Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Onyx Boox Max vs. GoodEreader 13.3" (no name)

Just discovered that Michael Kozlowski from GoodEreaders started a new crowd funding company for 13.3" Eink device (looks like a Netronix prototype from last year ) by Indiegogo

GoodEreader presentation seems to be quite persuasive because according to Indiegogo they have already collected some funds and are close to their goal.
It is a good idea to make 13.3" EINK more popular. Michael is also very talented in making reviews. However, to be honest I don't really understand his strategy for the future and intents now. There are some points to think about:
  1. This product is still a typical niche product. This is why other big companies (except of SONY) just ignore it. There is not enough space and funds to play competition games. Currently the bridge is actually too narrow for too many passerbys. Poking with elbows will bring everyone to fall.
  2. Such a product is a mobile-every-day-in-use-quite-expensive-hi-tech product and the warranty period should be at least two years. It is standard in our store. What is about his offer?
  3. Keeping of support over long period is also very important. AFAIK he does not have much experience in development of software for this kind of devices. He advertises openness of the software hopping that someone from user community will develop software for it. We also offer open SDK for our devices, however, in my experience, it is rather unlikely that someone will take care of it continuously.
  4. What is about maintenance? We do complete maintenance, repair damaged or malfunctioning devices in our company in EU. It is quite costly to maintain such a workshop. Is he going to offer maintenance in Canada?
I am also quite curious, why some prospective customers still decide to invest in the GoodEreader device. Besides of additional finger control (which is not available for mass production yet and is scheduled by PVI for the end of this year) it has less RAM (512MB vs. 1GB of Max), less storage (4GB vs. 16GB of Max), less battery capacitiy (1270 mAh vs 4100 mAh). It does not have audio hardware, no Bluetooth, no hardware buttons to turn pages... And it is also more expensive than Max. Currently we offer it for EUR 585 (about USD 650) to non-EU customers. Shipping to US or Canada would be just EUR28 (USD 31). Total EUR 613 (about USD 680). The GoodEreader offer is USD 699 + shipping! Availability is scheduled for end of September, but I guess it will be rather end of this year because of lacking of capacitive screens.

What do you think about guys?

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-22-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's not a no-name unit; I recognize the hardware as Netronix.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
3. Keeping of support over long period is also very important. AFAIK he does not have much experience in development of software for this kind of devices. He advertises openness of the software hopping that someone from user community will develop software for it. We also offer open SDK for our devices, however, in my experience, it is rather unlikely that someone will take care of it continuously.
Indeed, I asked him whether they're developing e-ink adapted apps for their device and he replied with "we will be including a recommended list of apps". Wow !! I don't know what to say.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's not a no-name unit; I recognize the hardware as Netronix.
You are right. I knew it and also mentioned it in my post. With "no name" I just meant that GoodEreader did not specify the name of this device yet. They call it just "13.3 Inch e-Reader (Black)" which is not really a name

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-22-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Nossy23
Nossy23 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Even if this came out at the same time as the Onyx Boox Max, and it would have costed the same amount, I would still go for the Onyx Boox Max.
The only thing that might be better is the smaller battery, making it lighter. But I don't know how long such a battery would last before needing to be recharged, so it also might be a bad thing.
Nossy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
It's most probablle vaporware. I don't think it will get in competition to the Onyx Boox Max soon.

For the reason people 'invest' in such a scheme.

Well, let's just say

'There’s a s***er born every minute'
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
espinosa00011
Enthusiast
espinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the rough

Device: None
I think the competition is always good. I have the first onyx boox m90 from onyx and they supported this model for around six months before producing M92 and dropping the support of M90. So Onyx is not also exemplar in supporting their models. At least at the beginnig. So I find very interested that Onyx will have a competitor, Netronix or whatever it will be.
I think it is good for everyone of us as users.

Last edited by espinosa00011; 03-22-2016 at 06:47 PM.
espinosa00011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
1) Since Netronix is involved, there are chances that project will be successful, i.e., they will deliver the hardware.

2) The worst part of this device will be its software. Look at the two videos and it will be apparent that screen refreshes are horrible; they have highly edited the videos to hide this fact and other inconsistencies. The device seems to be slow. They cannot even dream of competing with Boox in software. The reading software on Boox devices is being refined from the past 5-8 years.

3) Sound, Bluetooth, Storage and even battery life (to some extent) matters less to me, while i am judging the devices by their core reading experience. And GoodeReader device does win in one very essential feature and that is dual touch. I am just angry at Onyx for not launching Boox max with Dual touch screens.

I read the comments on Goodereader page and they are out-rightly lying about Boox Max and its capabilities. For example : They wrote that the page turn buttons on Boox Max won't work with apps downloaded from Play Store etc. Writing such flagrant lies doesn't suit a reviewer.

When i bought my first Onyx boox device (m92), it was a very hard decision between Onyx and pocketbook. I am still waiting for pocketbook to launch Autocad reader and provide some decent competition. But the goodereader device can never be the competition. Software on Onyx devices is very refined and optimized.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
espinosa00011
Enthusiast
espinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the roughespinosa00011 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
1) Since Netronix is involved, there are chances that project will be successful, i.e., they will deliver the hardware.

2) The worst part of this device will be its software. Look at the two videos and it will be apparent that screen refreshes are horrible; they have highly edited the videos to hide this fact and other inconsistencies. The device seems to be slow. They cannot even dream of competing with Boox in software. The reading software on Boox devices is being refined from the past 5-8 years.

3) Sound, Bluetooth, Storage and even battery life (to some extent) matters less to me, while i am judging the devices by their core reading experience. And GoodeReader device does win in one very essential feature and that is dual touch. I am just angry at Onyx for not launching Boox max with Dual touch screens.

I read the comments on Goodereader page and they are out-rightly lying about Boox Max and its capabilities. For example : They wrote that the page turn buttons on Boox Max won't work with apps downloaded from Play Store etc. Writing such flagrant lies doesn't suit a reviewer.

When i bought my first Onyx boox device (m92), it was a very hard decision between Onyx and pocketbook. I am still waiting for pocketbook to launch Autocad reader and provide some decent competition. But the goodereader device can never be the competition. Software on Onyx devices is very refined and optimized.
I will wait to see the devide before saying anything. I have only seem a video of Netronix and I did not have your same impresions.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Quote:
I've noticed the huge delay between the time they start scrawling on the screen and the time the text appears on the screen. I don't think its refined at all.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espinosa00011 View Post
I will wait to see the devide before saying anything. I have only seem a video of Netronix and I did not have your same impresions.
I am also going to wait before ordering.

My number one concern is screen refresh rate and quickness of the device. And i was looking specifically for that only in all their videos. They have carefully edited their videos. I wish they would post a non-edited video. They are deliberately trying to show the pros and not the cons.

I just saw the new videos posted by them and one video (about sheet music ) does look promising. For Onyx devices, i already have a benchmark to base my impression on and it is Boox I86. Also, i have Dasung monitor with which i have had very little issues in A5 mode (Other users do not have the same experience as mine but Dasung worked like a charm with my setup and i was able to solve all its tiny problems)

I am also happy that there is competition and i wish Onyx would just release a Dual Touch device and then there will not be any
Old 03-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #12
Feher
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
I've noticed the huge delay between the time they start scrawling on the screen and the time the text appears on the screen. I don't think its refined at all.

Yes, I am saying the same thing. They have edited all the videos but delays are still very much apparent in almost all their videos.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #13
Feher
Addict

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

The page turn buttons are working on my i86 with other apps

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-25-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
espinosa00011
Enthusiast

Quote:
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

The page turn buttons are working on my i86 with other apps
I think this is just an error because they can not test the Onyx Boox Max. In fact the unique person at the moment seems to be Booxtor with a pre-realese sample. But been dual touch the physical buttons are not very important in my opinion.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-25-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
I agree with you Booxtor. Boox Max looks better and less of a vaporware product, though it would be nice if a pen wasn't required. I also find it a bit ridiculous that if the project fails he keeps all the money. I am not that familiar with how indigogo campaigns normally work, but something about that seems shady to me.

A loosely related question - is it possible to navigate and read books entirely without the pen (using controls only) on Boox Max and is the pen holder removable? If it is possible, for me at least- it makes me care a lot less about the touch screen. Thanks.

I also think the battery life claim of 4 weeks with less than 1/3 the battery size is a fantasy on same version of android and I am curious what assumptions underlie that number.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote