Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
*edit* Maybe it's too spartan? It has the Roskyetvok taste: lotsa features, but a poor GUI, no help and no documentation.
Different strokes...

What I like about Coolreader (aside from the two-column landscape mode and the deep customizability) is that I can turn *everything* off; no status bar, no progress bar, no cpu power wasted on animations...
On IQ, it is the closest to FBReader 180.

It took me a bit of effort to find a way to get Aldiko tuned *almost* to my taste. (1.2 second pageturn is too slow. And I dislike its habit of loading only one chapter at a time.

As for no help or doc, well that's par for the course. It's an android app.
(I suspect Google has threatened to sue anybody who dares show hem up by documenting *their* app. )
In my case, I'm familiar with Coolreader from my time with my BeBook and OpenInkpot.

In case somebody isn't aware of it: it supports arbitrary TrueType and OpenType fonts in the SD card at \fonts. If presented with a full family (italics, bold, bold italic) it will display proper italics, etc. It used to prefer fonts in the family be suffixed with _i, _b, _bi as appropriate.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-12-2010 at 05:45 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I quite like CoolReader too, but there's an issue I have with it, so I'd appreciate some help.

When I use it to open txt files, there's a line at the top with - I don't know how to call them - notches? markings? - for headings. Thing is, txt files have no headings, and whatever CoolReader uses to judge where to apply a heading, it's doing it wrong. I came across many pages consisting of a heading and two-three lines.

Please tell me, is there a way to turn this behavior off somewhere in the settings? It's incredibly annoying, and forces me to keep scrolling. Thank you in advance!
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Question: I have Coolreader on my Hanlin V5 and like it a lot... will it run on my PB 360 as well? I have the Fb reader for the 360 but cool reader seems to have more options...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Question: I have Coolreader on my Hanlin V5 and like it a lot... will it run on my PB 360 as well? I have the Fb reader for the 360 but cool reader seems to have more options...
No.
The PB360 runs pure Linux, the IQ runs Android which is a Java-type environment on top of a vestigial Linux. (How Java-like it is is currently being litigated.)
As far as I can tell nobody's porting Coolreader 3 to the Pocketbook readers.

As for options, are you running FBReader 180?
Coolreader only outguns it by its 2 column landscape mode. Otherwise they're comparable, as far as I can tell. FBreader seems to have a better text rendering engine for TrueType. (It might be the eInk vs LCD diffences, though. Some fonts that look great on the 360 look awful on the IQ. Fortunately, others look fine.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-13-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: keybounce
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #20
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No.
The PB360 runs pure Linux, the IQ runs Android which is a Java-type environment on top of a vestigial Linux. (How Java-like it is is currently being litigated.)
As far as I can tell nobody's porting Coolreader 3 to the Pocketbook readers.

As for options, are you running FBReader 180?
Coolreader only outguns it by its 2 column landscape mode. Otherwise they're comparable, a ar as I can tell. FBreader seems to have a better text rendering engine for TrueType. (It might be the eInk vs LCD diffences, though. Some fonts that look great on the 360 look awful on the IQ. Fortunately, others look fine.)
Ta. ftjorres for the post. I was reading up on it on the MR wiki... I do think CR 3.0 is a touch better but you are correct more or less the same. I just wish that fb 180 could reverse the grey background/black font - black background/ white font.. as my V5 does..I use this feature from time to time..

Sorry to digress the thread...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #21
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please, again, is there a way to make CoolReader stop inserting these bookmarks/headings/whatever they are called? I am getting sick of constantly encountering two-sentence screens!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
And I want to know how to access the dictionary.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #23
citac
Fanatic

Thumbs down Serious issue with the way .txt files are presented

Is there a place I can make a request, or report what I consider a bug, for the next version of CoolReader?

I want to be able to turn off the table of contents (at least I think that's what it is) for .txt files opened in CoolReader. It arbitrarily marks something in my fics as a heading, leaving me with text which has only several lines per screen. Or I would like to at the very least be able to choose what should be treated as a heading (though why there would be one in a plain .txt file is beyond me). I had this exact problem with CoolReader on my Astak using the lbook firmware and it drove me absolutely batty (posts 14 and 15).

I have been trying to find the solution to this problem the entire evening, but nobody knows anything, and the pages that mention CoolReader and it's newer versions (cr3_0_39_6) are in Russian?? and I can't find my way around. If I try to download the files to see if there is a larger number of options, they have only few kilobytes.

So please, I am begging you, point me to the right direction. This is seriously affecting my ability to read my files, and I'd like to use CoolReader as my default reader.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #24
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
This is the project's site:

http://crengine.sourceforge.net/
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #25
citac
Fanatic

Thank you, I'm off to submit a bug.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #26
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle17 View Post
Developer of Cool Reader for android (Buggins) usually places latest releases on Russian forum 4PDA for free download (here http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=191747)
Hi, I have a question for you. There seems to be a new version out on the website you kindly linked me to, but it's impossible to download the file (I keep landing on a 404 page).

There's a link to Androlib, but I have no way to download it directly to my PocketBook since it's not connected to the internet. Since the page describes that it has ".txt file heading detection fix", I would like to try it out. When will this version be available for download, and where?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #27
kalle17
kalle17 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302, PocketBook IQ701
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Hi, I have a question for you. There seems to be a new version out on the website you kindly linked me to, but it's impossible to download the file (I keep landing on a 404 page).

There's a link to Androlib, but I have no way to download it directly to my PocketBook since it's not connected to the internet. Since the page describes that it has ".txt file heading detection fix", I would like to try it out. When will this version be available for download, and where?

Thank you in advance.
In attachment zipped latest version of CoolReader
Attached Files
File Type: zip cr3_0_39_11.zip (1.47 MB, 146 views)

Last edited by kalle17; 12-22-2010 at 02:31 AM.
kalle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle17 View Post
The forum requires registration in order to download files. Registration link is on the top of page and looks like this " Регистрация ". First registration page is set of forum rules and the next one is actual registration form.
Registration is free, but everyting on this forum is in russian, so use Google Translate.

PS In attachment zipped latest version of CoolReader
Sends virtual cookies and lots of karma you way for taking the trouble to send me this.

I just hope it solves my problem, as I really like the app. If not, I'll have to wait and see if it's taken care of in one of the future versions.

ETA still have the same problem. I will either have to wait for this to be solved before I can read my .txt fics via CoolReader, or I will have to start saving/converting my fics to html or epub - not a happy prospect since I have thousands of them, across many fandoms.

Last edited by citac; 12-21-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
I quite like CoolReader too, but there's an issue I have with it, so I'd appreciate some help.

When I use it to open txt files, there's a line at the top with - I don't know how to call them - notches? markings? - for headings. Thing is, txt files have no headings, and whatever CoolReader uses to judge where to apply a heading, it's doing it wrong. I came across many pages consisting of a heading and two-three lines.

Please tell me, is there a way to turn this behavior off somewhere in the settings? It's incredibly annoying, and forces me to keep scrolling. Thank you in advance!
Please provide me some samples of wrongly recognized .txt files.
I'll try to fix text format autodetection heuristics.
Buggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #30
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Thank you, I'm off to submit a bug.
Thank you for submitting bug! But could you attach some sample files?
Buggins is offline   Reply With Quote