. I have no lightbleed, no creaking, and no separation. The touch screen is plenty responsive on mine. Speaks sound well balanced to me.

SD/mSD card support is still shaky, but that is a HoneyComb issue not hardware, and should be fixed in a future patch.

I love the dock, its on my tablet almost permanently now. I use a Nook Color (running CM7) for reading though as I find the TF to be an awkward size in bed.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #49
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well, you can add me to the list, I just ordered a TF101-B1 from Newegg. They are
sold out of the keyboard/dock.

Is the "-B1" an updated hardware run, or are they all like that?

Perhaps the new stock of the keyboard/dock will include any needed fixes, once Newegg
puts them back up.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #50
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Well, you can add me to the list, I just ordered a TF101-B1 from Newegg. They are
sold out of the keyboard/dock.

Is the "-B1" an updated hardware run, or are they all like that?

Perhaps the new stock of the keyboard/dock will include any needed fixes, once Newegg
puts them back up.

Luck;
Ken
The "-B1" is the 32GB model vs the "-A1" which is 16GB. It will also take a microSD card, which will appear as external (Removable) memory, so even the stock models can be greatly expanded afterward (unlike some other Pads).

There is an update to Honeycomb v3.1 already out from ASUS, and they do periodically (so far) send out updates to fix software issues with the device.

I'm most pleased with it!!!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #51
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
1 - it seems to be a hardware defect. lots of units have it and i wonder if they all do and some people just aren't able to tell.
I think it is no where near as bad as it seems. There is a significant number of people reporting a problem (though extent is from extremely minor to out of control bad) , but if you had no problem, you are not likely to hop on the internet and tell everyone you dont have a problem. So problems are always disportionaly greater reported, often by a factor of 10 or more.

Mine has none, and I have seen plenty of people report the same thing. My SUSPICION is that Asus is rushing hard to keep up with demand and is cutting back on the QC to pull it off. I WONDER if they are thinking its better to get one on your hands and replace it , then have you go to a store and not get one. I really do not know. The only fact I know for sure is mine has no light bleed. The one "build" issue I have with it is the sharp edges.

It is the best tablet I have seen/used with out question. The IPS display is wonderful, and the dock wraps up the package nicely.

I hope you win the lucky draw with your third one!!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #52
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm glad all of you like your TFs. Mine is used constantly and it's one of my happier tech purchases.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Ordered one yesterday from Amazon, can't wait for it to arrive.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #54
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I was going to buy one for my niece's graduation present. But because I couldn't find any I am a stock I bought her a laptop. I later mentioned to her that I really wanted to buy her a tablet/laptop like a transformer.
Oddly she told me she was glad with the purchase and glad I did not buy a tablet.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #55
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I also ordered one from Amazon. I had almost decided that I would buy a 7 incher because I will be moving to another country shortly and I don't know what my life will be like then. I thought a 7 incher would be more versatile, as I could easily take it with me when needed. But I like this Transformer better (at least on paper).

I don't expect to get a dock. I like my netbook, so I am not looking for a netbook replacement. Besides, for my job I use a couple programs that only run on Windows, so I can't replace my netbook with an Android tablet.

For those of you who don't have the dock, what case or stand do you use? An Amazon reviewer said that the Transformer is roughly the same size as the Kindle DX, so he is using a Acase Vintage Acme Brown Genuine Leather Case with LED light. (Reviews are mixed and some people mention a rather annoying smell.) I don't like the Asus stand, so I don't know what to get right now.

By the way, I was quite disappointed to learn that Google Docs doesn't work on the browser. Come on, a Google product on a Google OS and it doesn't work? What a bummer.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #56
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
got my new one. speaker issue is still there. headphones work fine so it's def hardware issue. the body seems rigid, but so did the one that started to come apart when i first got it. light bleed is... not worse, but different - it's brighter in different spots that the other 2. but since i've chosen to not use this as an ebook reader it's not too much of a problem.

gonna test the sound quality out later. i don't have any music on it yet and i'm still at work. the other 2 were kinda tinny (even through external speakers) compared to the xoom. they were also not as loud. i've heard that 3.1 update kills the sound even more for some.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #57
VydorScope
Wizard

Google Doc's does work on the TF in the browser, I just tried it. There is also a Google Docs App you can install from Google.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #58
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, mine is already here. Trying the onscreen keyboard right now. So far I like it a lot. Too bad I have so much work right now.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #59
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Well, mine is already here. Trying the onscreen keyboard right now. So far I like it a lot. Too bad I have so much work right now.

I suggest you hop on the market and get "Tablet Keyboard" its a free split keyboard that makes it much easier to type while you hold the transformer.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #60
Andanzas
Out of print

Thanks for the suggestion. This is my first time using Android, so all tips are welcome. I like that keyboard. It may take some time getting used to it, but it really helps when typing and holding the tablet at the same time.

I am still working, so I only played with it for a few minutes. A little bit worried because I had to force close a couple apps. I hope that doesn't mean it's unstable. It already came with the 3.01 update installed.

By the way, I noticed that my Transformer has two circles on the upper bezel. One is the camera, but I don't know what the other is. I don't remember seeing it on pictures of the TF.

(Sorry for the low quality. Took the pic with my netbook webcam.)

Last edited by Andanzas; 06-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Tags
android, asus transformer, honeycomb