Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #2086
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie. I read some of her Poirot mysteries and one standalone novel. I plan to read all of her Poirot books. I just discovered there's a Complete Miss Marple Collection on Amazon for $59.99 and I don't know if I should get it or not. The collection includes all of the thirteen novels plus the short stories. Should I get the whole collection or is it best if I get each book individually?
While not a bad offer, over $4/book isn't brilliant. I'd be inclined to wait for a better offer. (I was lucky enough to get nearly all of her novels in a Fictionwise sale some time ago for around $1/book.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #2087
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
While not a bad offer, over $4/book isn't brilliant. I'd be inclined to wait for a better offer. (I was lucky enough to get nearly all of her novels in a Fictionwise sale some time ago for around $1/book.)
So lucky! From the Miss Marple mysteries, I only have 4:50 From Paddington. I got it on Amazon when it was a Kindle Daily Deal for $1.99 only (original price is $6.99).
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #2088
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is, of course, up to you. I'm about half-way through my Agatha Christie collection, and I think I got them back in 2009 or even 2008.

Having just got the Lord Peter Wimseys for about $1 each in a splendid offer/Kobo discount combination, I do regret the $6 or more each I spent on two of them a while back.

With 'classic' series, it's a question of how quickly you want to read them. I suspect that, unless you gorge on the omnibus, a better offer will appear before you've finished reading them.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #2089
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
It is, of course, up to you. I'm about half-way through my Agatha Christie collection, and I think I got them back in 2009 or even 2008.

Having just got the Lord Peter Wimseys for about $1 each in a splendid offer/Kobo discount combination, I do regret the $6 or more each I spent on two of them a while back.

With 'classic' series, it's a question of how quickly you want to read them. I suspect that, unless you gorge on the omnibus, a better offer will appear before you've finished reading them.
Yes, you're right. I'm not really in a hurry so I'll wait for better offers.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #2090
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
These good deals are just killing me. On the plus side, I will have no shortage of reading material for all of 2014 (including audiobooks) and 2015 as well. But, my TBR list is getting so long. I've already given up one hobby to read, I am considering giving up others for the same reason. I'll never give up quilting though. That's what audiobooks are for!

This week's addition was the Mech series by B V Larson. Each one $1.99 at Amazon. Not sure what this series is, but generally seems to be military scifi.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #2091
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I would like to stop buying ebooks and audiobooks until I catch up, but Amazon, Audible, etc won't stop offering me good deals on things I want to read.

But I have reached a weird phase where I want to read on paper. Hopefully it passes soon.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #2092
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I am pleased to say that it has been five days since I last bought an ebook.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #2093
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It has been five minutes since I last bought an ebook.

(Several inexplicable moderate price cuts in my wish list today, mostly making expensive books into normal-priced books. Only one was sufficient to tempt me in, though. Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch dropped from hardback money to paperback money, even though the paperback must still be months and months away.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #2094
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And there are even more moderate price cuts on my wishlist today. I don't really know where these are coming from, but they're hard to resist. The prices are dropping by around 20-30%, not to real unmissable bargain prices but to good prices I probably wouldn't have thought twice about when I added the books to the wishlist in the first place.

So far I've only bought one more book today, but that could easily be ten if I have a moment of weakness.

Edit: Now two.

Last edited by DrNefario; 12-12-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #2095
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'll never give up quilting though. That's what audiobooks are for!
It's the only way to quilt!
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #2096
DrNefario
Wizard

I keep reading that as "quitting". I'll never give up quitting.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #2097
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
It's the only way to quilt!
Or in my case, knit. Same dynamic, though.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #2098
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

A Neil Gaiman special offer at Amazon has me. +1 book today.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #2099
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
A Neil Gaiman special offer at Amazon has me. +1 book today.
Do you prefer to own your ebooks rather than borrow from your local digital library?

The Graveyard Book is available from Overdrive in the UK. I mention it as a way to save money.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #2100
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Do you prefer to own your ebooks rather than borrow from your local digital library?
Yes. I like to have books I've read in my calibre library, so that I can see that I've read them, and easily re-read parts of them if necessary.

I do spend quite a lot on ebooks. But less than many people spend on their vices or hobbies. (Less than £8/week this year.)