Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am not good with figures but what I can see on the inet is there are about 10 million ereaders worldwide. Half of them in the US. Even if it were all Kindles and nooks, makes the rest of the readers epub devices.

Over here (Europe) it is the standard. And no extra B&N DRM is known simply because here is no B&N. Sony doesn't even bother to make all their devices with wifi because the rest of the world is not wifi crazy as the Americans are. See interview here.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I am not good with figures but what I can see on the inet is there are about 10 million ereaders worldwide. Half of them in the US. Even if it were all Kindles and nooks, makes the rest of the readers epub devices.

Over here (Europe) it is the standard. And no extra B&N DRM is known simply because here is no B&N. Sony doesn't even bother to make all their devices with wifi because the rest of the world is not wifi crazy as the Americans are. See interview here.
Your numbers are outdated. The US is 75% of the e-reader market. http://publishingperspectives.com/20...reader-market/
Most analysts believe that the Kindle alone sold 8 million units in 2010, although obviously that's an estimate. (Note that the link I included above is does not include the 4th Q of 2010.)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #18
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Talking about numbers: according to this story 3.5 million people in the UK got an e-reader for Christmas. That would suggest that out of the 8 million Kindles sold in 2010 probably a couple of millions went to the UK. And this number also raises the question whether the US still is 75% of the market. Seems like we're catching up here in Europe.
Zetmolm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... B&N just make their own DRM on top of the "normal" DRM. ...
Is this correct, it doesn't sound right to me. I thought as long as you had the "password" (credit card number), you could read a B&N ebook on any Nook (or any ereader that supported EPub and ereader DRM)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is this correct, it doesn't sound right to me. I thought as long as you had the "password" (credit card number), you could read a B&N ebook on any Nook (or any ereader that supported EPub and ereader DRM)?
Try it. There are free nook book available at B&N. The CC# is needed to break the DRM and strip it down via a Calibre plugin to make it readable on a Sony.
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
B&N's DRM is the newer version of the ADEPT DRM. Supposedly you should be able to read it on all devices as soon as they update their software (if they do). Adobe has an FAQ on this new version of their DRM that is quite enlightening.

Also, many free books on B&N forgo the DRM entirely, so you'll need to hunt around for one to test the plugin with. The newer version of the ADEPT DRM requires a username and password (First Last,CC# at B&N), while the old version used a different authentication method... which is why the B&N plugin requires additional setup.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Try it. There are free nook book available at B&N. The CC# is needed to break the DRM and strip it down via a Calibre plugin to make it readable on a Sony.
I don't have a Nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
B&N's DRM is the newer version of the ADEPT DRM. Supposedly you should be able to read it on all devices as soon as they update their software (if they do). Adobe has an FAQ on this new version of their DRM that is quite enlightening.

This is why I took exception to "B&N just make their own DRM on top of the "normal" DRM". To me this implies that all readers would have to be registered to the same account.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #23
bluezhift
bluezhift began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I find it interesting that the Kindle still doesn't support ePub, at least until I think about the money. Right now, the lack of ePub support is not costing Amazon anything. Most end users are not technically savvy people who care much about the file formats. They only want to be able to easily buy books for their Kindles which means buying from Amazon.

ePub support is more of an issue for us crazy adventurers who want to get our books from a great variety of sources, and of course those of us without Kindles. If/when other readers start to take significant market share away from the Kindle, then maybe we'll see some change at Amazon. Ultimately, Amazon wants to sell books. Do they even make a profit from the Kindle hardware?
bluezhift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

I know you don't have a nook. I can read it in your signature. This is the reason why I said try it. You doubted my statement that B&N does their own DRM on top of the Adobe DRM and thus I proposed you try to read a B&N book on your Sony.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I know you don't have a nook. I can read it in your signature. This is the reason why I said try it. You doubted my statement that B&N does their own DRM on top of the Adobe DRM and thus I proposed you try to read a B&N book on your Sony.
No thank you. Caltsar confirmed it wouldn't work.

And see this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Barnes
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Lsantiago7859
Enthusiast
Lsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Samsung 10.1 tablet, Nook HD+ and SONY PRS-T2
I wish I could understand Apprentice Alf's instructions better - I get confused when I try with python and all.
Lsantiago7859 is offline   Reply With Quote