Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #16
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
True!

And is a shame. Even though I don't like Apple closed eco-system, iPad is and was a good concept. They basically pushed tablets in the market and probably the reason why we can enjoy so many tablet's options today.

The problem is, in my opinion, that Android is growing and getting stronger and Apple does not like that. Android market is getting a lot of traction now and without too many obstacles, developers can write more and better apps for all the oncoming tablet users.
Yeah, bummer. I really liked my iDevices, though I run only Windows netbooks and laptops. When it comes to tech, I have no loyalty. I'll buy what's best for my needs.

I'm waiting to see what Android tablets emerge in the next six months or so. I'm also keen to see the debut of Amazon's Android apps market. I like that Amazon will screen and test apps before selling 'em. The current Android apps market is too Wild West for my liking.

There also were rumors some time ago that Amazon might sell its own Android tablet, but I've not heard anything since.

OT: Does anyone know any good sites to compare iOS apps vs. Android apps. I ask because I wanna start seeing how many of my iOS apps are available on Android.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If money is not an issue, I will certainly buy a device which is officially supported by the manufacturer.
It's more than that. The Nook Color satisfies my needs in a tablet. I would be foolish to spend twice as much money to get features I don't need.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's more than that. The Nook Color satisfies my needs in a tablet. I would be foolish to spend twice as much money to get features I don't need.
I would say that's more a personal choice than anything else.

I can't argue with you if the NC fits your bill or not, but what are "extra features" for you are certainly not for others. And with the money that you pay, you get much more, of course. GT is not a toy, is not an e-reader, is a tablet. You get what you pay for.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... I thought that Android 3.0 was to be the first made for tablets version of the
OS? "Honeycomb", I think it was? Is the 2.2 basically a phone OS like all the other
Android versions?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I would say that's more a personal choice than anything else.
All buying decisions are.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #21
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Archos do some good Android Tablets at 10" and 7" - got a 7" model in HK for less than £120. Marketplace, wi-fi and a bloody good screen
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... I thought that Android 3.0 was to be the first made for tablets version of the
OS? "Honeycomb", I think it was? Is the 2.2 basically a phone OS like all the other
Android versions?

Luck;
Ken
Pretty much.
But it works well enough if the phone apps are stripped and replaced with tablet-grade android apps. A lot of Android apps are designed with resolutions of 600x800 in mind so they run fine on tablet sized gadgets. Especially the 7in-class devices.

I have an Android 2.0 Pocketbook IQ. Unrooted. US $150. 7in 4x3 screen. Resistive touchscreen.
No Market access without a firmware repack-hack that adds it. But there is no need to hack it to install arbitrary apps like on the Nooks.
The main restriction of Android 2.x is no Android Market access but there *are* third-party Markets available. I'm looking forward to Amazon's entry. Plus a lot of Apps are available for web download.

It runs Kindle, Overdrive, Audible, Aldiko, Coolreader, Fbreader, Kobo, eReader, Repligo, Adobe Reader, plus the work-in-progress PB Reader, Library and Dictionaries Apps. No Stanza, alas. Nook installs but doesn't run. An update to Android 2.2 is promised but overdue. If it materializes then the Sony app might be an option but since the reviews on it at lukewarm at best I doubt I'd bother with it. Nook? Maybe.

In real world use I've been doing my reading in Kindle, Overdrive, and Coolreader (two column landscape modre is useful sometimes).

For browsing the Dolphin HD browser offers up a Flash-capable desktop-equivalent browsing experience (minus Flash video only). The Skyfire Browser App adds Full-desktop Flash support but its a tad slower.

Its a pretty good "Hardcover" ebook reader/webpad, lacking only LIT support to be a universal color reader. Not the greatest video player (limited to SD content) but you do have apps for pandora and Last.FM which can run in the background while reading.

There are a couple of decent Office-wannabe apps but I'm waiting on the incoming SoftMaker Office. Due Real-Soon-Now. From my experience on WinCE and PPC it should be killer.

All-in-all, a pretty good gadget at a pretty good price; the OS itself is lacking when compared to even decade-old Windows CE but the third-party apps are state of the art and the thing is stable. Basically a lean and mean computing experience.

There is actually some concern that in tarting up Android for Tablets, Google might bloating it up and moving the hardware costs out of desirability. The Xoom coming in at US$700+ does nothing to dispel those concerns.

Its an interesting product category; it might be a fad, it might not.
It really is something of a kludge--putting a phone OS on a webpad--but it works.
Because of the Apps.
It can be *very* useful if you know your needs and understand its limitations. Especially on the lower-end models at NookColor-and-under pricing.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-09-2011 at 07:30 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have a no contract Galaxy Tab and it is a great little reader. Mostly I use Aldiko to read but also have the Kindle app. Aldiko can read ePub with ADE DRM so between that and the Kindle app I'm covered for DRM. Email is a breeze, web surfing is very good especially with wifi. I can also watch video, play games, take still pictures, Skype and use many thousand Android apps.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #24
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Do people use the cameras much on tablets? I use my phone camera a lot, but I see very limited uses for a camera in a tablet. For video chatting? What else? I'm genuinely curious, because I want to evaluate the value of possibly paying for a camera as part of a tablet.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Do people use the cameras much on tablets? I use my phone camera a lot, but I see very limited uses for a camera in a tablet. For video chatting? What else? I'm genuinely curious, because I want to evaluate the value of possibly paying for a camera as part of a tablet.
The rear face camera is a nice extra feature, does not hurt in my opinion if you have it. You can take pictures of your room or surroundings and send that to your boss in case you work on the road; good examples are Realtors, Insurance estimators or even Doctors.

The front face or screen camera is of course good if you are doing face to face meetings or conference. That one has less resolution and does not need flash. If you are out traveling and away from family, you can also use it and chat with wife or kids ;-) ...

You will start seeing more and more cameras in today's gadget because is an important tool to share multimedia: take videos, pictures, etc. Even Apple, based on what I read recently, started to realize that and rumors are that a rear face camera will be included on new iPad release.

Now, having said that and even when they are a nice feature or extra, they do not replace professional cameras. If you are a serious photographer or you are web graphic designer, you should rely on a dedicated camera instead. Much more options and control over the picture and hence much better quality, especially under poor light conditions.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
The rear face camera is a nice extra feature, does not hurt in my opinion if you have it. You can take pictures of your room or surroundings and send that to your boss in case you work on the road; good examples are Realtors, Insurance estimators or even Doctors.

The front face or screen camera is of course good if you are doing face to face meetings or conference. That one has less resolution and does not need flash. If you are out traveling and away from family, you can also use it and chat with wife or kids ;-) ...

You will start seeing more and more cameras in today's gadget because is an important tool to share multimedia: take videos, pictures, etc. Even Apple, based on what I read recently, started to realize that and rumors are that a rear face camera will be included on new iPad release.
Yup, agreed that cameras will spread in tablets. I was trying to figure out what mileage I could get out of them, but looks like they're not useful for my purposes. I do like being able to see my niece and nephew on Skype, but I don't care to be on camera, lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The Tab has both rear and forward facing cameras. I've used both. It's a bit bulkier than a cell phone but does the job.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Maggie,

I would use an on tablet camera, I guess in tablet lingo it's a "rear-facing" camera more than a front facing camera. I would use it when I am cataloging items I am researching or doing my initial inventory recording. I have learned it is actually nice to add a photo of something when I am entering the other info. It does not need to be more than something to let me visually confirm the item matches the other data in the record. Having the camera on the device under Win7 will let me use the app I wrote simply grab a photo(s) from a predefined directory.

Later I believe I can add the ability to directly capture the image as it is taken but for now just being able to get the photo as part of the normal workflow would be wonderful and a lot faster than trying to shoot reference shots, moving the photos over the the device then importing them into the record.

I also discovered an iOS app that can actually give measurements of something in a photo. I never really tested it but there is another use that would be really nice but for me. And we know what is nice new feature for one person is bloatware for another.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Yup, agreed that cameras will spread in tablets. I was trying to figure out what mileage I could get out of them, but looks like they're not useful for my purposes. I do like being able to see my niece and nephew on Skype, but I don't care to be on camera, lol.
Yeah, a really personal choice, like usual. Some people never use it.

But manufacturers start to realize that with the power of multimedia (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc) more and more people want a tool that allows them to share their live experiences. It is easier to add those features and give the user a choice than just provide a device without any option at all.

Long time ago you had to buy a mic for your laptop. Some people never used it or needed it. Now integrated mic and even cameras are standard on most laptops and make a difference when buying one in most users. I see a similar trend with tablets.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #30
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah, a really personal choice, like usual. Some people never use it.

But manufacturers start to realize that with the power of multimedia (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc) more and more people want a tool that allows them to share their live experiences. It is easier to add those features and give the user a choice than just provide a device without any option at all.

Long time ago you had to buy a mic for your laptop. Some people never used it or needed it. Now integrated mic and even cameras are standard on most laptops and make a difference when buying one in most users. I see a similar trend with tablets.
Yup, I can see some users finding tablet cameras useful. I'm open to using them if I find need down the road. Often tech develops and the initial uses are limited, but new uses emerge.