Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Oh cool ...

So assuming the Google book is DRM free, I can download and read in other app, is that correct?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Oh cool ...

So assuming the Google book is DRM free, I can download and read in other app, is that correct?
Yes, but it's even better than that. Google Books also supports/uses Adobe DRM (ADE) so even if it does have DRM you can read those books on devices and apps that support DRM. For instance Montano, Alkdio, B&N, Kobo, etc.. support Adobe DRM.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes, but it's even better than that. Google Books also supports/uses Adobe DRM (ADE) so even if it does have DRM you can read those books on devices and apps that support DRM. For instance Montano, Alkdio, B&N, Kobo, etc.. support Adobe DRM.

=X=
Ohh OK, now I remember , because the epub stuff.

I may check and spend those 25 bucks on any of those apps. ;-). Not planning to buy computer books from Google, but maybe self help books or non fiction stuff.

Thanks again,
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #19
kidslumber
Children's Author
kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Books on the Nexus 7

I have no trouble putting books on my N7. I already had my epub's in calibre. I keep my pdf books in a separate folder. To transfer epub's I have the choice of:
  • Switching on the calibre server and then connecting with the calibre bookmark in my chrome browser to browse my calibre libraries; or
  • Using airdroid to move the file from my computer to my N7

For pdf's I use the Airdroid app to transfer files.

For reading epub's I use FB Reader and for pdf's I use Repligo reader. Both support dictionary lookups.

I don't use the book reading app that comes with the N7.

As for likes:
  • battery life
  • speed
  • screen resolution

Dislikes:
  • Having to use the side button to unlock the screen
  • It's heavier than a Kobo (I know, it's also much more powerful)
  • No SD card slot

Last edited by kidslumber; 08-15-2012 at 02:08 AM.
kidslumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidslumber View Post
Dislikes:
  • Having to use the side button to unlock the screen
  • It's heavier than a Kobo (I know, it's also much more powerful)
  • No SD card slot
I never use the side button to unlock the screen. I unlock it using pattern unlock. Do you mean what you do when it has gone dark to get the screen to "show"? If so, with a case that uses magnets for putting the reader to sleep and waking it up you can briefly close and then open the cover for this. Works well, and easier IMO than fooling with the button.

I don't have any real dislikes.
  • Mostly I am impressed by how many more apps there are now that work so well on a 7 inch screen. This was definitely not the case when I bought my Vox last fall. It wasn't just that the Vox back then didn't have access to the market, either. Apps that I did get just didn't play as nicely with the 7 inch screen as those same apps do now that they have been updated and improved.
  • The device feels good in my hand. It is only about 2 ounces lighter than my old 7 inch tablet, but it is easier to hold and feels significantly lighter. I did not read on my old one, and I read a fair amount on this device--especially at night when I don't want to bother my spouse. Figuring out the screen brightness and getting the screen dim app adjusted has made a huge difference for this.
  • The device was sooo easy to root. I had the lack of SD problem solved in 5 minutes. I had never considered rooting a device before, but it really was very, very easy.
  • Now that the Calibre Companion app is available, I love being able to add books from Calibre wirelessly.

Like many people here, a lot of what I like has more to do with the apps that the device works so well with rather than with the device itself. The N7 is fast, smooth, and fun to use. I love all the choices we have.

I have customized mine so it is truly a joy to use every day. It took some time, btw. For example, I finally settled on a browser and learned how to play with the settings so I seldom have to zoom or adjust the screen. My keyboard of choice (SwiftKey) really has learned enough about how I write and what words i generally use that typing on it is amazingly fast.

I could go on and on...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

=X=
The Kobo app for Android does NOT currently support ADE. It reads kepub books and drm free ePUB. The one for iOS now does support ADE. The Android App may do so shortly. You can however use the ADE books from Google Play on the Kobo eINK devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I have had nexus 7 for quite sometime now, like how smoothly it runs. I mainly bought it to read PDFs and some light browsing. The screen resolution is so good that I have not touched my reader after getting this tablet. Will keep using it and will write more later.
About the bad now. I have found that the quad core processor shows a bit of lag sometimes, especially while accessing the play store. Some games also lag a little but I not much into games so no complaint.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #23
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
I love mine & I am happy enough with it as an e-reader that I am going to send my NookColor to my mom. I have found that I use the internet & apps on it far more than I ever did with the NC. As for being "useless" without an internet connection - since I'm still using an old feature phone w/o data, I don't miss the internet connection when I'm not home & just use it to read books then - personally, reading was the #1 use I had in mind when I bought it & I don't need internet for that.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #24
georges611
georges611 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Smile Cons with Nexus 7

I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of 4G support. I see that lack as a plus. If it had 4G you would have a phone company involved. Does the phone company ever update the operating system after you buy the phone. Of course not. They can't be bothered. You're expected to buy a new phone every two years in order to be current. The Nexus 7 is easily updated by Google. Connectivity is very simple through the WiFi connection via the hotspot on your phone.
georges611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I just got one so I will have to let you know.

In the meantime, how does one enable landscape mode and also how does one install flash player (latest version in play store is not compatible).
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

In the meantime, how does one enable landscape mode and also how does one install flash player (latest version in play store is not compatible).
Robert,

Not sure about flash, but landscape mode is enable at app level.

If you're taking about the Os or home, I think that a new launcher will do the trick.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #27
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
I'm very new at this, but if landscape mode is what I think, try this. Slide down from the top of the screen. A shade will appear. One of the icons controls rotation. It's a couple of curved arrows. Tap it to unlock rotation.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Check xda-developers.com's forum for the latest tips, hacks, downloads for all Android devices. I have been using them for years. You are sure to find a thread on this subject and frequent updates.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Here is a very recent review.

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2012/...t-its-missing/

Quote:
I’ve been playing with a Nexus 7 for a few weeks now, and on the surface it is an impressive tablet. It’s thin, light and feels very comfortable in your hands. The hardware is fast, the screen responsive and the interface feels very natural and fluid.

But for some reason, I can’t get particularly excited about the Nexus 7. When people have asked me what I think, I’ve been saying this: “It’s nice, but you know, it feels like just another Android tablet.”
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #30
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Quote:

No Flash for Android Jellybean & above going forward. This is a decision on Google's part and to my understanding affects all installations of Jellybean, not just the Nexus 7.

If you really need/want Flash, I'd follow HansTWN's suggestion to check out XDA.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote