Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about sony reader for PC

I'm writing an e-book (via Sigil and epub) and a couple of people have said good things about using Sony reader for PC (the free download) as a proofreader. But one person said to get 'the older version' as it did not hang on to the epub and allowed you to edit the epub (I assume on Sigil) without having to exit the Sony. But I've also seen a lot of terrible stuff about Sony reader for PC too. And, in general, like "library cards," the sony experience sounded like kind of a hassle. And I really couldn't tell what the model of the new version is. I THINK the 'older version' is ver.2.5.

So, for my proofreading needs, download the new one? the old one? avoid downloading either? a better suggestion?

Any light you can shed on this for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The 2.5 is the version I prefer as my reader management software. When I bought a new PC just over a year ago, I had to search the internet for this version and it wasn't easy. For this reason alone, you may be better off with the newer version.

As for it's merits as a proof-reading device: imho the ebook looks totally different on the ereader to how it looks on the software. The best way of seeing how your book will look on the ereader is to purchase a second-hand Sony reader.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
As for it's merits as a proof-reading device: imho the ebook looks totally different on the ereader to how it looks on the software. The best way of seeing how your book will look on the ereader is to purchase a second-hand Sony reader.
I can't remember what version 2.5 was like, but I'm using Sony Reader Library v3.3 and ePub books look essentially identical to the way they appear on my PRS-650.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The 2.5 is the version I prefer as my reader management software. When I bought a new PC just over a year ago, I had to search the internet for this version and it wasn't easy. For this reason alone, you may be better off with the newer version.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
The link I put in the other two threads is for Reader Library 3.3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote