Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #16
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
2) Remove the Overdrive app from your device.

(If you had the OverDrive app on multiple devices, you might wish to repeat the nuke/delete for each one. We did, to be safe.)

2) Sign out of OverDrive on your Kobo.
Quote:

10) Repeat steps 2–9 for each additional library from you wish to read.
Thanks so much for taking the time to write the instructions. I'm going through them now. You have two ”Step 2”s. Which Step2 should I start Step10 on?

Last edited by droopy; 10-19-2019 at 04:50 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to write the instructions. I'm going through them now. You have two ”Step 2”s. Which Step2 should I start Step10 on?
Nothing in their method will change anything for you from my method. If one of those libraries doesn’t support overdrive there’s nothing that you can do to make it work with overdrive though you can ask them to consider using overdrive. Likewise if Kobo doesn’t carry the book you borrowed your options are to download it on your computer and load it that way or bug Kobo to carry it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Libby is just another front end to overdrive.

The Libby app used to have an overdrive sign in apparently it no longer does. However this seems to be irrelevant for the purposes of this thread.

Step by step process

I’m sorry for the rambling and the snark, it’s 2am and it’s been a long day.

Don’t apologize! You did great. I had no idea the OD login had been removed from the app, but you are correct. TBH, when Libby came out, we all assumed they were phasing out the OD app because Libby made the OD app redundant. You may not be too far off with that guess of yours on somebody having pull. It certainly doesn’t make sense otherwise.

It’s an odd dance, but it works—for now. You need an OD account to log into your Kobo and the Libby account to manage multi library borrowing. (There are quirks when trying to put a hold on the same book from multiple libraries, as well as sync issues when a book is renewed. Check the forums for more reports.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #19
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
… which is probably an awful lot of work, but since my daughter can now synchronize books across five different libraries on her Kobo, it was worth it for us.

That IS a lot of work. Now install Libby, add the five libraries to Libby, then be sure you’re logged into your Overdrive account on your Kobo instead of an individual library. You should be able to sync all five libraries onto your Kobo at this point, though only one will be the main library for interacting with the Kobo store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah I give the OD app a lot of crap but honestly it’s well deserved. If you’ve got OD working with multiple libraries and have that syncing properly to your Kobo adding Libby in should be easy just add the libraries to Libby and you’re good to go.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #21
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you’ve got OD working with multiple libraries and have that syncing properly to your Kobo adding Libby in should be easy just add the libraries to Libby and you’re good to go.
I can't get multi-sync working yet
Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I can't get multi-sync working yet
Yes but that’s because one of the libraries you use doesn’t support overdrive until that changes nothing you do to your Kobo will get it to automatically sync.

You could in if you have the skill set create something which automatically fetched your books from the non overdrive library put them through whatever app was needed to get the ePub and have that saved to Dropbox and tie this all into something you could trigger remotely.

However from everything you’ve asked on these forums I don’t think that’s the case and I’d be somewhat surprised if anyone wanted to try and cobble something like this together.

Actually you if you can get the ePub as an accessible file on your phone you can move it to your Forma through Dropbox. But it’s not going to be an automatic process from the Forma.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #23
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Yes but that’s because one of the libraries you use doesn’t support overdrive until that changes nothing you do to your Kobo will get it to automatically sync.
Three out of my four libraries have the "Sign in with Overdrive” button in my Kobo Forma. The fourth lets you sign in only with your library card

Quote:

Actually you if you can get the ePub as an accessible file on your phone you can move it to your Forma through Dropbox. But it’s not going to be an automatic process from the Forma.
I think I can get an epub in my phone through the Libby app, but wouldn't it be encrypted/DRMed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	575e1aa99bcfe96e2027d1ba05b48cdf.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	174440   Click image for larger version

Name:	09a0b397729309e9a73ee012d44c0ca8.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	174441   Click image for larger version

Name:	85ea3de9c52e00391a929a59fc63ae4c.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	174442   Click image for larger version

Name:	86424157de0e2bd26b2b755ddaeb14b4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	174443  

Last edited by issybird; 10-21-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Oversize images. Please read the guidelines regarding image size.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
MGlitch
Wizard

Libby wouldn’t have it as an accessible file. You’d need to actually see the file on your phone.
Really though this is trying to run uphill in the rain. It’s rather unlikely you’d be able to get the ePub on your phone in a manner which you have direct access to the file itself. The deck is stacked against you on this.

The three libraries should work if on your kobo you pick any one of them and sign in with overdrive NOT your library card and then use Libby to borrow the book from one of those three libraries AND the book is available from Kobo. You won’t need to sign in to another library on the Forma.

If the above isn’t happening say so. But if you’re able to borrow from those libraries and sync to your Forma again books available from Kobo then it’s working as intended. No fiddling will get the one that doesn’t support OD to sync with the rest.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #25
droopy
Guru

I tried downloading older versions of Libby from apkpure.com, specifically version 1.0.1 (the earliest version available on apkpure) and version 1.4.0, and neither has a way to log into my overdrive.com account
Old 10-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I tried downloading older versions of Libby from apkpure.com, specifically version 1.0.1 (the earliest version available on apkpure) and version 1.4.0, and neither has a way to log into my overdrive.com account
For Libby you just add your library cards you don’t need to login with overdrive.

I don’t know how it links them but it seems as long as you have an OD account with the cards and have Libby set up with the cards they connect. Presumably because Libby can access overdrive but that’s conjecture.

So again things you need

Library cards from libraries that support overdrive

Overdrive account with those cards linked to it

The newest version of Libby with the cards added

A Kobo which supports overdrive logged in to your overdrive account from any of your libraries which support overdrive

That’s it. Libby doesn’t need to have anything from you about overdrive nor does overdrive need anything from Libby. Your Kobo doesn’t need any card information nor does it need Libby it just needs the overdrive account.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #27
droopy
Guru

Multi-account syncing seems to be working. Some books don't download onto my Kobo at all:

7 Habits of Highly Effective People
Alone Together, by Sherry Turkle
Trump's America, by Newt Gingrich
Trumpocracy, by David Frum
Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #28
droopy
Guru

I noticed that when I sign out of my overdrive account and then sync my Kobo, the downloaded full-text books become previews
Old 10-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #29
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I noticed that when I sign out of my overdrive account and then sync my Kobo, the downloaded full-text books become previews
Yes, because they are no longer authorized on the device. Which is why using the Overdrive/Libby account with as many cards as you can link to it is better than signing in and out using the different library cards.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #30
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Yes, because they are no longer authorized on the device. Which is why using the Overdrive/Libby account with as many cards as you can link to it is better than signing in and out using the different library cards.
I agree.
I have 5 library cards. Four of them are linked together with an overdrive account. One of them doesn't have a ”Sign into your Overdrive” option (let's call it BankCity Library). I had to log out of my 4-account OD account so that I could sign into my BankCity Library account.