Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #46
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
When I attempt to install Sigil (XUbuntu 16.10) I get:

xxxx@eris:~/Essentials$ ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86_64.xz.run
Verifying archive integrity... 100% All good.
Uncompressing Sigil Installer 100%
./setup.sh: 3: ./setup.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Any thoughts. I grabbed the installer yesterday so it should be the most recent.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
When I attempt to install Sigil (XUbuntu 16.10) I get:

xxxx@eris:~/Essentials$ ./Sigil-v0.9.8-Linux-x86_64.xz.run
Verifying archive integrity... 100% All good.
Uncompressing Sigil Installer 100%
./setup.sh: 3: ./setup.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Any thoughts. I grabbed the installer yesterday so it should be the most recent.
Hmm. I've tried to keep the script as generic as possible to help avoid any specific bash implementation issues (or new/old command switches not being available), but perhaps I've missed something. An actual syntax error seems odd, though. I know I've tested the script on 16.04 at some point and it was working.

I'll take a look at it as soon as I can, but I'm in the midst of a house rewiring/ISP change that may keep me from uploading any fixes today.

EDIT: I think it's my new function for testing the libc version. The "function" keyword is apparently NOT the most portable way to define a function. I'll make an adjustment. In the meantime, since your libc version is clearly new enough with 16.10, you could try adding the "skiplibctest" parameter (without the quotes) to the command used to run the installer. That will hopefully bypass the faulty code.

I just knew there was a good reason to include a way to bypass that test.

Thanks for the report! Let me know if that workaround gets you going.

BTW ... would you mind taking any followup regarding this issue to the specific Linux Installer thread? I'm trying to keep any Linux installer issues separate from Sigil-proper for the time being.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-29-2017 at 10:39 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #48
alban lusitanae
alban lusitanae began at the beginning.

Device: General Smartphone and Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We have no connection to those who package portable versions of Sigil. You'll probably need to ask in the PortableApps forums.
Will do.
alban lusitanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alban lusitanae View Post
Will do.
It usually doesn't take them too long.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #50
Sarvasri
Writer
Sarvasri began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Sigil must be in the Applications folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Sadly, 0.9.8 will not launch on my Mac running OS 10.11.6.

I get "Sigil quit unexpectedly." I have Tcl 8.6.4.1 installed and 0.9.7 works fine.

I am not the most knowledgeable about these things, and the problem could be on my end, but if there's anything I can do to help identify the problem, please let me know.

Muchas gracias
I couldn't get Sigil to run on Mac 10.11.6 either, BUT I had put Sigil in a sub folder (Epub Apps) within my Applications folder. When I took it out and put it directly in the Applications folder directly, then it ran.
Sarvasri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvasri View Post
I couldn't get Sigil to run on Mac 10.11.6 either, BUT I had put Sigil in a sub folder (Epub Apps) within my Applications folder. When I took it out and put it directly in the Applications folder directly, then it ran.
Those earlier issues were due to a problematic Sigil 0.9.8 Mac build. The first thing to do if you have an issue with 0.9.8 on a Mac is to download the dmg from the github release page again to make sure you have the very latest build.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-19-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The latest dmg dated April 10th should work from any location on a Mac. I regularly run it from my Desktop or from within a build tree deep down on an external drive and not in /Applications at all. Please try the latest version inside your Epub Apps folder. It should work just fine. If not, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvasri View Post

Last edited by KevinH; 04-19-2017 at 07:09 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #53
Sarvasri
Writer

It WAS the April 10th build that I was using when it would not run. I dowloaded it several times and almost gave up on using Sigil. I also tried 9.7 which didn't work either. Only when I move it to the Applications folder did it work. I'm using Mac OS 10.1.6 on a Mac Pro early 2008. I did install the recommended Tcl 8.6.4.1 and rebooted the computer.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tested running it from another Mac running 10.11.6 from Sigil.app in a folder on the Desktop itself and it ran just fine. What exact error message are you getting when you try to run it from somewhere other than Applications?

Have you tried running DiskUtility and making sure your disk permissions as properly set?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #55
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW, I just now tried the April 10th build on my wife's laptop. Downloaded it direct from the github releases. Moved the dmg from Downloads to the Desktop. Created a new folder on the Desktop called junk and after double-clicking the dmg was able to copy Sigil.app into the junk folder. Trashed the mounted Disk Image, and deleted the dmg just to prevent any confusion.

Next I opened the junk folder and double-clicked Sigil.app and it started up and runs just fine. This is in a laptop that has never had Sigil on it before.

So something specific to your Mac is causing a problem for apps not launched from your Applications folder. Are you using any anti-virus software or some other sandbox or "security" software that might be interfering?

If it isn't that or issues with disk permissions, I really have no idea why it is doing that on your machine. Could you try it on another Mac to see if it has the same issue for you? I have tried in 3 different recent Macs with no problems at all (one OSX 10.10.5, one OSX 10.11.6, and one OSX 10.12.3 (Sierra).
Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 AM   #56
Sarvasri
Writer

Sigil -- must be in the Applications folder

I don't know why moving it to the application folder worked.
Every time I tried to run it. It would immediately crash. No screen or other indicators of it trying to run showed up. Just an instantaneous crash.

My system is a little finicky lately and I don't know why. The whole system crashes almost daily. I have run disk utilities and Disk Warrior on it. Mostly it crashes in Safari.

I don't know how to determine what is wrong with my system and why it crashes. MacOS used to run for months or years without crashing in the early days. Now it's not so stable.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #57
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Unfortunately, that is specific to your particular machine. My OSX machines have long been rock stable and they have continued that way. Do you see similar issues if you safe boot? Have you tried booting with the shift key held down? Perhaps you have a flakey ram chip? You might want to run a memory test of some sort.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #58
Sarvasri
Writer

I did some tests. I ran Disk Warrior and Disk Utility First Aid. No change. Sigil still crashed every time. Then I downloaded a fresh version. It still crashed every time it was in my "eBook/EPUB Apps" folder where I wanted it. It would run in the "Applications" folder.

THEN I tried putting it inside my "PDF Apps" folder inside the "Applications" folder and IT RAN. So it is NOT a requirement for it to be in the "Applications" folder as I thought.

Then I tried changing the name of the folder where I wanted it from "eBook/EPUB Apps" to "eBook-EPUB Apps" replacing the slash with a hyphen. IT RAN.

Conclusion: Sigil will not run in a folder with a / (slash) in the name of the folder.
Problem solved.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #59
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I thought you were supplying a path as in "ebook/EPUB Apps" not a single name with an embedded forward slash. Yes using any path segment separator as part of a file name on a unix based system is a sure recipe for problems. So I strongly recommend never using reserved characters including file path segment separators in file or folder names on any linux/unix/osx system.

I will see if I can work around that limitation but Qt should have encoded that character or replaced it when returning the path to where the application exists. Similar problems would exist in Sigil's embedded python app as well.