Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Dayum
Dayum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
newbie question

Hey guys looking at taking the plunge in to the ereader world and so far the two that are at the top of my list are the kobo wifi and the sony prs 350. However I'm having troubles choosing which one would be better for me.

My two sticking points at the moment are build quality and comic books. Now build quality is by far the more important issue of the two, so which one would everyone say has the better over all build quality?
Also I would really like to be able to have comic books on my ereader. I'm assuming that neither the kobo or the 350 support cbr files, so i really don't know if its even possible to get comic books on an ereader, but if it is i would love to find out how.

Thanks,
Dayum

Last edited by Dayum; 12-28-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Dayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
You might be interested in this thread on the 350 and comic books.

And, welcome to the site, Dayum!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The PRS-350 is the best 5" E Ink Reader available by a mile. Some people rate it the best available at any size. I would not go that far, but it is a very good device, with good build quality. The Kobo is a middle of the pack 6" E Ink Reader - likely "good enough" but not outstanding in most respects.

For comics, the 6" screen might win out just because it is bigger. On the other hand the improved contrast of the PRS-350's Pearl screen might make it the best. Both screens are 600x800, so it isn't resolution but screen size that differs. What you need is someone to chime in who reads comics and has a 6" Vizplez Reader (any make) and a PRS-350.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
Dayum

wow guys thanks alot for the very fast and helpful replies, I didnt know that calibre could convert cbr files, so thanks for the link SeaBookGuy.
Wallcraft thanks for the info on the build quality, and for the suggestions about getting a larger screen for comic book reading. I may look at the prs-650 now, as they seem to be pretty much the same with a larger screen and memory card slot on the 650.

Thanks again,
Dayum
Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Each ereader is better for different situations. The kobo that you spoke of is best if you want simplicity of operations. Its got one button on the front which operates everything and anything on the device. Other devices have a lot of buttons that do different things where as the Kobo is simple.

My Libra Pro is best if you are simply unwilling to pay those high prices for the readers, its approximatly $90.

The Sony PRSs are best if you want a touch screen reader.

The Kindle is best if you for see yourself having thousands of ebooks.

The Jet Book is best if you are concerned about being able to read anything that you come across regardless of the format.

So which is best for you really depends on what you find important.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I think there's a lot more information if you search the Calibre forum itself under "comics".
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Dayum

Thanks for all the help, I ended up getting the prs 350 last night. I havent had much of a chance to play with it, but did get a few books on it before bed and it looks great, cant wait to get home from work today and read.