Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
A Noobs Guide to Borrowing E-Library Books and Installing non Kobo Bookstore Books

Could somebody please do a guide? I don't know how all of this works. I gathered I need Adobe Digital Editions so I downloaded that but not sure what the next step is.

Was hoping somebody could do a guide. Preferably a guide for people who do not know alot about computers.

I'll add it to the OP here if anyone wants to take on this task.

Thanks Croptop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop895571
The procedure for Library books is quite simple really (I'm writing this from memory so I can't refer to exact menu steps but I can expand on this later if need be):

Initial Configuration (You only need do this once):
1. Install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your PC/Mac and link it to/create your Adobe ID (the software will walk you through this when you first install it).
2. With ADE shut down, plug your Kobo into your computer and allow it to mount.
3. Start ADE. It should detect that you have a Kobo reader connected to your PC and offer to Authorise the reader on your account.

Borrowing a Library Book:
1. Log into your local library account, select your books and download the file. It will be called Something.ascm.
2. Locate the .ascm file you just downloaded and double-click it. This will launch ADE. The software will process the .ascm file and download the book. It will then automatically appear in your library.
3. Connect the Kobo Reader into your PC/Mac using the USB cable. On a Windows PC, the reader will just appear in ADE. On a Mac, you will need to exit ADE (Command-Q) and restart it in order to see the Kobo Reader.
4. Drag the book cover in the main window of ADE over to the list of bookshelves and drop it on the icon representing the Kobo Reader. The book will be copied to the reader's internal memory.
5. Unmount the Kobo Reader from the PC/Mac and unplug the USB cable. The Kobo should now display a message that it is processing new files. Shortly thereafter, your library books should be listed in your Books I'm Reading list with a "New" tag.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Adding books (bought from other stores) to Kobo Reader:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop
Here's how to add ADE-DRMed .epub books that you purchased from stores other than Kobo to your Kobo Reader using Adobe Digtal Editions. You can probably also do this using the Kobo software but it won't install or run on my older Mac computers so I can't describe the procedure using the Kobo software:

1. Using your web browser or application of choice, purchase your books and download the .epub files. Make note of where they reside on your local harddisk.
2. Connect your Kobo Reader to your PC/Mac with the USB cable. Wait for the Reader to finish mounting (not strictly necessary for PCs but you must have the Kobo mounted on a Mac before starting ADE or it won't show up).
3. Start ADE. You should see the Kobo Reader listed at the bottom of the Bookshelves pane.
4. Add your recently purchased .epub file(s) to ADE by clicking the "Library" menu and selecting "Add Item to Library". In the resulting file browser window, navigate to the folder where you saved the .epub file(s), select it and click "Add". This will import the .epub file into the ADE library.
5. Open the book in ADE (just to be sure that you can actually access the book). Click on the Library icon (top left corner of the window) to return to the library view.
6. Copy the book to your Kobo Reader by dragging the cover of the book from the main window and dropping it onto the icon representing the Kobo Reader.
7. Unmount the Kobo Reader from the PC/Mac and unplug the USB cable. The Kobo should now display a message that it is processing new files. Shortly thereafter, your library books should be listed in your Books I'm Reading list with a "New" tag.

Last edited by bamelin; 05-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Great idea. Guide for the Toronto Public Library would be nice too.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
The procedure for Library books is quite simple really (I'm writing this from memory so I can't refer to exact menu steps but I can expand on this later if need be):

Initial Configuration (You only need do this once):
1. Install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your PC/Mac and link it to/create your Adobe ID (the software will walk you through this when you first install it).
2. With ADE shut down, plug your Kobo into your computer and allow it to mount.
3. Start ADE. It should detect that you have a Kobo reader connected to your PC and offer to Authorise the reader on your account.

Borrowing a Library Book:
1. Using your web browser of choice, log into your local library account, select your books and download the file. It will be called Something.ascm. Remember where you saved the file.
2. On your computer, locate the .ascm file you just downloaded and double-click it. This will launch ADE. The software will process the .ascm file, download the book and authorise it with the ADE servers. It will then automatically appear in your library.
3. Connect the Kobo Reader into your PC/Mac using the USB cable. On a Windows PC, the reader will just appear in ADE. On a Mac, you will need to exit ADE (Command-Q) and restart it in order to see the Kobo Reader.
4. Under "Bookshelves", click on "Borrowed" to filter your ADE library to only see library books (this is helpful if you have a large collections of books in your ADE library).
5. Drag the book cover in the main window of ADE over to the list of bookshelves and drop it on the icon representing the Kobo Reader. The book will be copied to the reader's internal memory.
5. Unmount the Kobo Reader from the PC/Mac and unplug the USB cable. The Kobo should now display a message that it is processing new files. Shortly thereafter, your library books should be listed in your Books I'm Reading list with a "New" tag.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Last edited by Croptop; 05-03-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Clarified steps; added more detail.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Wow. Thanks Croptop.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Croptop
Zealot
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 5
Here's how to add ADE-DRMed .epub books that you purchased from stores other than Kobo to your Kobo Reader using Adobe Digtal Editions. You can probably also do this using the Kobo software but it won't install or run on my older Mac computers so I can't describe the procedure using the Kobo software:

1. Using your web browser or application of choice, purchase your books and download the .epub files. Make note of where they reside on your local harddisk.
2. Connect your Kobo Reader to your PC/Mac with the USB cable. Wait for the Reader to finish mounting (not strictly necessary for PCs but you must have the Kobo mounted on a Mac before starting ADE or it won't show up).
3. Start ADE. You should see the Kobo Reader listed at the bottom of the Bookshelves pane.
4. Add your recently purchased .epub file(s) to ADE by clicking the "Library" menu and selecting "Add Item to Library". In the resulting file browser window, navigate to the folder where you saved the .epub file(s), select it and click "Add". This will import the .epub file into the ADE library.
5. Open the book in ADE (just to be sure that you can actually access the book). Click on the Library icon (top left corner of the window) to return to the library view.
6. Copy the book to your Kobo Reader by dragging the cover of the book from the main window and dropping it onto the icon representing the Kobo Reader.
7. Unmount the Kobo Reader from the PC/Mac and unplug the USB cable. The Kobo should now display a message that it is processing new files. Shortly thereafter, your library books should be listed in your Books I'm Reading list with a "New" tag.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post

That is very helpful (added to OP). Thanks alot!
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
sandnsea4me
sandnsea4me began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz
I get all the way to the end (unplug USB cable). My e-reader is showing the epub books in the file....and I open my Kobo reader. I click "import new material" on bottom....and it finds the books....HOWEVER, when I click "import" I get an error message saying that it wasn't able to complete the import. The books I can open on the Kobo reader are drw, but the 4 books from the library are -rw. What does that mean????
sandnsea4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
lindaf
lindaf doesn't litterlindaf doesn't litter

Device: kobo 1 and kobo wifi
I also have problems transferring library books. After transferring them from ADE to the Kobo, I eject the Kobo, wait for it to upload new content. And that's the end of it, the book does not appear anywhere: not in I'm Reading, not in My Books, not in All Books and not in Documents. Yet when I try to transfer it again, ADE asks me if I want to replace the existing file!

Where does this book (in EPUB format) go?

Thank you for answering me. I have spent many hours trying to fix this problem on my own, but I just cannot do it.

Linda
lindaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
allisone1b
allisone1b began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post

Croptop, you've been so helpful thus far--only I can't import the Kindle book file I just purchased into the ADE library. I can't find it. I cannot find an .epub file anywhere on my computer. It seems that Amazon.com downloaded the book to the Kindle application, and I can't get it out of there. Can you or anyone else help?
allisone1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisone1b View Post
Croptop, you've been so helpful thus far--only I can't import the Kindle book file I just purchased into the ADE library. I can't find it. I cannot find an .epub file anywhere on my computer. It seems that Amazon.com downloaded the book to the Kindle application, and I can't get it out of there. Can you or anyone else help?
Kindle eBooks are in a different format with different DRM. They are int ePub and they are incompatible with any eink reader except a Kindle. Unless you know how to strip the DRM and convert, the eBook(s) you have purchased from Amazon will have to be read with one of the Kindle programs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Good thread. Should be stickied somewhere

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-22-2011 at 07:44 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I like using Google Chrome for borrowing from the library because after you download there is a direct link in a bar at the bottom of the page and you just have to click and drag it from there into ADE.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
On occasion, I'm finding that I don't have enough time with my library books. I don't need to renew them for another 3 weeks (and I often can't, since other people are waiting for the book)... but a few more days would be perfect. If I set the date on my Kobo reader back a couple of days, would that give me a couple of days to finish reading the book?

Or is that too simple and therefore impossible? LOL
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I've never tried but have heard that you can reset your Kobo clock to get a day or two more. Remember to set it back before syncing with your computer or bad stuff might happen.

(kobo wifi-ers - will this work for you or is the clock auto-synced?)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
wizzard
The Reader
wizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watch

Device: Aura HD
Borrowed library book does not show up on the Kobo. ADE says that it is on the Kobo but I cannot find it in the reader. It is not an ePub but a PDF and I looked both under books as well as documents.
wizzard is offline   Reply With Quote