Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #76
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Nope you got to turn WiFi off yourself which is easy to do with the app. Great to know it works on the HD model! I would be lost without that app!
Another question for you Blossom.

What browser do you use and why do you like it? Do you use Flash for any websites? It seems like that is why people use other browsers? Or does Silk "spy" on users?

I noticed when browsing an item I bought at Amazon, it showed I purchased this on my account! It shocked me because I go to other wesbsites and worry and my personal info going to another website by malicious websites. Do you use a type of WOT (web of truth) that shows if green for safe, yellow for not, red for danger? This is what I use for Firefox, though not always accurate.

I don't like (yet I do for Prime movies) it automatically logs you into your Amazon account.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #77
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Another question for you Blossom.

What browser do you use and why do you like it? Do you use Flash for any websites? It seems like that is why people use other browsers? Or does Silk "spy" on users?

I noticed when browsing an item I bought at Amazon, it showed I purchased this on my account! It shocked me because I go to other wesbsites and worry and my personal info going to another website by malicious websites. Do you use a type of WOT (web of truth) that shows if green for safe, yellow for not, red for danger? This is what I use for Firefox, though not always accurate.

I don't like (yet I do for Prime movies) it automatically logs you into your Amazon account.
I use Silk with accelerator turn off on my KF.

Amazon always logs what what you buy and shows the little yellow banner. I love it otherwise I would try to buy things I already own not to mention it comes in handy to remember when it was purchased or given away. I can easily tell the others in the Romance Deals thread. This is a repeat freebie from last month and so on.

No I don't use a WOT. I've been on the net since 91 and I'm pretty saavy on knowing what is fake and what is a real site. I do use Firefox with Ad Block Plus to block ads and other malicious popups and I don't have flash installed. I use Chrome for flash sites.
Those are really all I worry about on my PC.

It's not easy to steal someone's info unless you go to a phishing site and give it to them. As for Trojans and malware most are in ads and popups so a blocker is necessary not to mention a good firewall and Antivirus and the occasional malware\spyware checker.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #78
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
I use Silk with accelerator turn off on my KF.

Amazon always logs what what you buy and shows the little yellow banner. I love it otherwise I would try to buy things I already own not to mention it comes in handy to remember when it was purchased or given away. I can easily tell the others in the Romance Deals thread. This is a repeat freebie from last month and so on.

No I don't use a WOT. I've been on the net since 91 and I'm pretty saavy on knowing what is fake and what is a real site. I do use Firefox with Ad Block Plus to block ads and other malicious popups and I don't have flash installed. I use Chrome for flash sites.
Those are really all I worry about on my PC.

It's not easy to steal someone's info unless you go to a phishing site and give it to them. As for Trojans and malware most are in ads and popups so a blocker is necessary not to mention a good firewall and Antivirus and the occasional malware\spyware checker.
Thanks Blossom. What does turning accelerator off on Silk do for safety or otherwise?

Okay as for the "Fire" I clean cookies, history. But otherwise what can you do for safety particularly on the Fire? Sometimes just opening a website can (malicious) setoff a virus.

But I mean (not sure if your original Fire is this way) Amazon keeps you logged in to your account even though you never logged in on the Fire HD. So they want you to BUY, BUY, BUY. I thought that is why people used a different browser on the Fire.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #79
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Blossom. What does turning accelerator off on Silk do for safety or otherwise?

Okay as for the "Fire" I clean cookies, history. But otherwise what can you do for safety particularly on the Fire? Sometimes just opening a website can (malicious) setoff a virus.

But I mean (not sure if your original Fire is this way) Amazon keeps you logged in to your account even though you never logged in on the Fire HD. So they want you to BUY, BUY, BUY. I thought that is why people used a different browser on the Fire.
No Silk sometimes doesn't render a website correctly. Like Dolphin will let me choose to fool the site into thinking I am on desktop so I don't get the mobile version. Turning of the accelerator keeps the pages from being cached on Amazon server. I find it causes pages not to load.

Android viruses are not wide spread on websites. The only thing to worry about is installing apps from the wrong source like Dark Net or unknown app with not too many reviews. Otherwise it's still pretty safe that I don't use even use a antivirus.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #80
new

Thanks Blossom

Quote:
No Silk sometimes doesn't render a website correctly. Like Dolphin will let me choose to fool the site into thinking I am on desktop so I don't get the mobile version. Turning of the accelerator keeps the pages from being cached on Amazon server. I find it causes pages not to load.

Android viruses are not wide spread on websites. The only thing to worry about is installing apps from the wrong source like Dark Net or unknown app with not too many reviews. Otherwise it's still pretty safe that I don't use even use a antivirus.
Which Dolphin do you have mini?. Could you provide a link like before? It really helped me before. It is hard to find all of the info here because it is sooo much info here to read. Is it from 1Mobile? Or a link to your favorite apps?

Thanks Blossom.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #81
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Which Dolphin do you have mini?. Could you provide a link like before? It really helped me before. It is hard to find all of the info here because it is sooo much info here to read. Is it from 1Mobile? Or a link to your favorite apps?

Thanks Blossom.
Mini on phone, full on KF or did I no longer use it on my KF. I don't do enough surfing. Link is here for Tablet version.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #82
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I finally have some time to play around to tinker with my 16GB KFHD. I have so many touch screen devices that I want to start configuring some for more specific purposes. The KFHD screen and sound are terrific so I'm going to eventually customize it to be a 7" media player.

It is completely stock and unrooted.

I've installed the following so far:

ADW Launcher EX - an alternative launcher.
MX Video - video playback (various formats)
Songza - streaming audio
Komik - cbz/cbr comic reader
Cool Reader - epub reader (looking for something better)
TuneSync - wirelessly sync iTunes playlists
WiFi File Explorer Pro - wireless file management
UberMusic w/Zune skin - Music player

Screenshots attached are of the ADW Launcher and UberMusic.

I've been a big fan of Microsoft's Zune media players and UberMusic does a fantastic job of replicating the Zune HD UI. UberMusic downloads artist pictures and displays them in the "now playing" screen.

I'm quite pleased with the progress so far and very happy that I upgraded my KFv1 to the HD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-22-15-49-22.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	94704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-22-15-46-44.png
Views:	625
Size:	778.6 KB
ID:	94705  
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #83
TheRuleslawyer
TheRuleslawyer began at the beginning.

Device: KFHD 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Doesn't work:
  • Gmail 2.3
You can get pretty much all the google apps except play working without root.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1895040

I have maps and gmail up and running. However you have to turn off notifications for gmail or it has a weird interaction with the notification bar. If you want notifications, just setup the default email client to update the notification bar and open gmail to look at your mail.

Aside from the above mentioned gmail issue I've found very few issues with the 20-30 odd apps I've side loaded. I rooted and installed play as well though.
TheRuleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #84
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleslawyer View Post
You can get pretty much all the google apps except play working without root.
I have maps and gmail up and running. However you have to turn off notifications for gmail or it has a weird interaction with the notification bar. If you want notifications, just setup the default email client to update the notification bar and open gmail to look at your mail.

Aside from the above mentioned gmail issue I've found very few issues with the 20-30 odd apps I've side loaded. I rooted and installed play as well though.
The post you quoted is from 2011 and for the Original Kindle Fire in which Google apps will not work without the framework and rooting.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #85
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
The post you quoted is from 2011 and for the Original Kindle Fire in which Google apps will not work without the framework and rooting.
Not sure what thread you're looking at but the link points to a thread from Sept 2012 about the KFHD.

WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #86
TheRuleslawyer
TheRuleslawyer began at the beginning.

Device: KFHD 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Not sure what thread you're looking at but the link points to a thread from Sept 2012 about the KFHD.

Well I guess she's right about the original post, but still the info I posted is for the kfhd 7 and 8.9 The google apps are tricky to sideload correctly since you need the framework.
TheRuleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #87
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post

Jack's post he quoted from. It's was from 2011 when the KF first came out.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #88
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuleslawyer View Post
Well I guess she's right about the original post, but still the info I posted is for the kfhd 7 and 8.9 The google apps are tricky to sideload correctly since you need the framework.
This is thread is pretty much for the original Kindle Fire up to 10/12. In the past month I have seem a few confused themselves with what apps work because they didn't look at the date, causing them to have to do a factory reset to fix their KFHD.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #89
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I've successfully sideloaded the Dolphin Browser (and other apps) on my Fire 2, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to add the "Add to Pocket" add-on. A link wants to send me to the Amazon store and I know it's not there. There is not an APK file for it on my Android phone. Anyone know how I can add this to Dolphin?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #90
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I've successfully sideloaded the Dolphin Browser (and other apps) on my Fire 2, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to add the "Add to Pocket" add-on. A link wants to send me to the Amazon store and I know it's not there. There is not an APK file for it on my Android phone. Anyone know how I can add this to Dolphin?

http://www.1mobile.com/search.php?ke...=dolphin%20add
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote