Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
sminarov
sminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura aboutsminarov has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 650
Unhappy Frustrated Kobo Buyer

Hey, not the newbie I appear, but changed email server forgot password as I have been lurking for the past while.. anyway.. The last 4 books that I have purchased from Kobo have failed to download on to my computer they all have this "error" (in quotes because customer service says this is not an error message)

<error xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/adept" data="E_ADEPT_RESOURCE_DOES_NOT_EXIST http://acs4.shortcovers.com:8080/ful...t/URLLink.acsm 6b3919fd-a48a-4075-92d8-fc90348c74c6"/
e

although the numbers probably change to identify the books so far Kobo
has been unable to help me nor yet refund my money although to be fair, the
last two books were purchased after the trouble began...I lived in hope it was a one of event..

I updated my Adobe digital editions, added Kobo desktop even though I don't have a Kobo reader so it was pointless, I didn't want to muddy thhe waters telling them I use calibre. All the books fail to download to ADE, or Sony Reader. One book did show up on the kobo desktop but not on my computer and as it could not be moved or synced on to my sony reader and I domn't read books off my computer this seemed pointless.

Has anyone elese experienced this problem recently with Kobo books?
What was the out come? I am wondering if they take off the books and refund my money do I try again to purchase them..or give up..I many times more times do I purchase from Kobo from specific publishers inthis case Ellora's Cave, and Siren-Bookstrand..before I give up.

Sad no Christmas Erotica!
sminarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
It sounds like your ADE account is mucking up .... how about you contact ADE support and see what they can do.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Do you have another computer you could try? Preferably one without ADE on it so that you can start fresh. Otherwise, I'd go with Lynx-lynx's suggestion and talk to ADE support.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Better yet, don't buy DRM-crippled books from Kobo.

Download epubs or remove the offal DRM - you bought it - you own it.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
ScottCaanFan
ScottCaanFan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch
Okay I think I have the same problem. I bought 2 books yesterday. But payment didn't go through. But books were still downloaded to my library and I can open them on my e-reader and my iPad. But I can't download the acsm files to my computer.

I don't think it's ADE because as they suggested I tried downloading the files in 3 different browsers and I keep getting the same message; Fout bij ophalen licentie. Communicatieprobleem met licentieserver:
E_ADEPT_DOCUMENT_TYPE_UNKNOWN In english it reads Download failed, error with retreiving License, communication problem with license server and then the E-ADEPT thing.

Now if other books download just fine in ADE I figure it's not a problem with either ADE or my account or my autorization.

I contacted Kobo about this and sure they're pretty fast in wanting their money for the books, but their suggestions are not helping and as I said I'm not going to contact ADE since I don't think the problem lies with them as other books download just fine.

I'm going to wait to see how they are going to solve this. I suggested to them to remove the books from my library so I can try and buy them again and see if payment goes through then. Never had a problem buying books from them before until now.

Almost makes me wish I waited for the Kindle Paperwhite to come out in my country instead of going the Kobo route now.
ScottCaanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCaanFan View Post
...Almost makes me wish I waited for the Kindle Paperwhite to come out in my country instead of going the Kobo route now.
Well if buying books from them is the only problem. Depending on your taste in genres and geographic location. There is always booksonboard.com, Baenebooks.com, ebooks.com, and barnesandnoble.com off the top of my head. I have only dealt with Books on Board and Baen Books and now only buy books from Kobo that I cannot get from either one of them. I have had really good experiences shopping at those 2 sites, cannot say the same for Kobo. That lack of a shopping cart is a real killer if you are buying a bunch of books. My last 2 purchases from Baen Books was 6 books each time. Simple shopping, easy cart management and quick download and best of all no DRM. Just wish TOR.com could get it in gear and get their ebookstore running (pushed back to spring/summer 2013 now).

Last edited by Danger; 12-06-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: fictionwise.com is now barnesandnoble.com
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
ScottCaanFan
ScottCaanFan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Well if buying books from them is the only problem. Depending on your taste in genres and geographic location. There is always booksonboard.com, Baenebooks.com, ebooks.com, and barnesandnoble.com off the top of my head. I have only dealt with Books on Board and Baen Books and now only buy books from Kobo that I cannot get from either one of them. I have had really good experiences shopping at those 2 sites, cannot say the same for Kobo. That lack of a shopping cart is a real killer if you are buying a bunch of books. My last 2 purchases from Baen Books was 6 books each time. Simple shopping, easy cart management and quick download and best of all no DRM. Just wish TOR.com could get it in gear and get their ebookstore running (pushed back to spring/summer 2013 now).
Well I'm in The Netherlands and yeah I'm actually considering to stop buying my books at kobobooks.nl because it seems a returning problem. I also posted on a Dutch e-readers board and someone replied there that she already had two instances of this happening to her too. Now if this is happening more, I'm not going to take any risk anymore and just buy the books I want from other sites. But we'll wait and see what kind of reply I will get and how they plan to solve this.
ScottCaanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I really do think people get too hung up on being able to buy books from a reader's built in or sponsored book store. I realize the manufacturer would prefer you buy from their store -especially if they sell the reader hardware at a discount, but unless they make it both convenient and cost effective people are going to shop around...

Never in history has it been easier to shop around for nearly any product and over such a large geography. I don't buy electronic parts from American resellers anymore, unless convenient, instead I can often source parts in higher quantities for less money directly from the factories that produce them or an agent. The days of the middleman are numbered unless they can provide added value or services.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I have to agree.
Buy the ereader that meets your requirements from where ever you wish.
Then buy your ebooks from where ever they are the cheapest, easiest, best quality - whatever matters most to you.
Strip DRM, convert formats if necessary and back them up.

Then read...
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #10
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I've done some comparisons and I find that Kobo store generally is cheaper than Amazon or eBooks, which makes it more attractive, evidently. Looking at the differences (sometimes up to €10!) I don't really understand how those prices are calculated. Now if only one could rely on Kobo store to deliver...
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And they have some good promo codes. There is a 40% off one that I've used for half a dozen or so books. Add to that Gateway discounting most of their classic SciFi, and I've bought far to many books from Kobo recently.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I really do think people get too hung up on being able to buy books from a reader's built in or sponsored book store. I realize the manufacturer would prefer you buy from their store -especially if they sell the reader hardware at a discount, but unless they make it both convenient and cost effective people are going to shop around...
Pity Kobo forgot about the "convenient" part of in-device purchasing, what with no cart so you can buy multiples in a single transaction and not revealing prices when searching - have to hit Buy Now (either in the search results or on the book's information page) and then you have to enter your billing information. Dunno about after that because I can't be arsed to enter the information so that I can finally see the price of the book I (supposedly) want to buy. :P [Kobo Touch, v2.1.5]
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I have to agree.
Buy the ereader that meets your requirements from where ever you wish.
Then buy your ebooks from where ever they are the cheapest, easiest, best quality - whatever matters most to you.
Strip DRM, convert formats if necessary and back them up.

Then read...
That's fine for a lot of people, but there are those who the big attraction is being able to browse for new books (either on the ereader itself or on their PC), and with just a few clicks of a button or taps of a screen, have the book appear on the ereader within seconds.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Pity Kobo forgot about the "convenient" part of in-device purchasing, what with no cart so you can buy multiples in a single transaction and not revealing prices when searching - have to hit Buy Now (either in the search results or on the book's information page) and then you have to enter your billing information. Dunno about after that because I can't be arsed to enter the information so that I can finally see the price of the book I (supposedly) want to buy. :P [Kobo Touch, v2.1.5]
To be honest, i don't care about the "cart". I only buy one book at a time. And I with coupon codes, if they were applied to many books rather than one, the codes would be much smaller and much less frequent.

I will agree however that it would be handy to see the price on the book's information page (I can see an argument that within the search results, there just isn't enough screen real-estate to include it).
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
That's fine for a lot of people, but there are those who the big attraction is being able to browse for new books (either on the ereader itself or on their PC), and with just a few clicks of a button or taps of a screen, have the book appear on the ereader within seconds.
For most books, I am not going to spend a lot of time shopping around (in the $10 or less category) and I don't fuss much about DRM as I am likely to read them only once. But, for a few expensive books I am looking for ($150+ range) I am willing to shop around and/or wait for coupon codes.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote