Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Bumblebeee
Bumblebeee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 : Questions

Hello everyone!
I received my Kindle today and I had a few questions!

1. How fragile is this beautiful thing? I was pulling it in out of a case and I noticed I was grabbing it by the screen - Just curious as to how shatter/crack prone the screen is?

2. Any applications etc you guys recommend I should look at as a Kindle virgin?

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to being involved here.
Bumblebeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebeee View Post
1. How fragile is this beautiful thing? I was pulling it in out of a case and I noticed I was grabbing it by the screen - Just curious as to how shatter/crack prone the screen is?

1. I don't take any chances, and when I'm using a sleeve-type case I always insert it screen first so that I'm holding it by the keyboard end to put it in and pull it out. The device seems sturdy enough, but I've seen enough broken screen pictures to not want to push my luck. Little bumps or a bit of pressure won't kill it -- squeezing it gently as you take it out of something is probably fine, but all those fingerprints, gross! -- but twisting it, on the other hand, is very dangerous.

2. Calibre, Calibre, Calibre.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
2. Calibre for formatting books in any format (windows and linux).
With "Mangle" you can format manga's: http://foosoft.net/mangle/
1. The Kindle feels very sturdy but I got my a leather case nonetheless. I am taking no riscs.
Oh and I have one of the cases where you have a string with a leather thingy. It itself is sturdy enough to open and fold it backwards w/o touching my kindle.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
k3

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I too, would not take any chances and would definitely get a cover. Personally, if you ever need the reading light, the Amazon cover with the built-in light is fabulous even if it is a little pricey.

Calibre software is another must have. After you have collected a few books from different sources, it's hard to remember what you have. Calibre solves all that and lets you have a complete picture of your ebook library, fix meta data issues and easily send books to your kindle. If you liberate your ebooks from drm, Calibre will also convert any book you obtain to the .mobi format that can be read on your Kindle. (Pdf is still iffy).

As to applications, that's a personal type of thing. The games are cute, but not really easy to play without mousing capability.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Definitely the cover. Also, don't forget to get a clear plastic cover that fits over your reading screen (you can get them at Amazon for $1-$2 each). It's a pain to put them on without getting bubbles underneath, but well worth it. I was being careful with my Sony 700 the first week (even with a cover) and still the screen got scratched in my bag.

I highly recommend the clear plastic films to everybody, it's so annoying when you get a scratch/speck of anything on the screen and have to read thru it!
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Bumblebeee

Thanks everyone!

I have another problem : I can't seem to receive any emails. I registered the email address to the approve list but still nothing. '

I dont know what I am doing wrong.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
What are you trying to send?

Your Kindle email address is not for regular email, it's only for attaching documents or books.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Bumblebeee

Oh Calibre kept trying to send empty mails so it didn't work but its fixed now.

I had another quick question : I bought a book on my friends kindle and then I purchased my own kindle and wanted to get transfer it to my kindle. Can I do that via calibre?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Oh Calibre kept trying to send empty mails so it didn't work but its fixed now.

I had another quick question : I bought a book on my friends kindle and then I purchased my own kindle and wanted to get transfer it to my kindle. Can I do that via calibre?
Not if it has drm. If you bought it from Amazon, it most likely does.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
You can also transfer to your Kindle if both devices are on the same account
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
JellyFish
JellyFish doesn't litterJellyFish doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I bought the case for my Kindle 3, so it's protected for the most part. I try to be careful with it though, but it seems pretty darned sturdy so far. All the same, I would not want to take any chances in dropping it or having it stepped on or whatever.
JellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Bumblebeee

First : I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING my kindle. Best purchase I have ever made.

I was reading in a very quiet room and I noticed that the buttons on the right side are 'quieter' than the ones on the left. Is that normal? Just an observation
Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
I noticed that the buttons on the right side are 'quieter' than the ones on the left. Is that normal? Just an observation
I think it probably varies from unit to unit. On mine, for instance, the forward page turn button on the right side is louder than the other three turn buttons. Not enough to bother me, though.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

It's large, flat and mostly plastic and glass - I carry mine in a case all the time, but mainly because I hate scratches on anything. Due to the nature of its size and thinness though I think it would be prone to more prone to breakage than say, an iPhone.

Not much software other than Calibre, but I would recommend most of the sites on this list:
http://www.bookhoot.com
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
gertblij
Enthusiast
gertblij has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Re 1: When you carry it around in a satchel or briefcase get some form of cover. If you have plenty bucks, buy one of those at Amazon, if no bucks get one of those A5 bubblewrap envelopes at your local stationary store. Here in South Africa I paid the equivalent of US$ 0.50. Works like a dream

Re 2: When you get Calibre spend some time understanding the Fetch News feature. It is not very intuitive, but not hard to learn either and efinitely worth the effort

Enjoy
gertblij is offline   Reply With Quote