Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #61
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
... you might like Christopher Stasheff's Warlock In Spite of Himself and sequels.
I found I preferred Her Majesty's Wizard and the first several sequels (Wizard In Rhyme series). After the first few, they seemed to lose something, though. But the (current) last one The Feline Wizard (if I remember rightly), was quite good.

I really wish that Stasheff would go back to his Starship Troupers series -- a repertory theater company on space-ships is actually quite amusing, and the last published book clearly anticipated another installment, but it's been 13 years, so I suppose I hope in vain. :sigh:
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #62
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Reading Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe...Holy cow...

...soon I will start the Mass Effect novel Revleation (in anticipation for the 360 game).
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #63
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Long time I didn't post here.

I have finished The Dark Tower series a few weeks ago. Fantastic saga. Don't care that there are so many people moans about the last 3 books and about the ending of the story. I believe the books are brilliant and the ending could not be different as King said.

Just finished The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. A real page turner. However, I believe it is not as good as Tigana or The Last Light of the Sun. Too many time gaps in the story that I wish were filled in and I am not happy with the ending but nonetheless the book is very enjoyable.

Now I am supposed to be ashamed because I started to read for the first time in my life Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. So far, I am not impressed...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #64
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Now I am supposed to be ashamed because I started to read for the first time in my life Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. So far, I am not impressed...
If you don't like one of the Earthsea books, skip ahead to the next one. I myself think the first one was a bit slow. But I really liked Tehanu and The Other Wind, her recent additions to this set of books, and Tehanu wouldn't make nearly as much sense without having first read The Tombs of Atuan, while similarly, The Other Wind is really best read after The Farthest Shore. There is also a set of short stories that could be read at any time, and you might find that you enjoy the other books better if you read the short stories first.

A Wizard of Earthsea was probably considered such a great book partly because of the time in which it was published-- up to that point, most fantasy was still imitating Tolkein, and additionally, the year after A Wizard of Earthsea, Le Guin published The Left Hand of Darkness, which won both a Hugo and a Nebula.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #65
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Just finished "L'Homme qui devint Dieu" from Gérald Messadié in paper. It's a novel I'd read in 87 when in came out about the life of Jesus. It was very controversial at that time. At this reread it seems dated in the theological discoveries. Unfortunately I found no trace of a translation to English. It should be.

Just started the whole of Steve Jordan's self published ebooks! Enjoying it so far, he's got a good 'esthetist' feel to it!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #66
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
If you don't like one of the Earthsea books, skip ahead to the next one. I myself think the first one was a bit slow. But I really liked Tehanu and The Other Wind, her recent additions to this set of books, and Tehanu wouldn't make nearly as much sense without having first read The Tombs of Atuan, while similarly, The Other Wind is really best read after The Farthest Shore. There is also a set of short stories that could be read at any time, and you might find that you enjoy the other books better if you read the short stories first.

A Wizard of Earthsea was probably considered such a great book partly because of the time in which it was published-- up to that point, most fantasy was still imitating Tolkein, and additionally, the year after A Wizard of Earthsea, Le Guin published The Left Hand of Darkness, which won both a Hugo and a Nebula.
Thanks for a tip.
I think I will go through book 1 and book 2. If I don't like them I stop.
I have not read any HP books yet but I have seen movies and reading A Wizard of Earthsea feels like a the first HP movie was based on this book Small buy, no parents, natural talents, goes to far away school to learn magic, rivals in school...I think Rowling is a big fan of Earthsea
Old 06-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #67
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Still in Asimov's 'Foundation' 15book series.
Where did you get all 15 e-books , I've only found 3
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #68
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Started to read The Road by McCarthy. A very gloomy and depressing story about a father and a son who try to survive in an Utopian America.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #69
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Started to read The Road by McCarthy. A very gloomy and depressing story about a father and a son who try to survive in an Utopian America.
I just finished it! What a great novel! It really touched me. I can understand all the fuss about it.

By the way, it reminded me of Parable of the Sower, a science fiction novel by Octavia Butler where the characters had to travel through a California devastated by the global warming. And I thought that Octavia Butler was being pessimistic!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #70
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Have heard a lot about it and decided to postpone reading the book for a while. Don't want to read grim books after The Dark Tower series and The Lions of Al-Rassan. Need something lighter
Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #71
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
In newly published books I just finished I'll Sleep When I'm Dead by Crystal Zevon. It is described as "The dirty life and times of Warren Zevon."

For those of you who may not know, the late Warren Zevon was a musician. His most famous songs were "Werewolves of London", "Lawyers, Guns and Money", "Hasten Down the Wind", and "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me." Crystal Zevon was his ex-wife. He approved the project before his death under the provision that she tell the truth, "warts and all."

As a long time Zevon fan I was interested in the material and found it to be a fascinating read -- warts and all.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #72
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Still in Asimov's 'Foundation' 15book series. Looking forward to CJ Cherryh's 'Company Wars'.
Where did you get all 15 e-books , I've only found 3
I think he's referring to the other books in that universe. They could be considered part of the Foundation series or not, depending on how you want to look at it. If you interpret it really strictly, then they're not, but it's not really that much of a stretch to pull them in, as there is, indeed a common over-plot in the lot.

Here's a list of them, and a slightly different list here that includes some 'Foundation' books not written by Asimov.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #73
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Nah there are 7 books in the Foundation series From Prelude to forward the foundation. Then there are the robot (Earth) books. Asimov did try to combine the two series later in his life, but to me those efforts (Foundation and earth and robots and empire) have always seemed artificial.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #74
NatCh
Gizmologist

Which illustrates my point that it's a matter of how you interpret what makes up the series very nicely.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm currently reading in no particular order...

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
On the reader and yes I own the hardcover
Read the Whirlwind by David Mack
Paperback
Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek Mirror Universe, Bk. II) by Peter David, Keith R. A. DeCandido, and Sarah Shaw
Paperback
The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
On the reader
Mere Anarchy 1: Things Fall Apart by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore
On the reader
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote