Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
jyoung2gu
jyoung2gu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Reader won't turn on or charge..

My wife bought me this Sony Reader for Christmas last month, and I love it. However, a few days ago the battery ran low and the unit powered off. I plugged it into the USB charger and saw that it was connected to the computer and let it charge. After a couple hours, I came back and ejected it but it still wouldn't turn on. When I plugged it back into the computer, it didn't even register a connection. I started looking for any similar problems other people had with this reader and found that some people had to buy the AC charger for the PSP and that worked fine. So I went to GameStop today and bought the charger, came home and plugged it in. It sat with the red light on for about 10 min and then the light turned off. It still won't turn on. I'm getting irritated now lol.. Anybody have any suggestions?
jyoung2gu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Have you tried to push in the reset button? Also, my daughters prs600 was eating battery life (draining within 20 minutes after a charge). The sony people recommended taking the back cover off (tiny screws), disconnecting the battery inside for 10 minutes, pushing in the reset, reconnecting the battery, then putting it back together. This fixed the problem and now it charges fine. Good luck. Worst case, get online on the sony site with them and they may help.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You may need to try a different USB port. Some USB ports do not supply enough power to charge the Reader, also if the computer you are using goes to sleep or hibernation it will stop charging the Reader and possibly re-drain the battery.

If any of the resetting methods recommended by 'mbelec' do not work, look at getting a used PSP wall charger. If you are in the U.S., they can be purchased for ~$7 at any GameStop. They will revive almost any dead battery when USB charging won't work.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Also if there has been a charging problem that caused a total battery drain then it should be charged for at least 6 hours (preferably overnight) regardless of the status of red lights or charge icons...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
jyoung2gu
jyoung2gu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
Have you tried to push in the reset button? Also, my daughters prs600 was eating battery life (draining within 20 minutes after a charge). The sony people recommended taking the back cover off (tiny screws), disconnecting the battery inside for 10 minutes, pushing in the reset, reconnecting the battery, then putting it back together. This fixed the problem and now it charges fine. Good luck. Worst case, get online on the sony site with them and they may help.
Thanks guys. Like I said, I had bought the PSP charger already but it wasn't really doing the job. I left it plugged in overnight and still got nothing. The charge indicator light would only stay on for a few minutes and then turn off. So when I woke up the next morning I plugged it in again and hit the reset button while the light was still on (kind of a duh! moment for me lol) and the reader turned on. Then I transferred it over to charge via USB because the light had turned off again, but this time it held the charge and I'm back in business. Thanks again for your help
jyoung2gu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
mstasak
mstasak began at the beginning.

Device: prs300+nook wifi+iPad
Similar issue

In case it ever helps someone.

My PRS-300 would not turn on. I charged with the PSP adapter, charged by USB, tried the paperclip, even paperclip+down+0 - nothing changed - all I saw was a red light when connected to any charge source.

What eventually worked was disconnecting it from USB, holding the power switch to on, and reconnecting the USB. The power light went amber instead of red, and a moment later it booted.
mstasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
melpay
melpay began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
mstasak thank you so much, your solution (disconnect USB, hold power switch to on and reconnect) worked perfectly!! thank you for sharing!
melpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
dsdodge
dsdodge began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
My wifes prs-300's screen wont turn on. After hitting the reset button the red light will come on when connected to usb or wall charger but if I try to turn it on the amber light comes on solid and the reader does nothing and the screen shows nothing. If i plug it in after that the light stays amber and the reader does nothing. The only way to get the red charge light back on is to then press the reset.
dsdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
angelalovesebook
angelalovesebook began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300
thanks!

Thank you so much for your tip,that was brilliant! I was lost without my PRS-300 when it wouldnt turn on or charge...i tried your tip and now it's fine! So thanks a million for taking the time to share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstasak View Post
In case it ever helps someone.

My PRS-300 would not turn on. I charged with the PSP adapter, charged by USB, tried the paperclip, even paperclip+down+0 - nothing changed - all I saw was a red light when connected to any charge source.

What eventually worked was disconnecting it from USB, holding the power switch to on, and reconnecting the USB. The power light went amber instead of red, and a moment later it booted.
angelalovesebook is offline   Reply With Quote