Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Update Reboot? 64bit

I'm using the 64bit version of Calibre on Windows7. Recently with version .19 and now the latest .20, upgrades, the upgrade routine is asking me to reboot my computer. Previously it only asked to restart Calibre. Will having to reboot my computer now be a regular occurrence? Or, is this just happening to me?

Curious...
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
Previously it only asked to restart Calibre. Will having to reboot my computer now be a regular occurrence? Or, is this just happening to me?
In 4 years I can't recall calibre ever asking me to restart calibre or reboot my computer after an install. Of course I've never tried to upgrade calibre with calibre running. If you exit calibre before you upgrade, calibre should never ask you to restart or reboot.

Exiting means ctrl-q not closing it to the system tray.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-23-2013 at 02:28 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I updated 64bit last night and it did not ask me to reboot.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
I'm using the 64bit version of Calibre on Windows7. Recently with version .19 and now the latest .20, upgrades, the upgrade routine is asking me to reboot my computer. Previously it only asked to restart Calibre. Will having to reboot my computer now be a regular occurrence? Or, is this just happening to me?

Curious...
Did you get your update from one of the 2 'Official' calibre sources?
I'm thinking you used a 'Crapware' added source.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've been asked to reboot after a Calibre upgrade perhaps a couple of times over the years. It's presumably when it needs to upgrade some system component which is in use at the time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Same here. For a while, I was asked to reboot my computer for the changes to take place, each time I updated. That was with Calibre closed as well. I usually would change it later as I seemed to always be doing something I did not want to leave at the time.

Then, that request disappeared just as quick as it originally appeared. Haven't seen it for a while now.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not touch *any* system components, it installs *nothing* to system areas except shortcuts and a few registry keys. If your computer is asking you to reboot because of a calibre installation then windows installer is being flakey.

IIRC, windows installer is very easily confused on this subject. For example if you click a link in calibre which opens in your browser and then you update calibre with that browser still running, windows installer thinks it needs to reboot, for some reason known only to microsoft.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks, I've always used the link from withing Calibre to pull down the latest and greatest. Come to think of it I've always had my browser open when doing the installation. I'll give that a try on the next time around. I'm not surprised that Microsoft gets confused...It's Microsoft....
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are you trying to run the installer from the download (where to...) box instead of always selecting Save File. Then run from that.

Note: Launching the MSI directly from Firefoxes DOWNLOAD (complete) List has not required a reboot
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not a simple condition, i.e. it does not always happen. I'd guess that it depends on other variables as well, such as if the browser itself was updated or the phase of the moon
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
toomuchreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the phase of the moon
Hey it's Microsoft....I don't expect it to work...

I do save first then shutdown Calibre, but...you know...it's Microsoft...